So i got into a discussion with my dad about soldering indoors, basically hes paranoid about fumes and things burning and such.
Till now I have been forced to do my wiring on the balcony due to his complaints.
Could u guys give us a pros and cons list about soldering on the dining table with a thick rubber mat for protection pls.

BTW 60 watt soldering iron and i always use a sturdy stand for the iron!

-Thanks in advance
Most soldering work is done in doors in labs anyway. You can do it anywhere you have power though.

The fumes contain no lead at all. The boiling point of lead is much higher than the temperature that you will do soldering at. The fumes are not incredible toxic, but you do not want to breath them all the time. They do make small desktop fume extractors.

As for a mat, you can buy heat proof mats. Most antistatic mats that you can get from places like Grainger are heat proof when using a soldering iron.

As for pros and cons, the work can be done well indoors or outdoors. If you are doing delicate work, like SMD work, then you do need to do it indoors. Otherwise it is fine to do it outdoors.
Last edited by XgamerGt04 at Sep 17, 2011,
I've been soldering indoors for a few decades now.

The fumes are mostly just the resin in the solder boiling off. The metals in the solder itself don't get hot enough to turn into a gas.

The resin isn't really harmful, but it does smell so you want to be in a well aired environment. I usually solder with a small desk fan nearby. Although I've never done soldering work on the dining table as resin can boil and 'spit' small blobs everywhere and can get past the edge of a protector pad. Over time this will spoil the table top.

You wanna solder on a workdesk which you don't mind getting dirty
Last edited by Phoenix V at Sep 17, 2011,
Most soldering work is done in doors in labs anyway. You can do it anywhere you have power though. It is right
Last edited by megaduu at Sep 17, 2011,
Soldering is an art... Rule 1, keep your iron's tip clean... Use a wet sponge, or a solder tip cleaner... Looks like a Brillo pad in a small cup, I like to solder over a glass table. The solder won't stick to glass... Watch your shoe laces too... Soldering inside is just fine... Don't know about pets such as birds or others, dogs noses are very sensitive... I love the smell of fresh solder... But if your unsoldering old stuff it can be pretty harsh... Using a fan is ok but it might mess with keeping your tip hot... I use a 500 degree tip, long coneical type... Strait , if the room is cold it can be hard to keep your iron hot too... Another thing is a good lil vise, such as a panavice... Hemostats are ok for some stuff but it might make it tricky too, they can asorbe heat from the iron tip... Solder wick is handy and a solder sucker... Learning to solder is cool, I've been doing Studio installs here in Atlanta for years... When first starting out , learn to unsolder things and you'll get a feel for it...
If you want to be careful, do it next to an open window with a fan blowing away from you to suck the solder fumes away. And you could wear a doctor's mask or something for extra super duper protection.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
If you use a fan you want it to pull air away from you, rather than blow towards you. The fan shouldn't really affect the tip as it will be temperature controlled usually.

Rosin is a respiratory irritant in large amounts, and there is some thought that it may cause cancer... but you would have to be sitting in a very small room soldering for 8 hours a day to really cause that.

Also, the doctors mask won't really protect you that much. They are designed for much larger particulates. Nor will a paint mask.

As for cleaning the iron, if you can find them, some places sell brass shavings that are coated in flux. They will keep your iron tip clean forever. I can leave my iron on all weekend at 425C and still clean every bit of the carbonized organics off.
Last edited by XgamerGt04 at Sep 17, 2011,
Quote by XgamerGt04
As for cleaning the iron, if you can find them, some places sell brass shavings that are coated in flux. They will keep your iron tip clean forever. I can leave my iron on all weekend at 425C and still clean every bit of the carbonized organics off.

Link? That sounds mighty useful.
I do my soldering inside, in my basement. No problems.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by zubin.isaac
Alright thanks for the help with this problem of mine.
BTW do soldering irons mark wood very easily, or would it take a couple of seconds to actually do anything?

they mark them pretty quick, don't do it on anything wooden that you care about. I burnt a pretty big mark - and into the wood, too - into the table I solder on (my family's old kitchen table that is now a tool table) in a few seconds.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by zubin.isaac
Alright thanks for the help with this problem of mine.
BTW do soldering irons mark wood very easily, or would it take a couple of seconds to actually do anything?

It's pretty much instant. The full extent of the mark depends on the time to take to lift the iron off the table
sorry for dragging out such a simple question but: when people say the fumes aren't that toxic, exactly how toxic is that toxic? coz say i soldered in one room would the fumes get around the house and mess with my family or are they actually harmless?
Electronic solder is made to be relatively safe to use to everyone from the home hobbyist to large scale commercial production houses. Like I said before I've been hand soldering for decades. The fumes are just the resin core in the solder boiling off when its heated.

But you still need to exercise common sense

No fumes of any kind are harmless (solder resin is no exception) in dense concentration for prolonged periods. So that means you don't solder with your head right over your work, directly inhaling all the smoke travelling up to your face. If you are doing this, then solder with your head to one side of the work. Solder in a well ventilated area, use a fan if you need to. Wash your hands afterwards to get the residual metal off your fingers. This is just common sense stuff really.

It won't harm you or your family in other parts of the house. But they will still smell it, so they'll know when youre soldering.
i do it in my room i just turn on a fan and it's all good
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
it's a frikken piece of metal that gets hot.... and the solder's some frikken piece of metal that melts.... you're not gonna burn down anything or make anybody think you've got Jews in your house.
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
pros: you don't die from inhaling dangerous fumes , you stay warm and dry, birds wont shit on your stuff.
cons: set house on fire, die from inhaling dangerous fumes, birds shit on your stuff.

I solder in my room and its smells like shit for a few minutes. I would go outside but i dont feel like setting up extension cords so , just keep a window open.
press ctrl + w
When I changed pickups in my Explorer I did all the soldering in my room/on my bed. No biggie! ^^

And I'm one of those who like the smell from things like soldering fumes and gasoline, so I don't mind the smell! xD
Damn I must have killed a lot of brain cells over the years (besides the ones lost drinking)! xD

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Schecter C7 Jeff Loomis FR (18volt mod)
Epiphone Gothic Explorer (with SD Blackouts)
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Peavey C5 Tigerwood 5string bass
Randall RH150G3