Hey, so I need some new tubes. This will be my first every tube change so i need some help. I dont know a lot about tubes, other than the different types(el34, 6l6s etc). So help!!

I think I need to replace power tubes, because my amps distortion sound is starting to sound less "alive". It starting to sound like its dieing lol. Its getting muddier and just doesnt have the oomph! anymore.

What kind of tube would you recomend? My amp is a Peavey 3120, its suppose to have El34s BUT HAS 6L6S.
what brand of tubes should I get, and from what website? I'm planning on ordering.

Price: I really dont want to spend a lot, I dont know what the average rate of tubes go for so I'll say 50$, Is to that too cheap?

I want to stick to 6L6s because I'm happy with the tone I had, and plus I dont know how to bias and all that jazz.

I play music like Parkway drive, Trivium, RHCP, Jimi hendrix, Protest the hero, KSE, stuff along those lines. I would like a very thick heavy saturated tone, and a decent clean, (I dont know how much tubes effect clean, since i'm changing 6l6s to 6l6s.)

Is there any recommended websites that shows how to change tubes? I'm guessing its just like changing a light bulb, not to complicated but juts taking precautions.

Please let me know if you need more information, I dont know what to explain for this kind of question.
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
Last edited by Aashraya at Sep 17, 2011,
Pretty sure there's a sticky in either Gear & Accessories or Building & Customizing dedicated to tubes, their tone, price, and reliability, sorted by type and manufacturer. A quick google will help you find a site to buy from. Short of buying NOS your budget should be fine.

Do you know if your amp is properly biased for the 6L6s? If not, you're gonna burn right through them. How long have you had your amp before you noticed that the tone was going out?
Quote by Powerhouse
I was in a nu-metal band when I was 15. I hated the top 3 strings (G,B, and E). I wondered why guitars even had them.
Quote by cds+stereo=life
Pretty sure there's a sticky in either Gear & Accessories or Building & Customizing dedicated to tubes, their tone, price, and reliability, sorted by type and manufacturer. A quick google will help you find a site to buy from. Short of buying NOS your budget should be fine.

Do you know if your amp is properly biased for the 6L6s? If not, you're gonna burn right through them. How long have you had your amp before you noticed that the tone was going out?

I bought it second hand and I believe the guy had it for a year and a half, and I've had it for around 6 months. And I do play a lot, so I think 2 years is a decent amount of time? Or mabye i'm wrong.

I usually play around 5-12 hours a week(depending on what I do with my band)

P.s I cant find the thread, could you link me?
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
Last edited by Aashraya at Sep 17, 2011,
look at eurotubes.com. If your looking to replace the power tubes it sould run you @$80 US and they have complete retube kits for @$120 thats for all the 12AX7 and power tubes.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
look at eurotubes.com. If your looking to replace the power tubes it sould run you @$80 US and they have complete retube kits for @$120 thats for all the 12AX7 and power tubes.

cool, is there anything cheaper than 80$? I dont really wanna spend that much, but if I have to, I might aswell.

Do you have any specific suggestions? Like JJ's or Soveteks etc.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by Aashraya
cool, is there anything cheaper than 80$? I dont really wanna spend that much, but if I have to, I might aswell.

Do you have any specific suggestions? Like JJ's or Soveteks etc.

Not really. new Tubes are priced according to how good the quality is( for the most part. The last set of power tube I have bought were Tung sol 5881 reissue and were @$80 You need a quad of matched power tubes.

Sovtek tubes are OK, not the best, but very reliable, thats why many company's use them. TAD tubes are pretty good, but expensive, JJ tubes are pretty good and are a diecent value. Sino tube are hit or miss on quality. Ruby tubes are pretty meh. Groove Tubes are widely used, but I'm not a big fan of there tubes at all. Mesa Boogie has some diecent tubes on there web site also. I would stay away from the Svetlana tubes, they are cheap for a reason.

Look at the Eurotubes JJ KT77 power tubes, they have a great mix of EL34/6L6 sound. I have some in my Bugera 333 the XXX/3120 clone and they sound great.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Not really. new Tubes are priced according to how good the quality is( for the most part. The last set of power tube I have bought were Tung sol 5881 reissue and were @$80 You need a quad of matched power tubes.

Sovtek tubes are OK, not the best, but very reliable, thats why many company's use them. TAD tubes are pretty good, but expensive, JJ tubes are pretty good and are a diecent value. Sino tube are hit or miss on quality. Ruby tubes are pretty meh. Groove Tubes are widely used, but I'm not a big fan of there tubes at all. Mesa Boogie has some diecent tubes on there web site also. I would stay away from the Svetlana tubes, they are cheap for a reason.

