ok so i play metal/rock, currently have an sg special faded and jackson rr3. about to buy a new guitar, very interested in esp.
i like the sg body, so ive decided on the viper series, ive got the money for the $1500 esp standard, but trying to decide between the esp or ltd deluxe 1000. $700 dollar difference, but exactly the same specs, pretty much, so why pay the extra cash for the same guitar? is there a gibson/epiphone difference goin on here, is esp that much better? or would i be paying for the "esp" logo on the headstock basically?
In theory the 'real' ESP should have an all round better build quality, etc. In theory.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
I have an ESP Horizon and the other guitarist in my band uses an LTD MH-1000 from the same yea. Even though the specs are very similar there is a big difference, the better build quality on the ESP is actually obvious when you play them. Also a very weird thing is the ESP's neck is more rounded than the LTD, I have no idea why that is because they are supposedly supposed to be the same neck shape.
Quote by Demonhunter04
You are my hero nodurquack.
ESP build quality easily surpasses the machine built LTD models.
you can tell from just holding each and not playing how much better the ESP is.
but for $700 more, is it that worth it...
i mean im no pro by any means, i just do it for fun. i do want the best quality and performance imaginable, but i dont know if a little better build quality is that worth it for me
I've played some nice ESP's and some really nice LTD's I REALLY don't think that price gap is worth it for the extra quality. I'm not a huge fan of LTD's but I just don't think a REAL ESP is worth what you pay in comparison.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
I won an m-103fm two weeks ago and honestly, I was extremely surprised. It's as good as jackson's DK2 that runs about $800. So if an LTD that costs like 3-400 in stores I think is that good, I can only imagine what a real ESP is like. I'd say go for the ESP.
I think this video does a good job explaining things, even tho to my ears they sound the same but i bet they sound different in person and play different

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVhq4yQIFVM
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
Last edited by M_16A at Sep 17, 2011,
If you even entertain the idea that an ltd is within a bulls roar of an ESP, you are a spastic.

thankyou for listening.
Originally Posted by ibanez_guru
ARE YOU TONE ******ED??????

Thats not a dig either, its a serious question!!!!!!!!!

Quote by gregs1020
well i did sit 5th row for the who in '82.

ears are still ringing a bit.
I own a Ec1000 in VB and I absolutely love it, but there is a difference in the ESP. Now whether or not that difference is worth the money is totally up to you. I will say with the difference in build quality the best way to go LTD is to look at and play a bunch of used ones until you find one that plays really really good. Thats what I did and my friend who has an ESP from a few years ago said he couldn't tell the difference. I did however play 17 ec1000s before this one and several of them played much differently. With ESP the quality control is much better.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by VVolverin3
In theory the 'real' ESP should have an all round better build quality, etc. In theory.

In theory, yes.
I dunno for real though
In my opinion I think the price gap is too big. High end LTD's (1000's) are amazing. As said earlier, 'In theory', they should be much better but LTD's are very well made and sound similar to ESP's, especially the EMG versions.
Laney VH100R, Randall KH 4x12 cab, Harley Benton G212V, ESP LTD EC-1000, Jackson Demmelition King V, LTD KH-602, Tanglewood TW170, LTD EX-50, Squire Strat, Zakk Wylde wah, EHX Small Clone, Blackstar HT-5H
I think, having made the exact same comparison a year ago, that the ESP more than justified the price gap. the ESP is better built and made with higher quality components. Even little things, like better fret-wire and a better bridge make a difference in how the guitar resonates (which is immediately noticeable). The other point that sold me was that the ESP simply felt better. The fret work was nicer, the machining standards were tighter. Everything felt a little better.

I know a $700 gap for merely better, as opposed to a blow-your-freaking-mind difference, seems steep, but it really isn't. When you consider how many components and materials are better, you begin to understand the price gap. Above that, you have to consider the fact that performance-value is not a linear graph, its exponential (meaning, the more money you spend, the less every individual dollar is worth in terms of perceivable improvement). Yes, it is alot more money, but I think that it is money well spent

oh, and there's way less abalone so your guitar wont look ugly as all hell.
On 04/05/11 I ordered a Snakebyte from Music Makers in Farmington Missouri. Three days after the order was place I was informed the product was back ordered and would arrive mid June. The store promptly issued me $100.00 in store credit for my inconvenience and ask if I still wanted the item. I responded yes.

On 06/13/11 I called ESP Guitars to inquire why I hadn’t received the product yet. I was informed by customer service another shipment was due at the end of the month and I would receive my item by mid July. She assured me I would receive the item and went as far as to tell me my order was sixth on the list.

On 07/26/11 I called again to inquire why I still hadn’t received the product when I was promised it. Customer service said she didn’t know why I hadn’t received the product but another shipment was due by the end of the month (5 days away) and I should get the item the following week.

On 08/24/11 (29 days after I called the item arrive…it was broken. The personal at Music Makers said I shouldn’t accept it in that condition. I agreed and two days later the product was shipped back to ESP.

