I know that the key of C and Aminor have the same notes in them, so the same pentatonic scales can be used in these keys, but whats the difference between them? There is obviously some difference between parallel keys, cause else it would be called the same key, wouldnt it? Could anyone explain this to me ?

P.S: I have to note that I am not a "pro-music theorist", so please please please keep it simple with explaining!

Thanks a lot !
Last edited by kiraly5 at Sep 17, 2011,
I don't think there is a difference other than in C Major the tonic is C and in A minor the tonic is A.

C Major: C D E F G A B
I ii iii IV V vi vii
A Minor: A B C D E F G
I ii iii IV V vi vii

No sharps, no flats.
These are called relative keys. Parallel keys are say C major and C minor, or A major and A minor.

For relative keys, they have the same notes, and they're linked, but in A minor you resolve to A, in C major you resolve to C. Sometimes in A minor the 7th will be raised (G#) and this will tell you that it's definitely in A minor (no modes people). So they're linked, but one resolves to A, the other to C.
Quote by ownedmatt
I don't think there is a difference other than in C Major the tonic is C and in A minor the tonic is A.

I ii iii IV V vi vii
I ii iii IV V vi vii

No sharps, no flats.

this, the only difference is that the I in C major is C, ii is D, iii is E.... in A minor the I is A, ii is B, iii is C...

so that changes how you think of chords and how you think of the notes being related to the intervals all together.
A parellel key is a scale with the same tonic, just minor [or major, depending on what you started with]. E.g. C minor is C major's parallel major.

A relative key is a scale that uses the same notes, but starts on the sixth for relative minor, or the 3rd for relative major. E.g. G major is E minor's relative major.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
As said, what you described is a relative key.

Those two scales, as you say, can be used over Am or C because the scales you're using contain notes that are in Am or C. The scale isn't really defined by the notes in the scale, but rather the harmonic context behind them. A B C D E F G can be C major or A minor, but you can only tell what key it's in with the background. If you play without a backing, your choice of notes and what notes you hit on the beat will strongly imply something.

For example, if you play Am|F|G|Am, it's very likely you're in Am. ABCDEFG over that would be A minor. But if you play C|F|G|C and you play ABCDEFG, you're most likely playing C major. When something is ambiguous, you look to see what context it's in.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Agree what you described is a relative key.
Last edited by megaduu at Sep 17, 2011,
Quote by kiraly5
I know that the key of C and Aminor have the same notes in them, so the same pentatonic scales can be used in these keys, but whats the difference between them? There is obviously some difference between parallel keys, cause else it would be called the same key, wouldnt it? Could anyone explain this to me ?

P.S: I have to note that I am not a "pro-music theorist", so please please please keep it simple with explaining!

The difference between relative keys is where the piece of music resolves to.

Play this progressions: C/G/Am/F/C.

Do you feel how the final C feels like "home"? Notice how different the chord progression feels, how unresolved it feels, if you leave off that final C.

Now play this chord progression:

Am/F/G/Am

Notice how it resolves to Am in a similar way.

That's what determined your key.
Quote by ownedmatt

I ii iii IV V vi vii
I ii iii IV V vi vii

No sharps, no flats.

No.

C major is: I ii iii IV V vi vii

but

A minor is: i ii III iv v VI VII

C major resolves to C major, A minor resolves to A minor, as said.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3