Page 1 of 6
So yeah this technically belongs in the guitar gear and accessories forum but it'd be cool for metal regs to share info on anything from pedals, to amplifiers, to pickups, to amp settings, to guitars, to even tips on recording metal music.

To start off the conversation, I'm looking to buy a pedal soon and I was thinking of the Okko Dominator :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkPWbXEMRho

Do you guys know of any other excellent metal pedals ? I'm planning to run it through a fender hot rod deluxe (hot rods handle pedals extremely well). Some dude is also selling a russian big muff (http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/2580028664.html) close to me for 100$.

thoughts ?

inb4

Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Last edited by illuminatiano at Sep 17, 2011,
caring about gear is for posers.

/varg
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
That pedal ****ed my face off. Damn.

The BBE Sonic Maximizer is quite useful in tandem with any distortion pedal really, and that same dude has a vid of that pedal in tandem with the Dominator. Ibanez Tube Screamer and/or the Maxon OD808 (basically the same thing as I understand) is awesome too. And if the distortion gets a bit too gnarly then the ISP Decimator is pretty much the best gate around.
Don't get the black muffs. Look for a green one, those are the good ruskies.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
I have this russian muff clone, and it's freakin sweet. Although my one has the original artwork on it.
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
I have a cheap ESP guitar and a JCM900. Sounds fvckin great.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
Jackson performer, shitty Peavey with everything up to the last. Works well for me.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Going to be making a sound investment in a couple of weeks

Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand

wish I had one of these bad boys
Quote by severed-metal
These don't sound like very good ambitions when driving...Judas Priest makes people want to go 200 mph, and Realm of Chaos is now an album for ramming shit. You are dangerous, dangerous people.

last.fm
my (laughable) amp at the moment :

roland 15x cube

guitars I use for metal :

Epiphone Les Paul Ultra with put in PRS pickups, HFS Treble and Vintage Bass.

and an ESP EX-400 with 81/85 EMGs... I've thought about changing the pickups, are there any active ones out there that are legit awesome ?

and then my trusty Korg Toneworks AX1500G

^EMGs are basically top of the line as far as actives go, most of the pickups that everyone is like "mmmmmmm so good" are passive like Dimarzio, BKP, Lundgren etc.

Actually, you could go for Seymour Duncan Blackouts which are usually an alternative to EMGs but they're not really that different as far as I'm aware.
I use an Axl Badwater on an Epiphone Studio 105 because I'm too poor to afford real equipment. It has a nice clean sound, somewhat decent distortion, and it sounds good when I use the amp to play my iPod. That's about it.
What's the point of living if you're not living a dream?
lol you guys all have sick amps, I still have the same Line 6 Spider II 210 that I've had for like 6 or 7 years. Still broke now that I'm moving out.
Ced, that LTD looks class. Not mad about white guitars usually, but it works with the explorer shape.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
I don't own a single pedal, if I were to get one, it'd probably be this.

Anyways, I own a Jackson SLS3 and a Roland Cube 80x, and they both satisfy my needs. Can cover a lot of ground.
I'm a total ****ing gear nerd. I'll list most of what I own I suppose.

Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul
Custom built (by me and my dad) Explorer Clone

Amps:
Laney AOR 50 Pro-Tube Lead (prominently featured in Sleep's video for Dragonaut)
Carvin STX-250
Sunn Beta Lead
Sunn Concert Bass
Acoustic 300 (power amp)

Cabs
Laney AOR 4x12
Custom built (by me and my dad) angled 4x12
2 Carvin 4x12
Sunn chambered 2x15
Carvin 4x10

Pedals:
Digitech Grunge
Boss HM-2
Boss HM-3
Oxfuzz Dark
Boss DD-6
Boss OC-3
lol we pretty much have the same guitars. What color is your explorer and did you make the pickups for it as well ?

super jelly of your amps btw
Last edited by illuminatiano at Sep 18, 2011,
My current set up is a bit basic, but it does the job.
Ibanez GIO GRG170DX into a Boss HM-2, Into a Line 6 Pod 2.0, into a Hughes and Kettner edition Blue.

