Page 1 of 2
I am about to have to move to a place where my stacks won't be able to be enjoyed as much. So I am going to sell them in a few months. Right now I am looking to upgrade my Zoom pedal to something better. I have only had one other M-FX pedal and that was a Boss GT-6. Which was awesome. So that leads me to think that the GT-10 would suit my needs. I don't have too much time to go to the guitar store and try them out since it's pretty far away and I work a lot.
My top budget is around 500.
I play pop punk. But I like versatility.
I want something to go straight to my computer and headphones.
I want to know if it's really worth getting rid of mine for something better. I am not entirely satisfied with mine currently. So that tells me I would be.
POD HD 500 seems to be the most suggested. I use effects. But not all the time. Mostly just amp models and compression. Doesn't have to be a floor processor but I do like it. Like if a rack is so much better than I will get that. Any suggestions?
GEAR:

1994 MIM Squier Strat with custom paint
Agile 3000

Peavey Valveking 100
Marshall Lead 1960
Marshall JCM 900 SLX
Carvin 4x12

Zoom G7.1ut
I use a Boss ME50 and it does everything I need it to and much more, so Boss's effects are definitely recommended.

The other one which is usually mentioned in these thread is the Digitech RP355, have you checked out their range?
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
TC Elec Nova Sys is amazing!
I highly recommend the digitech rp355.
Here is a great video demo of the rp255, which is a step down from the rp355, but they both have the same tone http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaQL-mafhcc
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Last edited by kutless999 at Sep 17, 2011,
I am very happy with my HD500 but it may be a bit of overkill, I make use of the mic input and control some vocal effects. You could consider the HD400 or 300. I have also got a Digitech RP255, the amp sims and distortions are not as good (I don't use them on the HD500 either as I plug into a good amp) - it is still good but I needed more footswitches as I got fed up only being able to go up or down patches.
If you are mainly interested in amp sims then the GT-10 is not the right choice. The HD500 is a good choice especially if you need midi or multiple control assignments per control switch. If not then the RP series is as good for less money. The Zoom G3 has some great amp models.
the best floor based processor is honestly the pod500. has amp and cab sims, has mic inputs, has 100 effects, and you can use 8 at once. you can assign any effect to any channel as well.

pretty much no other floor based processor has that ability.
Quote by 00_hns_00
the best floor based processor is honestly the pod500

This is opinion, not fact. Whether it can do all that you say is irrelevant, different people have different requirements and different preferences, so while it may be the best one for you, it may not be for someone else.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
you are saying that becuase you have a different one don't you?

its the most versatile = best.
Quote by 00_hns_00
you are saying that becuase you have a different one don't you?

its the most versatile = best.

Again, opinion rather than fact.

From what I've read about it, the POD works primarily on patches which include the effects you're after. I prefer having a unit which acts as 3 separate stomp boxes like my ME50 does (I hardly ever use the expression pedal, so could live without that part).

PODs also focus on providing lots of amp modelling - I'm happy with the sound of my own amp, therefore I don't need that part of it at all.

For me, the POD500 doesn't do what I want, therefore for me it is not the best.
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Sep 17, 2011,
Quote by GaryBillington

From what I've read about it,

a fool opens his mouth and proves himself to be a fool.

you are completely wrong, and a fool to not actually test a product yourself. so stop being a dumbass.

edit: you obviously don't know what patches are, nor do you know what banks are, nor have you obviously ever actually tried to use a pod pedal. much less the 500. so don't say its not a good pedal, or its not something that it is, without actually trying it. you want everyone to buy boss pedals because thats what you own. the reality of the matter is the fact that line6 pod hd500 is miles better than the shit roland puts out.

it has patches, with 8 individual effects you can control. and you can put any effect into any one of the stomp boxes. so i could have 8 delays, or 8 reverbs. it also has a plethora of amp and cab modeling, a volume pedal, a built in wah pedal, chromatic tuner, and usb to link up to line6 website and download professional artists sounds.
Last edited by 00_hns_00 at Sep 17, 2011,
Quote by 00_hns_00

you are completely wrong, and a fool to not actually test a product yourself. so stop being a dumbass.

edit: you obviously don't know what patches are, nor do you know what banks are, nor have you obviously ever actually tried to use a pod pedal. much less the 500. so don't say its not a good pedal, or its not something that it is, without actually trying it. you want everyone to buy boss pedals because thats what you own. the reality of the matter is the fact that line6 pod hd500 is miles better than the shit roland puts out.

it has patches, with 8 individual effects you can control. and you can put any effect into any one of the stomp boxes. so i could have 8 delays, or 8 reverbs. it also has a plethora of amp and cab modeling, a volume pedal, a built in wah pedal, chromatic tuner, and usb to link up to line6 website and download professional artists sounds.

