Hi guys, I've been GASing for a long time, been working in the summer, waiting for the order to arrive (took a month because my order got lost somehow at the distributors or something) but now my new gear is finally here!

First of I got this:

Dunlop Zakk Wylde 10's string set!

Yeah, I know what you are thinking: "those are just strings, n00b."

That's what I thought too at first, but after restringing my guitar I can do pentatonic shred like I could never do before and what's even more awesome: Every 5th note I play is a pinch harmonic now.

OK, joking aside, another thing I got:

Looks very cool, work very well and accurately, true bypass and mutes the signal when activated. Polyphone tuning is also pretty cool and works very well.

It's go a mini-USB input on it, I think it's for firmware downloads, am I right?

It was more expensive than I actually wanted to spend on a tuner, but I wanted something precise so that I don't have to buy an additional pocket tuner for setting up the intonation.

Moving on, here's the next piece of gear I got:

Yellow like a NYC cab and kind of cheap: the Boss SD-1!

Compared to the other OD pedals I played it sounded pretty good for what I want it to do: a metal and solo boost, tightening up the bottom end/making me louder, no mid hump and it's pretty nice as a standalone drive pedal too IMO (reminds me of the drive tone in RHCP's Dani California), sounds kind of more open than the other OD pedals in the price range.
It came with a battery, I think it sounds better with the adapter, but maybe I'm just crazy.

I'm thinking about eventually modding it to TS-808 specs later on, heard that it's pretty easy and cheap to do.

But anyway, for now it's great because I can do this now:

Br00tal!

But there is more...
You didn't actually have a NGD .. since you didn't actually get a new guitar xD
Nontheless - congrats on the new stuff!

- feels a little dumb now ^^' -
Please let me keep this memory, just this one ..
Last edited by Samhuinn at Sep 18, 2011,
Quote by Samhuinn
You didn't actually have a NGD .. since you didn't actually get a new guitar xD
Nontheless - congrats on the new stuff!

New Gear Day, dude.
Love the polytune......the keeley mod is kickass for the Sd-1 Congratz
Congrats.

So where's the new.....

amp?
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Last edited by kutless999 at Sep 17, 2011,
I got a Polytune about two or three weeks ago. Best pedal tuner ever. It's just so good. Makes tuning so much quicker.
OK, now here's the confusing part.

I got one of those footswitch things for my Vypyr, came in quite a big box.
But it's a pretty small thing compared to how big the box was.

So I thought:

And then I found this thing:

At first I though it was some kind of merchandising thing, like a hat or something, but unless you are a Minecraft-character, it won't fit that well.

When I looked at the picture I first thought it would work as Pyramid-head costume for halloween with some tweaking.
Then I saw the Egnater-logo on it.

After going deeper into the box another time I found it:

Egnater Rebel 30 112!

Not an epic b00teek amp, sorry.
But I think it kicks ass.

- 2 channels (clean, OD) with seperate EQ (no mid-control for cleans though)
- Additional Tight and Bright switches and power reduction per channel
- Tube mix control (EL84 and 6V6)
- FX-loop
- Digital Reverb per channel
- Celestion "Egnater Elite 80" speaker (= Classic Lead 80)

Cleans sound nice, with the tone controls you can get them warm, funky, jangly, more Marshall-y or Fender-y, really like the channel. I didn't have the chance to drop it to 1W and crank the hell out of it, I'm really interested in how that would sound.

The Overdrive-channel reminds me pretty much of the Fender Super Sonic's drive channel but to me it's more British sounding. It's kind of thick, rather smooth and saturated sounding, but still very organic with a rather British midrange.
It's something like a more british Fender or rather smooth and saturated Marshall OD tone.
On its own it's a bit too flubby for metal IMO, with the gain set high it gives nice creamy lead tones though.
Give it an OD as a boost and it will do metal too. I don't play overly br00tal stuff but I've heard the guitarist of Meshuggah (or some other br00tz-band) plays a Rebel 20 with a Tube Screamer in front and gets his djenty tones through it.
However, it's not a metal amp.

The tones overall sound very organic and warm, no buzziness, shrill highs or fizz going on, very pleasant to the ears compared to my Vypyr.

The reverb sounds fine to me, really usable and you can activate it via footswitch, which is very practical.

Another thing is the Tube-Mix which actually works very well. It definately changes your tone depending on where it's set and enhances the tonal possibilities of the amp.

The power reduction is something I think you will only notice at higher volumes. Power tube saturation at TV-volumes isn't the point of that thing. But I think it helps you getting more power tube saturation going on when you are playing in a band or on stage without overpowering the rest of the band.

Did I mention that it loooks really cool too?

I'm very satisfied with the amp and the pedals so far, I think I will be even more after the amp is broken in.
Egnaters are great! HNGD!

2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by fly135
Cool stuff. Now let's hear some clips.

I would like to do clips, but I've got no recording gear or the money for it ATM.
However, I know a few people with recording stuff who could help me, not sure if they have time though, but whatever.
If I manage to get some decent soundclips I will post them.
I'm liking the amp and the Polytune. What are your thoughts of the Dunlop strings? If you've used them, that is. I just bought a couple sets for my guitars and I can't wait to try them out.
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
Quote by bAngiel01
I'm liking the amp and the Polytune. What are your thoughts of the Dunlop strings? If you've used them, that is. I just bought a couple sets for my guitars and I can't wait to try them out.

Didn't actually restring my guitar with them yet.
They don't seem to be very popular, but are supposed to be very nice strings.

I switched from D'Addario 10's to an Ernie Ball Hybrid set which remembered me why I stopped using Ernie Balls: They sound really good for 1 or 2 weeks, then they dull out.
Still looking for strings which retain their sound as well as D'Addarios but sound a bit less bright.

I think I'll restring next week or so, I hope the set is good.
Didn't actually want a ZW set, but the salesguy gave me that set. No idea how different it is from the regular Dunlop 10's set, but whatever, they only cost like 50 cents more.
Love it HNGD!
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Can't you at least record with your phone?
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by kutless999
Can't you at least record with your phone?

That's the thing, I could, but it would sound pretty bad and wouldn't do the amp any justice.
I'll see if I can get a somewhat decent recording using some kind of microphone I have around (headset, webcam, phone) tomorrow.
It's pretty late around here.

Shame I don't have more money, I would have really wanted to get some recording gear (just an SM-57 and an interface).

Maybe I can get a fitting cable for the recording-out input though next week.