Lead Guitarist here, I don't know much about tube amps except that they're used by pros/advanced players. And they're mostly used for their gain. So explain to me the basics of them: tubes, power amp, pre-amp, maintanance, etc...

As for the amp I need a good/great amp that can fill anywhere from an Applebee's to a Convention(Comic-con)/Theatre(Where you see plays) that is around 600-800$, so suggest away. Obviously a tube amp.

I play medium to high gain songs. In any case I can just get a pedal for more gain, right?
Last edited by Barretoguitar at Sep 17, 2011,
^ Yeah I know, lol. Just do like...(in this thread)

Budget? xxxx

Genres? xxxx

New or Used? xxxx

Home or Gig? xxxx

Closest City? xxxx

Current Gear? xxxx

It's kind of tedious, I know...but 99% of people on GG&A won't even respond to your thread unless you list all these things.

That said, it really does help us when helping you to choose your amp. There are thousands of amps out there...and this list helps us find out which one is right for you.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Also, if you want to know about tube amps like you said (how they work, maintenance, etc), then all the info you need is right here.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278232

It's divided into helpful categories. You'll get a lot better info here than someone explaining it in this thread. Good luck!
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Budget- 600-800$

Genres- alt. rock, grunge, nu metal. medium-high gain

New or Used- New

Home or Gig- More for gigs but ill also use it for band practice.

Closest City- San Juan, Puerto Rico
Current Gear- None or basically just my guitar= Gibson SG Standard.
Quote by Barretoguitar
Budget- 600-800$

Genres- alt. rock, grunge, nu metal. medium-high gain

New or Used- New

Home or Gig- More for gigs but ill also use it for band practice.

Closest City- San Juan, Puerto Rico
Current Gear- None or basically just my guitar= Gibson SG Standard.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/blackstar-venue-series-ht-club-40-40w-tube-guitar-combo-amp (This amp will cover any genre. It's extremely versatile and powerful enough for bedroom practice or live performances)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jet-city-amplification-jca-series-jca5212rc-50w-tube-guitar-combo (I don't know much about these to be honest, but a lot of people love them and from what I've heard, they sound great and should cover those genres)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/peavey-6505-112-60w-1x12-tube-combo-guitar-amp/582106000001000 (I'm not a fan of these, but some people are. The cleans are pretty bad but it has nice overdrive tones)

These are just some suggestions that should fit off the top of my head, someone might have a better suggestion after me. Most people in the US are still asleep, though...so give it like 5 hours and you should have some helpful responses!
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Last edited by Ayses at Sep 17, 2011,
well you could just do some research. i can try to give you a basicl rundown:

jesus where to start. tubes. 2 types - preamp and poweramp tubes. preamps are teh small ones (mostly 12ax7s today) and power amps are teh big ones (lots of varieties. most commonly el84s el34, and 6l6). A lot of things determine wattage, but tubes are the main factor. for example a el84 generally puts out between 10-15 watts. an el34 generally puts out about 25 watts. different brands of tubes sound different. thats why a 100 watt tube amp with el34s generally has 4 of em.

different classes of amp sound differently such as class A, class AB, etc. wattage does not equal loudness, but it does equal power which effects headroom. it also effects the ability to push high gain and still retain good bottom end and definition.

Tube amps are not mostly used for thier gain, they are used to sound natural. even some of the best clean tones ever are through tube amps.

general rule of tumb is for every doubling the power, you only get about 3 DB volume increase. so a 100 watt amp is NOT 2x as loud as a 50 watter. in the long run, your speakers probably make more of a difference.

again, wattage effects headroom. cranking a10 watt may be as loud as a 50 watt, but the 10 watt will naturally overdrive and have a great sounding distortion. the 50 watter will still be clean.

tube amps have the potential to OVERDRIVE themselves and output 2x thier listed wattage. so a 20 watt combo may in fact have the ability to output 40 watts. when it does this, it WILL BE crunchy and distorted. an overdriven amp does not sound clean. you know classic rock like the stones, the who, etc? That sound is by cranking a 100 watt marshall with no master volume. they played at ludicris volumes, and played with overdriven amps. that is why pete from the who is half deaf now.

yes you can use pedals or overdrive to manupulate your tube amp.

Wattage doesnt really matter for you. if you play in a big setup like a concert hall, your amp WILL BE miced. you would have to be stupid not too. in that case, you are playing through the PA and volume doesnt matter. what does matter is HOW YOUR AMP SOUNDS.

as stated, get the amp that suits your needs and gives you the right sound. volume is a mute point.
Last edited by ikey_ at Sep 17, 2011,