Look at the Eurotubes JJ KT77 power tubes, they have a great mix of EL34/6L6 sound. I have some in my Bugera 333 the XXX/3120 clone and they sound great.

But I have to bias and all that if I switch from a 6l6 to KT77 right? I dont want to go through that, I'm happy with the sound I got from the 6l6 i just need a replacement.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by Aashraya
But I have to bias and all that if I switch from a 6l6 to KT77 right? I dont want to go through that, I'm happy with the sound I got from the 6l6 i just need a replacement.

No matar what tubes you buy you'll need to rebias your amp, unless you buy the exact same tube type (brand) with the same breakup values.

So even if you want to get a new type of 6L6 you need to rebias your amp.

If you don't know how, you may have to take it to a tech and that will probably run you another $50.

If you know an electrician or old school TV repairman they will beable to help you out.

The 3120 has an external bias point that you can check without totaly removing the amp chassis. All you need is a multi meter. ther is a general biasing video on eurotubes that will help you out.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
No matar what tubes you buy you'll need to rebias your amp, unless you buy the exact same tube type (brand) with the same breakup values.

So even if you want to get a new type of 6L6 you need to rebias your amp.

If you don't know how, you may have to take it to a tech and that will probably run you another $50.

If you know an electrician or old school TV repairman they will beable to help you out.

The 3120 has an external bias point that you can check without totaly removing the amp chassis. All you need is a multi meter. ther is a general biasing video on eurotubes that will help you out.

Okay awesome Thanks!
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by Aashraya
Okay awesome Thanks!

No worries, if you have any other questions feal free to ask!
Good Luck.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
No worries, if you have any other questions feal free to ask!
Good Luck.

Is it safe to re bias yourself, and try to learn how to do it? My bro can probably help me out, but I dont want to spend 50$ everytime I need to re bias.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by Aashraya
Is it safe to re bias yourself, and try to learn how to do it? My bro can probably help me out, but I dont want to spend 50$ everytime I need to re bias.

Yeah if you use the external bias port you should have nothing to worrie about. You can also googl how to bias a peavey 3120 and you'll get some good answers if you need 'em.

Learning to bias your self is almost a must for anyone who doesnt have a big bank account......like me!!
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yeah if you use the external bias port you should have nothing to worrie about. You can also googl how to bias a peavey 3120 and you'll get some good answers if you need 'em.

Learning to bias your self is almost a must for anyone who doesnt have a big bank account......like me!!

Haha okay, I'll give it a try. Thanks again! Appreciate all the help!
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
ok.....lets stop for a second here.
if you go poking around in your amp not knowing what you are doing you can electrocute and kill yourself. no joke. but like mentioned above you have external bias ports you should be fine. i would recommend taking it in to a tech and asking to watch over his shoulder while he does the bias so you know exactly what to do.
also here is the tube sticky

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473149
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
A quad of JJ E34Ls is $56 at tubedepot.com and sounds great in the 3120. Also watch the how to bias videos on eurotubes to learn how to do it but make sure you are completely comfortable before doing so. You probably need preamp valves too though. Don't use the external bias ports like others have suggested as it is inaccurate. Learn to do it right or take it to someone who will.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by iheartgun
ok.....lets stop for a second here.
if you go poking around in your amp not knowing what you are doing you can electrocute and kill yourself. no joke. but like mentioned above you have external bias ports you should be fine. i would recommend taking it in to a tech and asking to watch over his shoulder while he does the bias so you know exactly what to do.
also here is the tube sticky

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473149

Thanks, I know the risks. My brother is a fairy technical person, I could probably ask him for help, or my school teacher as he is a musician too. I would take it to a store and watch over, but the store doesnt do it on the spot, they keep it for a week and than call you when its done.

Quote by bluestratplayer
A quad of JJ E34Ls is $56 at tubedepot.com and sounds great in the 3120. Also watch the how to bias videos on eurotubes to learn how to do it but make sure you are completely comfortable before doing so. You probably need preamp valves too though. Don't use the external bias ports like others have suggested as it is inaccurate. Learn to do it right or take it to someone who will.

Sweet i'll check that out, How does the distortion sound with EL34s? I just know the differnce in cleans. And dont preamp valves last longer than power? Thats why I was considering just getting power tubes.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit