Hey guys,

I was playing my Peavey 6505+ 112 earlier yesterday and it was working absolutely fine. Came back later in the afternoon and the amp wouldn't make any noise.

The power tubes glow when I turn it on (I can't see the preamp tubes, as they're shielded), as does the Peavey logo on the front. If I turn the volume up to around five, I can hear a very faint signal coming from my guitar, but that's it. I also pulled out the fuse, and though I don't have a voltage meter, the filament inside looked very much intact.

I also checked with different cables, different guitars, and in different power outlets around my house. The problem persisted.

Any diagnoses? Any help would be massively appreciated.
Don your antithesis spectacle, your backwards monocle, and traipse forward to victory.
Probly power tubes
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
take off the back grill and make sure all the tubes are tight in the socket, you can easily take off the tube covers of the preamp tubes, its probably best to unplug the amp before doing any of this. also make damn sure its not something simple, i've had this exact situation happen before and it turned out to be a bad cable, i was so worried lol. oh and if you plug your guitar into the effect loop return on the back of the amp and clearly hear your guitar signal that means theres something up with your preamp tubes.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Eh, yeah, I plugged into the FX loop and I got signal. I'm hoping it's something simple like the input jack. Any thoughts? I'm just really confused as to why the tubes suddenly stopped working. I literally turned it on a half hour after playing it and it inexplicably would not work.
Don your antithesis spectacle, your backwards monocle, and traipse forward to victory.
you probably need new pre amp tubes.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by ProjectileQuiet
Eh, yeah, I plugged into the FX loop and I got signal. I'm hoping it's something simple like the input jack. Any thoughts? I'm just really confused as to why the tubes suddenly stopped working. I literally turned it on a half hour after playing it and it inexplicably would not work.

the stock tubes are pretty cheap. i would take off the covers and see if you can spot one of the tubes not glowing or dimmed out.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
the stock tubes are pretty cheap. i would take off the covers and see if you can spot one of the tubes not glowing or dimmed out.

AHA! One is glowing pitifully. Can I replace just one or would you suggest replacing them all? And is there a brand that you suggest? You sound like you've been through this before.
12AX7's? Is there a certain brand that's best? I don't want to end up buying the same tubes again if they're going to shit out on me.
the stock tubes are rubys just so you know, they aren't exactly known for their reliability or sound quality for that matter.
as far as replacement tubes theres just so many different ones available its hard to tell which are the best really. people seem to really like jjs around here. i plan on getting some tung sols whenever i'm ready for a re-valving. some where around here theres a really nice thread that lists all the different qualities of different brands. see if you can find that and read it, its got some helpful info in there.

edit: it is ok to just replace one at a time but i think most people buy the full set when replacing tubes for the first time in a new amp
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Last edited by Goodtimes666 at Sep 17, 2011,
the stock tubes are rubys just so you know, they aren't exactly known for their reliability or sound quality for that matter.
as far as replacement tubes theres just so many different ones available its hard to tell which are the best really. people seem to really like jjs around here. i plan on getting some tung sols whenever i'm ready for a re-valving. some where around here theres a really nice thread that lists all the different qualities of different brands. see if you can find that and read it, its got some helpful info in there.

edit: it is ok to just replace one at a time but i think most people buy the full set when replacing tubes for the first time in a new amp

Awesome. Thank you for your help! It would seem that we've discovered the solution to my problem.

And yeah, these tubes look pretty shitty. They're all glowing at slightly different levels. A little disconcerting, don't you think?
Quote by ProjectileQuiet
Awesome. Thank you for your help! It would seem that we've discovered the solution to my problem.

And yeah, these tubes look pretty shitty. They're all glowing at slightly different levels. A little disconcerting, don't you think?

Actually not, all tubes don't necessarily have to glow at the same intensity.

However JJ 12AX7 are pretty good for the 6505.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ProjectileQuiet

Nope. Not disconcerting at all. Pretty normal actually.

rotate your preamp tubes around and notate any differences. swap the power tubes around and notate any differences. use your warranty actually before touching anything.
I'm still trying to figure out how to pull the preamp tubes out. I can't get a grip on them and I don't want to pull really hard. Is there something special I have to do to get them out of the 6505?
Quote by ProjectileQuiet
I'm still trying to figure out how to pull the preamp tubes out. I can't get a grip on them and I don't want to pull really hard. Is there something special I have to do to get them out of the 6505?

wait until they are cool (obviously) then work them back and forth pulling up. i suppose it could be a little bit nerve racking the first time, but you will be fine.

spray deoxit onto the pins of the tubes if you are getting new tubes, or even if you aren't. its a really good contact cleaner and can save you money in the long run.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by ProjectileQuiet

personally i wiggle it while pulling on it, usually comes out pretty easily. and i wouldn't bother getting new tubes from the warranty cuz they're just gonna be the same shitty tubes and in no time at all you'll be back in here making this thread again lol
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

rotate your preamp tubes around and notate any differences. swap the power tubes around and notate any differences. use your warranty actually before touching anything.

The problem is that most amps come with factory warrenty. I had a weird issue with my valveking years back and i took it to the shop because i still had my warrenty. My amp was gone for 4 weeks and the problem still wasn't fixed. Decided to order a new set of tubes and had no problems after that.

Switching tubes is really easy(even the power tubes). Most websites will ask what kind of amp you have and you can even say what you're looking for sound wise. All i needed to do was remove the old tubes, replace them and i was back in business
gear
-Giablo JTM45
-Hook 2X12
-fender hw1 strat
-Fender AVRI 62 strat
^ actually I agree with you. I just felt the user was so new to tube amps that it might be better if he exercises his warranty. That said, most warranty's don't cover tubes anyway.

Quote by ProjectileQuiet

here is a little vid that might help. i've never replaced tubes on a 6505+

http://s545.photobucket.com/albums/hh384/buckethead_311/Amp%20stuff/?action=view&current=Microphonicpreamptube.mp4

Deoxit is a great idea too and it will help make tube pulling later easier.
Replaced the crapped out tube and the problem persisted. Any thoughts?
Quote by ProjectileQuiet
Replaced the crapped out tube and the problem persisted. Any thoughts?

you put a brand new one in or rotated the ones you had already?
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby