We are going to discuss Abortion, the Death Penalty, and the Definiton of Marriage

....In class.

This is gonna be the worst thing ever.

Usually when we have these kinds of things, everyone else uses dumb "What if x happened to you huh!?!? HUH!?" scenarios that I can't really work with.

I'd like to go into it knowing both sides and hopefully looking like I know my shit, so could you guys give me some sweet arguments for/against these things?

(I support the option of abortion, and the right to get married to whoever you want, but am against the Death Penalty.)
if there's a pro-life chick in your class, use the following logic:

'but if there is a potential for a life, stopping it would be murder, therefore we must have unprotected sex right now otherwise the sperm in my testicles will die on my stomach the next time i masturbate'

thank me later
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Quote by laid-to-waste

'but if there is a potential for a life, stopping it would be murder, therefore we must have unprotected sex right now otherwise the sperm in my testicles will die on my stomach the next time i masturbate'

thank me later

yeah, every several weeks without masturbation your sperm cells will curd and wet dream their way out one way or another. that'll back you up pretty well

for the other stuff: quote wikipedia extensively
modes are a social construct
Unless you are in high school, this shouldn't be an issue. I thought I would have the same problems with my sociology class(we talked about everything), but everybody acted very mature.

If you are in high school: You have my sympathy.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Quote by laid-to-waste

thank me later

i should
try that
Whenever the Will to Power, in no matter what form, begins to decline, a physiological retrogression, decadence always supervenes.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Ugh.

Get blazed and blurt out non sequiturs.

"Abortion is wrong!"
"Yes, but I am wearing a hat."
"You're not wearing a hat..."
"I won't stand for this ad hominem bickering!"
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by Afroboy267
i find that abortion really brings out the child in you.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by doomded
Unless you are in high school, this shouldn't be an issue. I thought I would have the same problems with my sociology class(we talked about everything), but everybody acted very mature.

If you are in high school: You have my sympathy.

This is AP Gov, Senior year.

Had to debate embryonic stem cell research in Anatomy in high school last week or the week before, and it was abysmally stupid. "Herp derp, it's bad cause ur liek playing god and stuff, hurr."
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Quote by GibsonMan321
Had to debate embryonic stem cell research in Anatomy in high school last week or the week before, and it was abysmally stupid. "Herp derp, it's bad cause ur liek playing god and stuff, hurr."

then you're like

GODS NOT REAL ****ERRRRR

and you get in trouble :<
modes are a social construct
Quote by Afroboy267
i find that abortion really brings out the child in you.

Quote by Våd Hamster
Fuck yes you are the best poster ever

do you wanna hear a little piano composition I have just made?, I promise it don't totally sucks, you can hear it on my profile, any feedback would be really appreciated -C4C
Quote by Weaponized

Make a t-shirt with this on it

and wear that to class.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by CodeMonk
Abortion : good
Death Penalty : good
Marriage : bad

Just go with those.

fix'd

I'm trying to remember this site that had the 2 sides to a bunch of topics, I'll post it if I find it.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Yes, all marriage is bad for you.

Anyone who ever got married died, gays are naturally better off being forced to not have it.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by palm mute
Anyone who ever got married died, gays are naturally better off being forced to not have it.

Srsly, Gays are just setting themselves up for trouble wanting to get married, we're doing them a favor by saving them from insanity.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Srsly, Gays are just setting themselves up for trouble wanting to get married, we're doing them a favor by saving them from insanity.

Marriage should be protected, since roughly half of all marriages end in divorce we should force everyone to not have it, not just the gays anymore. Thus we can preserve the sanctity of marriage
In my heart I'm with you

every night
We argued abortion in an english class, and the anti-abortionists calling for it banned were that the child is born at the moment of conception, which is complete bullshit, and therefore should not be killed. They also said the playing god shit, yaddayaddayadda. The pro-abortionists said that it was the womans choice whether she should get an abortion, not the government, but agreed that if the baby is past a certain point (like 9 months, when it's not a shapeless blob and is actually moving and shit), that it shouldn't be done.

Take from that what you will, it's kind of biased towards pro-abortion, which I am. Legalization of abortion.
Quote by devourke
I love you bro. I'd totally turn gay for you after that.

November 13th, 2011. Nodincap.

LoL: Kublai Dong

MC: StealthTurtle
Twitter
Last.fm
Hang them all

Married people, Murderers, people who have abortions.

Hang them all in PUBLIC!

oh and ignorant religious people
Quote by Weaponized

You have my condolences.

OT:
Abortion: I got nothing.
Death penalty: Its far more cost effective to just kill the damned people than keep them in jail until they die.
Definition of marriage: 2 people joined (in the legal sense) to form a "family."(once again in the legal sense) There is absolutely no conceivable reason to not allow two people of the same gender to be married (from the government's viewpoint) when we allow 2 people of different genders to do it. If your religion has a problem with it, then don't allow the ceremony in your place of worship, the government has no say about that. But one group's beliefs shouldn't stop people from being able to legally be with the one that they care about, and all the other shit that goes with marriage, like being the one to decide what to do if they get seriously injured, or sharing things like their retirement benefits.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Abortion: It's a personal decision that the government has no right to ban, as the woman has the right to her own body as long as the baby can't survive on its own. Also I'm a fan of this one.

