Hi guys I really have been having a few issues with my new guitar. If you could answer all my questions that would help a bunch.

I have the Dean MAB3. I bought it because I like MAB's style and heard some okay reviews. Well ive got a couple problems. It has a Floyd Rose. So far in my entire guitar career (which is only 3 or 4 years) I have never came across such a speedbump like this floyd rose. I swear ive had a guitar with broken tuners that was easier to tune than this. I loosen the locking nuts, tune strings in order, E-E-B-A-G-D (i seen on yt video this is best order), then tighten the nuts. The tuning shoots down, or maybe up sometimes. Either way. The point of the locking nuts is to hold it in tune right? so why the f does it come out of tune when I lock them?

Another question I have is to down-tune 2 steps, would that absolutely REQUIRE heavy gauge? And is that even possible on my guitar?

For some odd reason this guitar dosnt seem to pick up pinch harmonics for shit! I swear tried for ever could only get what sound like really quiet bends from doing a pinch. My shitty SG special could do them with ease, but their just not picking up on this guitar. Should I probably replace the pickups? And what kind are cheap passives that maybe have a Killing is my Business sound?
If you are going down 2 entire steps then yes, you need a heavier string gauge. I wouldn't do anything lighter than 12's for a tuning that low.
My Guitars
Squire Affinity Strat
Ibanez RG 350 DX
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Ibanez AEG20E
Tradition Guitars S2000F Pro
after you put the locking nut down use the fine tuners on the bridge. And if you downtune you can use a heavier gauge or you could adjust the springs in the back to compensate for the different string tension. As for not picking up on pinched harmonics, i have no idea what's wrong there. It could be because you don't have the bridge set up correctly which kills the sustain i guess.
Well, I'm a little drunk so bear with me. I'll try to answer a few of your questions.

- The ideal place for pinch harmonics are different on every guitar. You just need to practice finding them on this one.

- Floating bridges like yours are a major hassle for even expert players if they've never owned a guitar with one. I've had on but I'm terrible at explaining how to set them up. I'll leave this to somebody else. There are many more members here more knowledgeable than me, especially while I'm drinking.

- You probably wont need heavier strings to tune down 2 steps, but it you're planning on staying that low you should consider it. It all depends on what you prefer. You may prefer the lower tension of that same strings at a lower tuning, or you may like to change gauge to get a similar tension. It's really up to you. Having one gauge for a few weks and then changing it wont ruin your guitar.

- You probably don't need to replace the pickups. Stick with them for a while and if you still don't like them, then consider it. Any pickups in a dean guitar should be sufficiently gain-y. If you still hate them after a while, try your guitar out with a few different amps. You might find that it's not the pickups that are the problem.

Hopefully I've answered at lest one of your questions to satisfaction. I'd like to reiterate that you shouldn't take this advice as concrete, as I have been drinking. If somebody confirms anything I've said though, then go for it.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Well, I'm a little drunk so bear with me. I'll try to answer a few of your questions.

- The ideal place for pinch harmonics are different on every guitar. You just need to practice finding them on this one.

- Floating bridges like yours are a major hassle for even expert players if they've never owned a guitar with one. I've had on but I'm terrible at explaining how to set them up. I'll leave this to somebody else. There are many more members here more knowledgeable than me, especially while I'm drinking.

- You probably wont need heavier strings to tune down 2 steps, but it you're planning on staying that low you should consider it. It all depends on what you prefer. You may prefer the lower tension of that same strings at a lower tuning, or you may like to change gauge to get a similar tension. It's really up to you. Having one gauge for a few weks and then changing it wont ruin your guitar.

- You probably don't need to replace the pickups. Stick with them for a while and if you still don't like them, then consider it. Any pickups in a dean guitar should be sufficiently gain-y. If you still hate them after a while, try your guitar out with a few different amps. You might find that it's not the pickups that are the problem.

Hopefully I've answered at lest one of your questions to satisfaction. I'd like to reiterate that you shouldn't take this advice as concrete, as I have been drinking. If somebody confirms anything I've said though, then go for it.

Okay thanks I think I got what I was looking for. Learning the Floyd Rose is just something most guitarists will eventually learn anyway so might as well start now.

I have 1 more question though. Can you tell me which is better of the two amps Line 6 Spider III 15W, or Marshall MG15CD 45w, they cost me about the same and I want to get rid of one. They both sound okay, but im not sure on the specifics. What do you think?

I didnt want to have to make another topic for this lol
I've heard bad stuff about both amps but I've never played either of them. You should probably keep the bigger one, if you're in a band, or even if you think you might be later.
I'll answer your questions as they come up..

Your guitar, like most with Floyds these days, doesn't have a tension bar that runs across all the strings between the nut and tuners like it should. Whenever you have the locks off you'll notice that the string doesn't sit flat against the backside of the nut. But whenever you lock down the nut it is. That's why it jumps in pitch whenever you lock it down, it's just a silly design flaw in nearly every Floyd-equipped guitar today. After you lock it down use the fine tuners on the Floyd itself to get it perfect.

It isn't necessary to use heavier gauge strings when you downtune, but it does help with tuning stability and it makes it feel closer to standard tuning (when talking about tension). If you prefer lighter gauge strings you might try a set of thick n' thins. The lower strings are a heavy gauge usually with the E being a 52, and the higher strings are a medium-light gauge usually with the E being 10. Or you could try a set of regular 10's and see if you like that.

Pinch harmonics... the SG is a 24.75" scale neck and the MAB is a 25.5". So the exact point in which you can strike a pinch harmonic with your picking hand will be different. It also changes between guitars of the same scale, but it's most drastic between guitars of different scales. The problem here is your technique, not the instrument that you're using.

I figured Dean would've dropped their "Hands Without Shadows" pickup in that guitar, but I guess not. My ML AT3000 has a Dean DMT Baker Act and Timecapsule in it, the Baker Act is a great 80's rock pickup and the Timecapsule is honestly one of the best vintage-voiced pickups I've heard. Think of a Seymour Duncan '59 without the huge bass and slightly more grit. However I'm not familiar with their "DMT Designed" pickups, I haven't played anything with them in it. If you can determine what sound you're wanting out of your guitar we can help with a pickup swap if you want

Neither one of those amps are really that great but I'd take the Spider over the MG any day (both of them are 15W btw). A better amp would vastly improve your sound. There's a ton of options out there and any respectable member of UG can give you a suggestion for a new one based on your budget and playing style(s)
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Sep 17, 2011,