Yeah, for $500 new
Quote by 00_hns_00

edit: you obviously don't know what patches are, nor do you know what banks are, nor have you obviously ever actually tried to use a pod pedal. much less the 500. so don't say
its not a good pedal, or its not something that it is, without actually trying it. you want
everyone to buy boss pedals because thats what you own. the reality of the matter is the
fact that line6 pod hd500 is miles better than the shit roland puts out.

It's a matter of opinion and to each his own.....
Quote by 00_hns_00

Obviously you haven't actually read my post. Either that or you are too ignorant to understand what I'm saying.

I DO know what patches are. My old effects unit used them and I decided I preferred not to use them.

I HAVE tried a POD, and it didn't work how I wanted it to work. Like I said in my previous post, and in this one - I prefer not to use patches.

I'm not sure how stupid you have to be to read that and still recommend a unit which works in the very way I've said I don't like to work.

I've never said it isn't a good piece of kit, I'm sure if you want to use patches, it's fine.

I don't.

I use my amps distortion, therefore I don't need any amp modelling or other distortions. I don't even use the distortion section of my FX unit.

I occasionally (and I mean very occasionally) use a bit of delay or chorus. My unit has one pedal which controls delay and another which controls chorus.

You don't need something like the POD with it's 100s of patches for that.

If you like it, fine, but that doesn't mean everybody else has to have one.

All you are doing is making yourself look stupid.

In future, READ what people have said before you say they are wrong.

In your opinion it may be the best, in my opinion it doesn't work how I want an effects unit to work therefore I've gone for something else which does.

As for the fool opening his to prove himself a fool I think you've proved to the whole world that you are the fool in question.

Did I make that easy enough for you to understand?
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Sep 17, 2011,
Quote by GaryBillington
Again, opinion rather than fact.

From what I've read about it, the POD works primarily on patches which include the effects you're after. I prefer having a unit which acts as 3 separate stomp boxes like my ME50 does (I hardly ever use the expression pedal, so could live without that part).

PODs also focus on providing lots of amp modelling - I'm happy with the sound of my own amp, therefore I don't need that part of it at all.

For me, the POD500 doesn't do what I want, therefore for me it is not the best.

I agree that it's merely opinion however the HD500 can be set so that switches 1-8 operate individual effects, not patches or it can be set for a mixture of both.
Just because some switches can be set for stomp box style operation still doesn't mean it's the best for someone's needs. I don't need amp modeling and I don't want in any of my pedals so I got a Line 6 M13.

Although for the OP an HD500 is best for him since he uses amp modeling.
Quote by Dilberto
I agree that it's merely opinion however the HD500 can be set so that switches 1-8 operate individual effects, not patches or it can be set for a mixture of both.

I'm sure it can - lets face it, any effects unit which uses patches could be programmed to work that way merely by programming a patch with only the effect you actually want.

Anyway, we're getting off topic. Someone asked about a multi effects unit. I recommended Boss, with a 2nd option of Digitech. Some people recommended the same, some recommended something different. It's all down to preference at the end of the day - that's all any of these kind of thread ever prove.

Now it's up to the guy who started the thread to decide which he's going to go for.
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
It's really up to a lot of preferences. For example if you like looping and want a drum accompaniment the Zoom G3 is the only multifx in current production that has it. Also if you have some specific preferences in amp sims you might find any one of the multifx better. The RP1000 is the only multifx that has both a stomp and amp loop.

But overall the HD500 does have the most range of features and up to date fx and good amp sims. The GT-10 is feature rich but the amp sims may not be the favorite.