"Abortion at any point is murder because the baby is going to be viable eventually."
"So you'd be in favor of increased availability of contraceptives, and more complete sex education instead of this abstinence only crap that's been shown in numerous studies to not prevent unwanted pregnancies? I mean, we can prevent abortions by preventing the contraception, right?"

If they won't agree to that they favor creating an environment where unwanted babies are born all the time into terrible, unloving situations.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Abortion: A woman's right to bodily autonomy (human right) overrides the right of a nonsentient parasite's -- dependent on said woman to live -- right to live. Make sure to distinguish the difference between personhood and merely having the vague genetic makeup of a human.
Banning abortion is reducing women to little more than disposable reproduction machines; they can only have sex if they're willing to deal with the "consequences." These consequences are totally arbitrary, as you can say "The consequence is going to get an abortion!" But yeah, banning abortion is sexist for that reason -- it effectively creates a situation wherein women aren't allowed to have casual sex, but men are.

Gay marriage: Homosexuality is natural, just as heterosexuality is, so it's cockamamie to suggest that the government has grounds in oppressing a segment of society in that way.
The religious sanctity argument is pretty easy to refute. Obviously, mention separation of church and state. Then demonstrate how marriage isn't a religious idea; at the very most, the wedding is religious. But the marriage itself -- aka the relationship -- isn't religious.
This one is generally a really easy argument, so don't get too hung up on it.

Death penalty: Capital punishment is a self-refuting idea.
Capital punishment is expensive. If you want to make it cheaper, you will kill even more innocent people -- which is already a disturbingly frequent occurrence. It also takes up a lot of resources, such as juries, time, court space, etc.
If you want to capriciously kill someone for childish and petty reasons, you don't believe in a right to life. You believe life is a privilege, ready to be stripped away.
It's been shown that a jury willing to send someone to death is more likely to charge someone as guilty in the first place, so for this reason, it's impossible to get a fair, balanced trial in a capital case.

These arguments are really just the tip of the iceberg. Good luck.
Last edited by due 07 at Sep 17, 2011,
Abortions should be covered by basic health insurance
death penalty should be used more often. If they are on trial, they are probably guilty
marriage is holy union between man and woman. no homos, atheists, or pagans allowed
Quote by Twist of fate
Against abortion: Increases population helps the economy
Pro abortion: What if the condom broke!? Huh!? What would you do!?

How does an increase in population help the economy? No, my argument for abortion is this. No matter how you cut it, more illegitimate children=more tax revenue being paid for this. You put the kids in foster care? Well that's a federal system that is overloaded as it is. The adoption system is overloaded as well, we don't have the system to support all these kids that were unwanted anyway. Then assuming the mother does keep them you have to look at the group of people who generally have abortions. It's generally someone who can't afford a child (the whole reason they don't want to have one) the majority of these parents will now need some sort of federal aid to be able to support their child. Also, children from lower income parents (which statistically most of the parents will be) are much more likely to grow up to become criminals, hurting society in that way. Pro-lifers would have society fail because they think babies are cute.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by byob_soad2
death penalty should be used more often. If they are on trial, they are probably guilty
marriage is holy union between man and woman. no homos, atheists, or pagans allowed

This guy makes a great point--troll your class.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by byob_soad2

What?! I hope to god you are never on jury duty. That's one of the most idiotic things I've ever heard.
Quote by tayroar
What?! I hope to god you are never on jury duty. That's one of the most idiotic things I've ever heard.

Quote by SteveHouse
This guy makes a great point--troll your class.

this
Quote by doomded

Death penalty: Its far more cost effective to just kill the damned people than keep them in jail until they die.

Lol
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Please troll your class and return with many a great story. Say that if we're allowing gays to marry, we might as well let people marry animals. Also, if anyone tries the 'what if you were raped' shtick tell them they shouldn't wear such revealing clothing.
Quote by AgainstYou
Please troll your class and return with many a great story. Say that if we're allowing gays to marry, we might as well let people marry animals. Also, if anyone tries the 'what if you were raped' shtick tell them they shouldn't wear such revealing clothing.

My teacher is gay

And everyone already knows me as a "hippie" so no one would buy it.
Quote by Weaponized
My teacher is gay

And everyone already knows me as a "hippie" so no one would buy it.

That's going to be a bit one sided debate then. I hope he allows people against gay marriage to have their say. I'm not against gay marriage or anything, I just hate heavy biases in teaching.
Quote by tayroar
That's going to be a bit one sided debate then. I hope he allows people against gay marriage to have their say. I'm not against gay marriage or anything, I just hate heavy biases in teaching.

It's a she.

Sexist