Hey,

So I just moved to San Diego and my luthier's back in DC...so time for me to start taking care of all my own guitar setups (he did the hardware, I did the electric). What Nut filing set do you guys recommend?

I want to be able to take care of my own strings before considering anyone elses.. These are my string gauges I use on most of my guitars: 13-17-26-36-44-56 and 12-16-24-32-42-52.
Taylor 314CE
Modulus G2T and G3CT
3 Warmoth Guitars
2 Fender MIA Strats--SRV & JM
Alvarez w/ Modulus Neck and EMG DG-20s
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 w/ 1960a cab
Breedlove AC250/SM12
Gold Tone Weissenborn
Adrenalinn III & FCB1010
ALOT of pedals
Stewart Macdonald has a great set (I cant speak from experience) that I believe covers all the string gauges. Might be slightly expensive. check them out!
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for_Nuts_and_saddles/Double-edge_Nut_Files.html
Yeah Stew Mac has them, but they are rediculus in price. BYOguitar.com has them a little cheaper. You could always find a set of needle files, they are the same thing but cost 1/10 the price because guitar isn't in the name!
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
A big plus one on the needle files. Many of the "specialized" guitar tools can be fashioned and modified from items found in a hardware store a fraction of the price.
I like the dunlop nut files from LMI

Most luthier tools can be made much cheaper out of everyday hardware store items, but nut files are not one of them. Modifying a needle file gives you a triangle shaped slot that causes the string to stick and hurts tuning. Using a real nut file gives you a round slot that fits the string and there is no sticking.
Not taking any online orders.
you can also use the string to file the nut to fit. Cuit a small piece off or use an old string.

You don't have to modify the needle file all you have to do is get the correct size, they come in all diffrent sizes. use a didgital micrometer to find out what you need for your strings. Or look on the package and most tell the actual size of the string.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^strings do not work if you are filing against something like bone. As for needle files, they are still the wrong shape. A needle file will cut either a triangle or a square slot in the nut. Strings are round so if you want good tuning stability you need a round bottom on the slot. There are ways to survive without nut files but there is no replacement for nut files and having a set of nut files will leave you with a better product.
I see a lot of sellers on e-bay selling nut files that are actually nozzle cleaners for gas torches, spray guns e.t.c . these can't be strong enough to file a nut can they? Even to file a precut one?
I use the $100 set from here: http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdproducts.asp?CategoryName=Fretting&NameProdHeader=Nut+%26+Saddle+Files

They will snap if you are not careful with them. Move them straight and don't let them bind. Rounded to hold the string properly.

They are imported from Japan, and I suspect they are for something else originally so if you are clever you might be able to find them cheaper someplace else.

I've used those stupid welding cleaners and they are worthless. Some people say they use them, but I think they are lying. I've tried several sets of them and they have no cutting edge and bend very easy. Also people will try to sell you cut spark plug gap tools, also lame.

I tried to save money but this is just one of those tools you need to suck it up and get the right tool for the job.
Quote by CorduroyEW
^strings do not work if you are filing against something like bone. As for needle files, they are still the wrong shape. A needle file will cut either a triangle or a square slot in the nut. Strings are round so if you want good tuning stability you need a round bottom on the slot. There are ways to survive without nut files but there is no replacement for nut files and having a set of nut files will leave you with a better product.

Needle files come in many shapes including round and half round. They are essential tools in gunsmithing.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
I know they come in many shapes and sizes but I've never seen them come in .009" with a round bottom AND be a similar price to nut files. The specalized needle files you would need in order to be as effective as nut files come in expensive kits that will set you back just as much as a set of nut files. I'm not saying needle files won't work. I started out using a good set of needle files. I am saying they don't work as well as nut files and if somebody wants to do the best job possible then nut files are a very good investment.