On 08/26/11 I called them again. Very displeased with my experience with this company I expressed my displeasure…no foul language or profanity was used but I made sure she understood I was upset. She told me a shipment was due by the end of the month (5 days away, again) and she would bump the list down and put me at the top. I was assured they would correct the situation.

As of 09/17/11 22 days have passed and I've heard nothing.

UPDATE

On 9/21/11 Another Snakebyte arrived at the store. The guitar tech pointed out there was a crack in the neck pocket area. It went from the top of the neck and half way around the backside. This just keeps getting better. On the 22nd his Esp rep told him it would be after the first of the year before they could send a replacement. I discussed getting my money back with the store. They said they would refund my money but they would rather work it out with another model of Esp because it's almost impossible to get money back from Esp...Esp is truly screwed up!
Quote by n1ckn1ce
cmparing ESP to LTD is like comparing Gibson to Epiphone. Or PRS to SE. Or Fender to Squier. See?

Fender to Squier is a bit exaggerated. Maybe Fender to Fender Mexico is more realistic...

Edit: actually I think the other 2 comparisons are exaggerated too PRS SE is waaaaaaaay worse than PRS... the gap between ESP and LTD is not so huge.
Ekam Sat
2014 Fender Stratocaster FSR American Standard Channel Bound Sonic Blue | 2015 Breedlove Discovery Concert CE Sunburst | 2016 PRS SE Custom 24 | Blackstar HT-5R
Last edited by davidrf at Sep 26, 2011,
Quote by davidrf
Fender to Squier is a bit exaggerated. Maybe Fender to Fender Mexico is more realistic...

Edit: actually I think the other 2 comparisons are exaggerated too PRS SE is waaaaaaaay worse than PRS... the gap between ESP and LTD is not so huge.

I agree, but the last sentence I would have said that PRS usa is waaay better, and not Prs se is waaay worse
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by VVolverin3

When it comes to ESP vs. LTD

Its never theory.

Its just fact.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
you can do whatever you want man. They are both good guitars.

I have some friends who are in a bands and have a ESP Horizon and LTD Deluxe. I asked the about the difference you said and they said that different is justified overalll and that the ESP sounds much better .

If you play in a band you could save the 700$ and buy an amp with them
Quote by davidrf
This.

You mostly pay for the "made in Japan" thing. High end LTDs are great guitars and in my opinion it's not really worth to pay like $1000 extra just to have a slightly better wood or fret work. If you have a lot of money and really need a professional guitar go for ESP though.
I just returned a Gibson LP 60's Tribute (P-90's) because I couldn't get with the pickups. I wound up taking the store credit and purchasing an LTD EC-1000 Deluxe. My first LTD and never owned an ESP.

This guitar is easily WAY better than the Gibson was in fit and finish, and the tone was better although that's subjective. The build quality is less subjective - finish, binding, tuners, ebony fretboard...everything just makes the LTD a far superior guitar to the Gibson at the same price ($850). Setup out of the box was perfect.

I'll never buy another Gibson...they are just WAY overpriced for the features they offer.

IMO you can't go wrong with that LTD EC-1000. And I've watch plenty of YT videos showing the Viper that make it very tempting.

Well I ended up just getting the ltd viper, and it's awesome. Feels great, looks badass if your a fan of sg's, and sounds amazing. Overall glad with the purchase, ended up getting a carvin legacy cab and Randall head with he 700 bucks I would of spent on the ESP, so the extra cash went to some much needed equipment. Thanks for all the insight guys.
^ seems like a good choice. Once you have the money you could always sell your LTD and get an ESP if you want. Or just keep playing the LTD. I have an LTD FX-400 that I plan to never get rid of, it's such a nice guitar.
Quote by progrmr
I just returned a Gibson LP 60's Tribute (P-90's) because I couldn't get with the pickups. I wound up taking the store credit and purchasing an LTD EC-1000 Deluxe. My first LTD and never owned an ESP.

This guitar is easily WAY better than the Gibson was in fit and finish, and the tone was better although that's subjective. The build quality is less subjective - finish, binding, tuners, ebony fretboard...everything just makes the LTD a far superior guitar to the Gibson at the same price ($850). Setup out of the box was perfect.

I'll never buy another Gibson...they are just WAY overpriced for the features they offer.

IMO you can't go wrong with that LTD EC-1000. And I've watch plenty of YT videos showing the Viper that make it very tempting.

The Gibson wasn't the right guitar for you, but I don't think it is inferior.

The Gibson has a few things the EC-1000 doesn't offer, namely the maple cap and chambered body. Also, Ebony isn't better than Rosewood, that's preference.

The only area that matters where I think Gibson cheaped out on the 60s tribute is the tuners. But, ESP cheaped out when they manufactured it in Korea, that's the whole point of the LTD line, so I don't think better tuners makes it a better guitar. Gibson also doesn't use binding on their Studio line tbecause they are still made in the USA so they have to save money somewhere to sell them for less. And the finish may be faded and nothing special, but it's still a nitro finish.