So i've been wanting to get a 7 string guitar for a while and until now have been too lazy to go out and try some. I played a Schecter C-7 but the neck was too rounded for me and the guitar is quite heavy which I don't want on stage. I also tried out a few Ibanezes and after playing each one extensively through a 2010 Dual Rec + Mesa 4x12 I settled on what I feel is a very under-rated and excellent guitar for the price.

A 2011 Ibanez RGA7

I know you can get used Prestige 7's around for not much more than these retail for but I have decided that trems are just not my thing so this was perfect for me being a 7 string beginner. Gibraltar fixed bridge, beautiful flat fretboard, very nice smooth frets, nice thin and comfortable neck, and very lightweight. The build and finish quality are phenomenal for a guitar in this price range.

As with most Ibanez guitars the stock pickups are very muddy but I will be swapping them out for sure. The action is nice out of the factory and really can't fault it for $825!
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Sep 18, 2011,
Good stuff dude. I very nearly bought an RGA7 after playing one at a store for a long time. Then at the last second I told them to order me a RG1527 instead - very happy with that decision.

But yeah the RGA is an awesome guitar, and yes the pickups are pretty much terrible.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
825? Ouch.. But really if it suits you, HNGD! for 825 you could have scored something great used, but there's nothing like a new guitar (so I've heard, never had one myself)

I love Ibby sevens.
when i went to try a 7 string this is what i played, its awesome
Quote by TheAbsentOne
825? Ouch.. But really if it suits you, HNGD! for 825 you could have scored something great used, but there's nothing like a new guitar (so I've heard, never had one myself)

I love Ibby sevens.

Yeah Like I said I could have probably found a Prestige used for around $1200 but I am not a fan of trems and wanted a fixed bridge
Quote by TheAbsentOne
825? Ouch..

Gotta remember bro, that's 825 Aussie moneys. The RGA7 rrp over here is probably like 1299 or something, and it's listed at 999 at my local shop. In fact I think when I was about to buy one (probably a year ago now) it was $1025 or something like that.

So for a new guitar that's not too bad (relatively speaking).
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
How are you finding the jump from 6 to 7? Is it comfortable and do you find it easy to get used to?

I want one HN7SD
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
How are you finding the jump from 6 to 7? Is it comfortable and do you find it easy to get used to?

I want one HN7SD

Yeah it's not as bad as I thought it would be. I'm playing it in Drop A mind you instead of B standard
Nice find mate
HNGD
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
Well, I don't usually like Superstrats/ RG series Ibanezes. They bore me. But that's pretty nice. Slap some gold hardware on that bad boy.
Quote by VVolverin3
Gotta remember bro, that's 825 Aussie moneys. The RGA7 rrp over here is probably like 1299 or something, and it's listed at 999 at my local shop. In fact I think when I was about to buy one (probably a year ago now) it was $1025 or something like that.

So for a new guitar that's not too bad (relatively speaking).

Didn't realize it was Aussie money, sorry!

RGA7's in the US are $550. Used would probably be 300-ish. Though I've never seen one used. Musicians Friend has used ones for $440, level 2 condition.. I guess that's not bad.

I don't know conversions or whatever so if you got a really good deal, HNGD!
Quote by TheAbsentOne
Didn't realize it was Aussie money, sorry!

RGA7's in the US are $550. Used would probably be 300-ish. Though I've never seen one used. Musicians Friend has used ones for $440, level 2 condition.. I guess that's not bad.

I don't know conversions or whatever so if you got a really good deal, HNGD!

Yeah they RRP here for anywhere between $899 - $1000 so $825 plus a free pack of strings and half price Gator case was a bargain

Yeah i'm gonna be swapping out the pups and will probably look at hardware too although I really like the Gibraltar bridge