Hey everyone, I just picked up a original Script 5150 from the local music shop in town and I gotta say I love the amp. Its vicious and screams, but I noticed a problem today kinda by accident. I was jammin out on it and I usually have a high treble and high bass setting, but Ive always kinda thought the bass sounded weak even when I had it cranked, well when I was jammin I turned it up to about 3 and then suddenly for about 5 seconds all that bass kicked in, my amp was way louder and the tone was much better now that the bass was there, but then it cut out again and I cant figure out how to stop it from cutting out. I tried both my guitars ( I have Gibsons, a Explorer and a Les Paul studio) and I tried 2 different monster cables but nothin. Can anyone help me out, whats wrong with my amp and how do I fix it?

Gibson Explorer
Peavey 5150
5150 4x12 with Sheffields

One among the Fence.
It may need new pre amp tubes, and power tubes. I'm sure those are past there life span.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
It doesnt fade in or out its like the bass is turned off, when I adjust the bass knob on the EQ the change is very small and there is very little bass response, and Ill try to get pics up asap

Gibson Explorer
Peavey 5150

One among the Fence.
To me it sounds like it may be a dodgy bass pot but i'm no tech either. I'd take it to get checked out, but if you can get your hands on some electrical contact cleaner give the pots a good spray and leave it overnight and see if it's any better.
Alright, thanks everyone this really helps

Gibson Explorer
Peavey 5150

One among the Fence.
yeah - get some Deoxit contact cleaner from Radio Shack (for example). Good stuff. you can use on tube pins/sockets as well

are you looking for more bass out of the amp? the EQ may just be that way. it is an open back combo - try hooking it to a cab. Also try an EQ pedal in the FX loop.