Hey everyone,

I'm making this post because I can't find this information from google, perhaps because I fail at life but I digress. I am a proud owner of a Traynor YCV80, I absolutely love the clean sound of this amp... That being said the overdrive leaves much to be desired for a metal head.

What I am trying to do is get a really heavy metal sound from this amp, and I am wanting to know if I can reduce the number of power tubes to decrease the overall sound and be able to crank it more in a home setting..?

The amp itself says it has auto-biasing, so I can mix and match tubes but what I really want to know is can I just run the amp on one tube and drop it to 20wats that way?

Also, if I'm just horribly missing it here what else could I do to get this heavier sound from this amp?

As always, I appreciate any advice / help I can get!
Quote by Waddy
Hey everyone,

I'm making this post because I can't find this information from google, perhaps because I fail at life but I digress. I am a proud owner of a Traynor YCV80, I absolutely love the clean sound of this amp... That being said the overdrive leaves much to be desired for a metal head.

What I am trying to do is get a really heavy metal sound from this amp, and I am wanting to know if I can reduce the number of power tubes to decrease the overall sound and be able to crank it more in a home setting..?

The amp itself says it has auto-biasing, so I can mix and match tubes but what I really want to know is can I just run the amp on one tube and drop it to 20wats that way?

Also, if I'm just horribly missing it here what else could I do to get this heavier sound from this amp?

As always, I appreciate any advice / help I can get!

Im not familiar at all with the amp but I highly doubt you can remove all the power tubes but 1.
Even if you could cranking it isnt going to get your sound to become heavier, and 20 watts cranked is deafening.

Try a tube screamer in front to push it to metal territory, or buy a triple wreck distortion pedal there expensive though.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
tubes work in pairs on a class a/b amp like this

you 'could' potentially pull 2 tubes and run at half power. unfortunately, even if this was supported by Traynor, you would have to also cut the ohms in half on your speaker load.

this is not really an amp for metal heads

there is not much that messing with tubes is going to do

you can probably pull some decent thrash tones out of it.

have you tried an OD pedal as a boost? that is what i would do before moving onto a different amp

good luck