There is no reason to be a jerk about someone saying it's opinion. The only thing that's fact is the feature list in the manual.
Last edited by fly135 at Sep 17, 2011,
Quote by GaryBillington

From what I've read about it,

FROM WHAT I"VE READ

WHAT I'VE READ

I'VE READ

yeah. doubt you seriously have even touched a pod 500 from that statement.

and the pod 500 CAN operate on patches if you want. you HAVE to set it up like that. you also CAN have a mixture, but you also HAVE TO SET it up like that.

it says so in the manual. so don't debase someones factual statements from your opinion. fact is, op said he likes amp simulation, op said he wants something versatile. he even mentioned the pod500.

does the gt series have tones of effects, yes. did op said he wants a bajillion effects? no. he didn't.

and since he can blend cabs and amps, to get new sounds coming out from his amp, and since he'll mostly only use compression too, then the 500 does seem to fit the bill doesn't it?

edit: i'm speaking form the experience of walking into my sam ash, having my friend set up the nicest digitech floor processor they had, the gt-10, and a pod500. you know what i found?

the digitech lacks a intuitive u/i.

the gt-10 has more effects and crap than most people could ever try out. but they sound just like most of the actual boss products, so if you love boss, then great for you.

but with the 500, i can customize the signal chain, so i can have my delay first or last, or maybe my verb, or maybe the distortion. or i could do 4 delays and 4 reverbs, or i can set up 4 patch switches and 4 stombox switches, and then i can play most of a set just using that. but lets not stop there. it also has a very tweakable u/i. i can mix a vox cabinet with a marshal head, or a marshal cabinet with a blackface head. i can go into line6's website, and download specific soudns patches, and then i can put it onto my board.

i can effectively have 8 songs at the ready, and turn on and off the stomps for when i transition to chorus and verse.

but, the gt-10 would be great if i used it in the studio, so that i would have all the stomps and such to my wishes. and if i use it as a producer, then i can have punk, rock, metal, new age, sounds all stored in there, so bands can find what they like quicker.
Careful guys.....
I'm sure it can - lets face it, any effects unit which uses patches could be programmed to work that way merely by programming a patch with only the effect you actually want.
QUOTE]

Not really, because hitting the next switch will turn off a previously engaged effect and hitting it again won't do anything but we're splitting hairs. My HD500 is fine but so was my Digitech RP255. It all depends on what you need it to do.
I hear Kyle's looking for somebody to ban
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
One of the things I enjoy about these forums is the times you get in an interesting debate about whatever the subject may be.

This is not one of those times due to someone who thinks he is right and believes anyone who has a different opinion is an idiot. I won't be looking at this thread again.
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
If you can push your budget, I would check out a used Eleven Rack. If not, I've heard great things about the TC Electronic Nova System, and the HD500.
I havent tried the POD HD so cant comment .

BUt dont rule out the good old Rocktron voodu valve . IMO it sound better than every modeling unit ive heard ( specially the cab simulation ) making it the best unit to play through headphone IMO . ive had : behringer v-amp2 , pod 2.0 , vox tonelab st , digitech gsp 1101 , roland cube etc..

and the rocktron voodu valve online is a winner . i sold everything else . dont spend 749 $ on it .. but if you can get one in the 250 $ range ... you should get one . IMO it sound better than any modeller ive tried yet .

*** another solution would be to just use software like LEPOU etc.. and get an interface to record /play .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
The thing I am looking for is a lot of good diverse amp models. With good delays and good compressors. I will be using this to record demos and if it sounds good enough then I will use it for my self release album coming up. I also like the portability of it if I ever want to take it to my dads and play it in headphones or through one of the stereos. I like being able to play any type of music I feel in the mood for. I LOVE my amps. I wish I could keep them. But I can't. I really would prefer not to use a software to play. Which has the best selection of good amp models? That will honestly sell me most. If I can find an 11Rack for 500 I will totally go for it. I hear they are awesome. But I don't think I will be able to find one that cheap. Bear in mind I will have to buy online. If it has a good mic preamp then that is a bonus. I don't need it. But I won't not use it. I usually use Marshall sims on these pedals. So whichever has the most realistic one to my JCM 900 would be my choice. Peavey patches are usually great too. I don't mind a good debate but you guys are pretty much attacking one another. The HD is starting to sound like the one for me. Just have to decide which model. The 300/400/500? The RP 1000 looks nice too. With A LOT of amp models. What about Vox? Are they any good? I mostly use high gain amps at a lower distortion because of what I play. But top notch versatility is really what I am after. I want a bunch of models. And them to all sound great.
GEAR:

