Hi,

I went to a local shop today to try out some telecasters... never had one, want one now. I'm not a great player but I love playing and fancied treating myself to one after doing a song with a mate's band playing his american standard.

Anyway, I tried out quite a few... a squire 50's vibe, a mexican tele of some kind, a japanese 62 reissue, an american special, an american standard and for the hell of it an american deluxe.

Only one of these stood out for me, the mexican one. For some reason it didn't feel right, didn't tune up very nicely, just didn't like it.

The rest though were lovely. The surprise to me was that they didn't feel more different to each other... they were all very similar. Now I know they're all teles and they're all fenders but still... I expected some to feel less good than others but there wasn't much in it. I only played at low volume (it's that kind of shop and I'm not that good anyway so feel a bit self-conscious) but they all sounded great, played great but there's no way based on today alone I could in all conscience shell out £1100 more on the deluxe over the vibe. The one I'd go for would be the 62 reissue japanese one. I just liked it more than the others based on sound, feel and the fact that it had a rosewood fret board (which I prefer). However the differences were marginal. The vibe, for example, played beautifully and I can see why they get good write ups.

So, the question is... why are did they all feel, play and sound so similarly? Did I luck out in finding a shop that had set them all (except the mexican) up really well? They are a good shop and I've had a couple of guitars and an amp from them in the past. Would the extra cost of some shine through when you turn them up and the cheaper ones start to sound weaker? Would the quality of the hardware shine through on the more expensive ones after I'd had it for a while?

As I say I'm probably going to go for the 62 made in japan reissue and won't feel like I've left a better guitar in the shop.

Cheers,

Mark
The tele was designed to be a working man's guitar and still is. It's just meant to get the job done. Every (Fender) Tele I've played has been pretty similar. It's just a familiar feeling guitar I think. I would check out a Fender JA-90. It's a Les Paul layout Tele with custom Seymour Duncan P-90's. It isn't like any Tele I've played. You can get twang out of it, but you do that through your amp. It was £500 but I got mine for £275 as I traded in a guitar for it. Now, I know you hear this a lot, but this is a mid range guitar but it easily compares to my Gibson Les Paul Standard. I was blown away by how good it was. Just worth checking it out.
The japanese make great instruments. If you liked it, go for it!
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
there is likely to be a SLIGHT difference in sound when the volume is turned up, and in the long run the deluxe will likely last longer in terms if finish and hardware (bridge and tuners and MAYBE pickups) but saying that, if you leave the shop with the japanese reissue you should not and will not feel dissapointed at all because you will have saved lots of money on a high-quality guitar with very on few differences from the deluxe. it is a great deal and i would get the japanese reissue.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
The tele was designed to be a working man's guitar and still is. It's just meant to get the job done. Every (Fender) Tele I've played has been pretty similar. It's just a familiar feeling guitar I think. I would check out a Fender JA-90. It's a Les Paul layout Tele with custom Seymour Duncan P-90's. It isn't like any Tele I've played. You can get twang out of it, but you do that through your amp. It was £500 but I got mine for £275 as I traded in a guitar for it. Now, I know you hear this a lot, but this is a mid range guitar but it easily compares to my Gibson Les Paul Standard. I was blown away by how good it was. Just worth checking it out.

Thanks for that but to be honest what I want is that standard telecaster sounds. Sounds nice though, maybe next time round

Cheers,

Mark
Duh.... What amp did you play them through and how long have you been playing guitar?
I've played a few Teles myself lately and I'd say you always get what you pay for.
Especially for singlecoil guitars like Teles and Strats I find it rather important that they are made of good materials and have good pickups, cheap ones often sound unpleasantly thin and icepicky.
My favourite ones were the Road Worn and Road Worn Player Tele (both MIM), the Baja Tele is also pretty nice for the money. Go for the one that feels best to you, if you don't feel the price difference being worth it, don't spend much money IMO.
Quote by JesusCrisp
Duh.... What amp did you play them through and how long have you been playing guitar?
A laney lionheart l5t which is what I've got at home. About 4 years.