Obviously I have the HM-2 cranked to full, but then a bit of an almost doomy tone on the pod, which surprisingly works well when combined with the HM-2, but also sounds nice if I bypass the pedal. My Amp is essentially a speaker at the moment, as tripling the distortion doesn't sound that nice, so I have it clean.
I think I'm tuned to C standard and have been for about 6 months. I use roto Orange strings, lighter on the thin strings, but a bit chunkier on the thick strings. And I'm not fussy with plectrums as long as they are thick.
I'm completely gear ignorant...
red IbanezGio and a line 6 spider III 15 watt 8inch
i love the tone on the insane setting
i've never messed with the knobs hahaha...
I don't play much metal but I have a commonly used metal head and a sort of rare cabinet. I have a Crate Excalibur GX-900H with a KMD 4x12" cabinet. They were both made in the late 80s/early 90s and were given to me by the rich neighbors cleaning out their basement.
Quote by NosferatuZodd09
I'm completely gear ignorant...
red IbanezGio and a line 6 spider III 15 watt 8inch
i love the tone on the insane setting
i've never messed with the knobs hahaha...

...What?

Go mess with the knobs you lazy bastard, nobody likes a musician who can't even set up a tone. Being scared of messing with the truss rod is one thing (though note that it is actually VERY simple), but not playing around with your gear is just idiotic. They don't make knobs for nothing.

Then again, I was raised by engineers who tinkered with anything they could get ahold of. Carry on.
In my defense, I've never used a spider, I wouldn't know. I bought a Peavey Backstage II once, though, worse amp I've ever played on.
hahaha really? I'm pretty happy with that particular tone, except I seem to be using......... the... lower... pick... ups...? [keeps the sound crunchy and awesome... but kinda sacrifices leadtone lol]
like I said completely gear ignorant

I've messed more with the bridge/whatever to try to fix the action on my first string cause it seems to be affecting some of the higher notes :/
Edwards AL with SD JB

Ibanez TS7 (modded to 808 spec)

Randall RM100

Vader 2x12

My rig IS metal. I hope to build an HM2 clone eventually, and to modify my Kramer 610 into Fender Dave Murray-esque specs.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Schecter C-1FR > Digitech RP250 > Behringer GM-108. Merely using the GM-108 as a power amp because it's distortion is atrocious. The RP sounds pretty good for what it is. Hoping to upgrade to a used Mesa Mark IV or Dual Rec soon though.
last.fm
"the waves have now a redder glow..."
^ I used to do that with my RP90 and starter amp I used to have. Eventually I couldn't take the lack of control from the "Up/Down" preset switches so I got a few pedals of various quality. Now that I have my Marshall I don't use any distortion pedals so I just put chorus, flange, delay through my effects loop or like right now I just have my crybaby wah plugged in.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
Blargh, I'm lost in the realms of amps atm. I'm looking at an Engl Firball 60 E625, is it a good amp? And I mean like, something I'll probably be content with for a looong time.

I'm open for suggestions, if you think there's something better for about the same, or less (!) money. Would really like an amp that can produce a good clean sound too.
Any Engl amp is good, as in they are all built great, are very reliable, sound fantastic...

I think the Fireball is a bit less geared towards metal, so it doesn't have the massive gain that you get on their other amps, and a slightly more rock oriented voicing. Don't quote me on this, though.
You'll probably be able to get it to do metal easily with an OD pedal.

What does one of those go for these days?
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Shit dude, the guy I worked with sold his Fireball to the dooder in Suffocation. It was the 120 watt If I'm not mistaken, but it might of been the 80.

He swears by it, used it was a 7 string Ibby, and a TS in the effects loop constantly. I think he used a Maxxon for a gain boost.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
I don't recall his opinion on the cleans. Do you have a chorus / reverb pedal in case they are bollocks?

I take it you are just thrashing aboot with the thing anyways, cleans ist not kreig
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Don't have no pedals I'm afraid. Mostly thrashing, but my bands songs have lots of clean bits, so I wouldn't mind getting a good clean channel as well.