Has anyone ever heard of this amp? I guess it was made years ago and discontinued, but gained almost a cult following. Every forum, etc. that I've read has said to pick this gem up as it's almost perfect for modern metal. There's a Craigslist ad near me selling this and I'm wondering if anyone here has some feedback?
All your base are belong to us.
From what i've heard they're great for Pantera, Mudvayne type metal which is very dry and grinding. They're solid state, and I haven't played one myself but they're well known around this forum too.
That's great! The only decent sound clips I got were from this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buoNkSnhbVQ

And it seems like he only has an account to promote this amp, so I'm feeling a little bias coming from that source. It's only a head, but I can find a cab no problem. I just got a Valvetronix VT30 so I'll wait a bit to check out that Ampeg.
They definitely have a few fanboys going about. Wait for them to chime in

Also the guy that made the clip you posted, joey dahlia is a total nutball.. see klops
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Sep 17, 2011,
Haha oh yes, I've seen his website and everything. Seems like an over-the-top mascot for the amp or something.
I actually do have one of these. Its on of the older ones but its still the VH-140c. I really like it alot. Yes it is solid state but dont let that turn you away.

It's a great head for metal but it kind of has a distinct sound to it. And I will say this about it, it is not a very scoopable amp. If you keep the mids real low the amp really loses its balls. Keep the mids up though and you have a real powerhouse. The cleans on it are great too. If you have any other questions about it feel free to PM me or something.
(Gear in profile)

Yes I do like metal, no I'm not a close minded idiot.
I love mine....it does everything....... great cleans, the stereo chorus is great, the dirt channel is legendary. Well almost everything the reverb is on the weak side
Fantastic setup, looks great. Is that a 2x12 or 10 combo?
Personally I think they are the most over-rated amp in the history of amplifiers but if you like it that's your prerogative I guess.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Xp3ns1v3
That's great! The only decent sound clips I got were from this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buoNkSnhbVQ

And it seems like he only has an account to promote this amp, so I'm feeling a little bias coming from that source. It's only a head, but I can find a cab no problem. I just got a Valvetronix VT30 so I'll wait a bit to check out that Ampeg.

From the YT video description:

The Ampeg VH140 C IS The #1 SS amp, it's the #1 amp in the world for recording lead guitar..So dump your tube amp

But from what I've heard, stick a Boss HM-2 in front of that, and you'll get a great In Flames sound from Lunar Strain up to Reroute to Remain.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by Xp3ns1v3
Fantastic setup, looks great. Is that a 2x12 or 10 combo?

Thanx 212.......for $250 its a killer amp for the $$
But let's be honest, if it was a valve amp you wouldn't give it a second look. The only reason people rave about them is because they are SS and they don't sound like as much of a steaming pile of smeg as all the others.
As SS amps go it's pretty good but that's like saying a Soviet era Skoda is a good car for a commie car. Sure they are, but only with that caveat. On the world stage they'd be rated right down near the bottom.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
But let's be honest, if it was a valve amp you wouldn't give it a second look. The only reason people rave about them is because they are SS and they don't sound like as much of a steaming pile of smeg as all the others.
As SS amps go it's pretty good but that's like saying a Soviet era Skoda is a good car for a commie car. Sure they are, but only with that caveat. On the world stage they'd be rated right down near the bottom.

Your entitled to your opinion
i went to a guys house on a cl deal, i bought a cab off of him. we got to talking and said he picked up this ampeg and he was like "sell your tube amps, they are a waste bla bla bla" it sounded pretty good. i really did like the sound of it. i wouldn't ever trade any of my tube amps for one (well maybe the blue voodoo) they are pretty cool.

also i bought this hybrid 70 watt combo offo f CL for $50, speaker was a made in england celestion, acutronics tank, etc. it has the most beauitiful cleans. being its hybrid you get that little bit of natural drive when you dig in on a note, (but not much), but cleans up just like a JC120 crossed with a fender twin. cool amp.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by mmjohn
Your entitled to your opinion

You're no fun. What's the point of trolling if you don't bite?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
For something different i want one.

Theyre pretty br00talz. Theres a few death metal bands that use them.

Theyre well built, no valves to change, pretty cheap, sound good. WHat's not to like?

Quote by Cathbard
You're no fun. What's the point of trolling if you don't bite?

I don't think you've been properly kicked in the chest by a 140c on 11 because it has no tubes....sounds like a

And now you think you're going to return the troll and I'm gonna bite?

But trolling aside, I really don't like 'em man. Dry and lifeless. As warm as week old penguin shit with the dynamics of a brick wall. I can see why some people like them but I wouldn't have one if you gave it to me. I don't play death metal though and that's about the only thing they really work for. If an amp can't produce Gary Moore or Santana-like rich, dynamic sounds I'm really not interested tbh. That's why I rarely ever play my JCM900, even that is too fizzy for my tastes - and I've modded most of the fizz out of mine. What hope has a VH-140C got?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Holy thread necromancy Batman!

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
Holy thread necromancy Batman!

hahaha
Its been a long time...

5 NAMMS lol
thats how I measure guitar time..lol
Quote by Cathbard
As warm as week old penguin shit

How do you come up with these analogies??