'Sup ppl,

So, just got this baby last week, and boy do I love it! Let's go straight to the pictures (that's what you're here for, right?)

Full shot! Lookin' good!

Body shot. I've already smeared it with fingerprints. The finish is pretty nice, though, especially since I waxed & buffed it. Notice the ugly battlescar the previous owner has left on it.

Some of that sexy 'board, in a "oh-look-at-me-I-do-photo-editing-though-I-really-just-use-preset-effects-on-my-photo-app"-style picture. Loving it.

Some headstock, neck and more of the awesome maple board here.

So yeah, that's right - nothing mind-blowing here. Just your average, run-of-the-mill Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster.

I just walked into a guitar store last week and saw this thing. It was cheap (300€, new ones go for about 500€+), I've wanted a strat for a loooong time, and it had a maple fretboard - something I can't resist. Plus, it makes me feel like I'm Eric Clapton when I play it with my Wayfarers on while smoking a cigarette

A quick look from Fender's website identified this to be made either 2004 or 2005, according to the serial number. As I've come to understand, Mexican Standards of that time are quite quality pieces of gear. All I know is that this one truly is!

I plugged it into a Vox Nightrain in the store, and was very pleased with the results. It played and sounded like a stratocaster, and had a lot of character to it. Back home, after fiddling with the setup to get it how I like it, i plugged it into my rig (guitar > Bugera 6262-212 > TC Electronics G Major II > Behringer EQ 700), and I was simply blown away. I got some seriously awesome tones out of it, though I wasn't expecting anything out of ordinary.

I used to think that my Ibanez SV5470F was capable of pulling off some seriously good clean tones - which it does - but this one just became the clean tone champ of my guitars. You just can't beat real single coils. Bridge, bridge + middle and middle positions all sound really good - especially if you roll off some tone first - but it's the neck and neck + middle that steal the show here. Really powerful, responsive, ballsy, but still retains cleaness, unless I want to make it dirty. Rolling the tone off here will result in some nice, jazzy tones. Seems like this guitar is capable of any most any clean tones out there.

The heavy sounds are where the bridge pickup absolutely kills. It can handle ridiculous amounts of gain and still sound awesome. I really like the infusion of that strat-quack into my basic distortion sound, which is quite brutal and heavy. Rolling off some presence and treble from the amp results in a tone that just makes you want to chug out the heaviest, meanest palm-mute riffs in your library. Bringing the top end back, backing the gain and bass a little bit will make it sound really ace for some 80's hair metal / hard rock tones. Lots of pedal notes and intervals on the 2 middle strings is the name of the game here. Bring the gain and bass back, roll some treble off and bring a big middle boost in it's stead, kick on some delay, and you'll get an absolutely awesome solo tone

The neck pickup sounds very good on distortion, as well - I've never been much of a neck pickup man, but this might change me.

All in all, it's very, very versatile - it IS a Stratocaster, after all.

Playability is top notch, as well. I'm able to get some sick low action without any fret buzz, and out of all the guitars I've ever played, I think this is the 2nd best feel-wise - only my SV gets higher ranks. The tremolo and the nut seem to work well together, as light wobbling on the trem doesn't knock the tuning out in the least, and even after some ill, EVH-style diving and squealing, it's still manageable.

The tuners are, unfortunately, absolute sh*t. The previous owner has over-tightened them at some point, so they're no longer turning very smoothly and have a lot of blind spots. I'm probably throwing in some locking Gotohs soon, as these ones are driving me crazy every time I'm tuning.

Sustain on the guitar is pretty damn good, too, but I still might be changing the trem block to an all-steel one at some point. I'm also definitely changing the saddles for some Graphtec String Savers, as the standard saddles feel uncomfortable while palm muting. The pickups are pretty good IMO, but I might be upgrading them as well at some point - I think the bridge could do with some more string separation. Even though the guitar sound awesome as it is, I think it might do with a bone nut, as well, as that would enhance the guitar's resonance by a whole league.

So, overall: Great player, great sounds, stays in tune, frets have enough life in them yet, bad tuners. Build quality: Excellent. Can't find any flaws - even the neck pocket is perfect. I think I'm in love with this thing, though I'm not quite sure if it challenges my SV for the position of my #1 guitar. We'll wait and see...
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Nothing wrong with an MIM Strat. I've got a candy apple red one that I'll probably show off one day. If anything, I'm not 100% happy with the pickups but it plays like a dream, and definitely has the trademark strat sound, even if its a little weak.

Have fun with it, man! I'm enjoying mine.
I went to GC to check out a used Ibanez, left with a Mexican strat. It is an amazing guitar. I compared it to American strats and Squiers in the store to make sure it wasn't my imagination, and it passed the test. Slapped some GFS pickups and pots in it, swapped out the tuners with Fender locking tuners, and swapped out the trem block with a GFS brass block. I friggin love it.

HNGD!
Congrats on your new guitar.

Out of all the different modals that I owned over the years the strat is my all time favorite.
For me they have all the characteristics that make a guitar great- single coils, scale lenght, and tonal versatility.

Hope your new baby gives you many years of enjoyment.
I still think the SV as my classy wife I've been together with for ages, and the Strat is my bad, trashy blonde mistress. I wasn't worried for my marriage when I made this thread, but my faith in true love wavering atm... I hope I won't have to ever divorce my SV, but the strat... is just has that awesome, dirty, bad-ass rock n' roll attitude to it! Best 300€ I've ever spent, I'll say.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
I have the exact same strat but I put a black pickguard on it

HNGD!
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
I have the exact same strat but I put a black pickguard on it

HNGD!

Dude, with a black pickguard on a black strat with a maple fretboard you'll instantly get the power to play any Pink Floyd song and do it exactly as well as David Gilmour! Maybe I should do it, too : D
Gear:

Ashton AG200,