Agile 3000

Peavey Valveking 100
Marshall Lead 1960
Marshall JCM 900 SLX
Carvin 4x12

Zoom G7.1ut
the 500 is the only one where you can completely customize the signal chain. its also the most tweakable.

http://line6.com/podhd/pro/index.html
will be better. its the pod pro rackmount.
it has 4 more amp models i believe, and more processing power. as well as a few more features that give it an edge above the 500. read all about it.

here is the pod500
http://line6.com/podhd/multi-effects/index.html

honestly, i would say the 500 if you ever go to gigs, but if you don't plan on that, the extra 100$ american for the pod pro seems more suited to you.
Quote by 00_hns_00
the 500 is the only one where you can completely customize the signal chain. its also the most tweakable.

http://line6.com/podhd/pro/index.html
will be better. its the pod pro rackmount.
it has 4 more amp models i believe, and more processing power. as well as a few more features that give it an edge above the 500. read all about it.

here is the pod500
http://line6.com/podhd/multi-effects/index.html

honestly, i would say the 500 if you ever go to gigs, but if you don't plan on that, the extra 100$ american for the pod pro seems more suited to you.

Geezzzz.......you don't have a clue!
Quote by mmjohn
Geezzzz.......you don't have a clue!

What do you mean?
GEAR:

Agile 3000

Peavey Valveking 100
Marshall Lead 1960
Marshall JCM 900 SLX
Carvin 4x12

Zoom G7.1ut
Quote by DustyR46
What do you mean?

Dont take his advice....it's not the most or the best!

Edit: read pages 14 and 15 it's all about routing the signal chain on the nova system...so the 500 isn't the Only one

http://www.tcelectronic.com/media/nova_sys_us.pdf
Quote by mmjohn

Can you elaborate?
GEAR:

Agile 3000

Peavey Valveking 100
Marshall Lead 1960
Marshall JCM 900 SLX
Carvin 4x12

Zoom G7.1ut
Quote by DustyR46
Can you elaborate?

Yeah check the link above.....
The marshall amps on The digitech rp1000 sound very good to my ears, and I use them all the time. I have the rp355, which has the same tone as the 1000.

Check out my recordings below. I'm pretty sure they both use a Marshall amp.
Last edited by kutless999 at Sep 17, 2011,
Quote by DustyR46
Can you elaborate?

Play everything you can get your hands on
If you want great amps and portability the G3 is a sweet pedal for $200. The songs Baldwin Park, Some Bird, Orange Chimera, and Outta Town in my link were recorded with a handheld recorder with headphones while sitting on a bench in the park. Battery powered, 40 sec looper, and internal drum machine.

I also have an RP1000, which has great amp models, and two loops (amp and stomp). The HD500 is feature rich and has a 48 sec looper. No real drawbacks. The RP looper is only 20 sec. And the lower model HDs are only 24 sec. If you want to jam with headphones then a looper is an asset. So are drums. The G3 does not have an aux if you jam to an mp3 player. Not sure about the others. Haven't even thought about an aux in on my RP. I'd have to check.

The HD has some good fuzz stomps. I have an M5 which has the exact same stomps as the HD. The HD has some sweet fx beyond the norm. But so does the G3. I had a Zoom G9 and I think the G3 is advanced in amps and fx over the G9. So IMO the G3 is not a repackage of the G7 you have.
Quote by mmjohn

Edit: read pages 14 and 15 it's all about routing the signal chain on the nova system...so the 500 isn't the Only one

http://www.tcelectronic.com/media/nova_sys_us.pdf

you cannot have 4 delays on the tc electronics nova. you can change the order the pedals are in. thats about it.

yes, there is some good routing you can do. but its not completely re-routable. you are limited to one delay at a time, or one reverb, or one distortion. i can't have 8 distortions on that.
I think I have decided on a Pod. Probably the 500.
GEAR:

Agile 3000

Peavey Valveking 100
Marshall Lead 1960
Marshall JCM 900 SLX
Carvin 4x12

Zoom G7.1ut
with the pod, i can have my amp before all effects, after all, inbetween, 2 delays on one amp and cab, with one delay on the other. and after the amps are blended in the chain, i can then add reverb and drive, and i can have a boost right before both amps, or maybe even just one amp.

nova can't do that.
Page 1 of 2