Page 1 of 2
I always thought I was a little bit crazy. Has anybody else regularly experienced this? I used to all the time when I was younger, now it's not so frequent (three or four times a year) but it's far more vivid. Sometimes I can't even tell if the noises I am hearing are audible or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_head_syndrome

Exploding head syndrome is a parasomnia condition that causes the sufferer occasionally to experience a tremendously loud noise as originating from within his or her own head, usually described as the sound of an explosion, roar, gunshot, loud voices or screams, a ringing noise, or the sound of electrical arcing (buzzing).

This noise usually occurs within an hour or two of falling asleep, but is not necessarily the result of a dream and can happen while awake as well. While the sound is perceived as extremely loud, it is usually not accompanied by pain. Attacks appear to change in number over time, with several attacks occurring in a space of days or weeks followed by months of remission. Sufferers often feel a sense of fear and anxiety after an attack, accompanied by elevated heart rate. Attacks are also often accompanied by perceived flashes of light (when perceived on their own, known as a "visual sleep start") or difficulty in breathing. The condition is also known as "auditory sleep starts". It is not thought to be dangerous, although it is sometimes distressing to experience. Sufferers may experience an inability to vocalize any sound, or mild forms of sleep paralysis during an attack.

...So i'm not going insane. Good to know.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Yep, this happens to me occasionally. It's hilarious
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
Yep, this happens to me occasionally. It's hilarious

Hilarious? I can't wait for it to stop, it terrifies me.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Yep, found out a few years back. It was more common when I was younger, as well.
I don't know if it's the same but sometimes I'll just be talking to my friends or something and I'll hear i popping sound. Then, for about a minute i won't be able to hear anything. I can't hear myself speak so I end up yelling when I try and talk.
Quote by colddayinthesun
I don't know if it's the same but sometimes I'll just be talking to my friends or something and I'll hear i popping sound. Then, for about a minute i won't be able to hear anything. I can't hear myself speak so I end up yelling when I try and talk.

This happens to me too! I learned something tonight.
I get it sometimes. It's usually crowd noises or loud voices.

Not the same thing, but related. A few times when I've been almost asleep I hear voices talking, kinda like a dream with no pictures. It's weird. Once I dreamt a whole conversation before realising.

Whenever I got it, it was always two people screaming at each other, one was always much louder and much more fierce than the other. I could never understand or make out specific words.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
I experience something similar to this on occassion, although it might be the same.

Everything seems to speed up, I get anxious and can't seem to think rationally, theres some hypersensitivity, and everything just seems to get louder. Eventually it peaks and its gone within seconds afterward, but its really fricken wierd.

But, it doesn't happen to me when I'm sleeping or attempting to sleep, and I also don't have vocal complications associated with it, although I don't like to talk when its happening.

Edit: Someone said above that it happens to them in quiet places, and thats where it happens to me.
Last edited by Life Is Brutal at Sep 17, 2011,
Quote by Life Is Brutal
I experience something similar to this on occassion, although it might be the same.

Everything seems to speed up, I get anxious and can't seem to think rationally, theres some hypersensitivity, and everything just seems to get louder. Eventually it peaks and its gone within seconds afterward, but its really fricken wierd.

But, it doesn't happen to me when I'm sleeping or attempting to sleep, and I also don't have vocal complications associated with it, although I don't like to talk when its happening.

I believe I've experienced this or something very similar in the past.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
?
My Old Progressive Metal Band:
Acrasia
For fans of Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Cynic.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
Quote by Gerard_xD
I get it sometimes. It's usually crowd noises or loud voices.

Not the same thing, but related. A few times when I've been almost asleep I hear voices talking, kinda like a dream with no pictures. It's weird. Once I dreamt a whole conversation before realising.

That's happened to me before too When you pay attention to it, it sounds like it's hitting your ears and should be coming from somewhere but it's clearly not. It's cool.

I've had the banging thing happen to me in the morning once, I did the wake up/fall back asleep thing and right before I fell asleep I heard this huge bang like a firecracker, scared the shit out of me, but looking back I lol.
Quote by devourke
I love you bro. I'd totally turn gay for you after that.

November 13th, 2011. Nodincap.

LoL: Kublai Dong

MC: StealthTurtle
Twitter
Last.fm
I do not have this. At all.

Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
^^Same exact thing happens to me.
Quote by PeZ546
Damn. I love Austria, it's my favourite place in the world, but they seriously need to nip this 'imprisoning girls in sex-dungeons' thing in the bud..
I occasionally (quite rare) get some ringing sound seemingly originating from inside my head that lasts a few seconds and then goes away. It's not very loud, though, so I'm not sure it's this.

If anyone cares, it's an F#.
When some stranger on the internet says it is so, it must be so.
Last edited by Zeropathic at Sep 17, 2011,
Screw that. Restless Leg Syndrome is much cooler
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I've had this happen a few times. I'd just hear this deafening roar that sounded like an airlock opening in one ear, usually my left, and then I'd be deaf in that ear for a good few minutes.

Shit's weird.

EDIT:

In some cases it is isolated on the left side of the head, and seems to come from the inner ear region.

Well shit.
This happens all the time. I thought it was just because of my tinnitus (dumb theory ), but I guess it's not. I don't really hear explosions, just loud "alien" noises.

Edit: And then I basically go deaf for a minute or two.
Quote by Zeropathic
I occasionally (quite rare) get some ringing sound seemingly originating from inside my head that lasts a few seconds and then goes away. It's not very loud, though, so I'm not sure it's this.

If anyone cares, it's an F#.

Thats the swan song of your ear cells dying. You'll never hear that exact frequency of F# again.

Its hilarious when you can name the pitches and say goodbye to it forever.

"Farewell C#, I knew ye well..."
Quote by metaldud536
I can't recall if it's happened to me but I know sometimes as I fall asleep I see myself climbing stairs or something and I miss a step and then my whole body jolts.

I had a really memorable one of this. I was daydreaming about how great it'd be to play as a 'keeper for Liverpool in a Champions League, must have drifted off because as I was about to save a penalty my right hand spazzed out, I punched a wall and my knuckles started bleeding I think I saved the penalty though.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Life Is Brutal
Has anyone ever been trying to sleep and all of a sudden you just feeling like you're falling? Scares the shit out of me when it happens...

That happens to me sometimes when I'm laying down with my cat on top of me. I'll be laying there petting him, then all of the sudden I feel like I'm falling off the bed and I spaz out and my cat runs away, then I'll stop for a second and realize I was just "falling" asleep.

Seems like everyone has exploding head syndrome. I think I read something about how our jaws kind of push up towards our ears as a flaw in design, and maybe that causes it.
Every poster on here is a 6-foot Catholic schoolgirl with an 8-inch penis and riches beyond my wildest dreams.
Quote by genghisgandhi
Dude, what?

When you hear that high pitched ringing in your ears, thats actually the sound of your ear cells dying. Certain cells are responsible for certain frequencies, and when these cells die (As you age) you lose the ability to hear that exact frequency.

Thats why it gets more difficult to hear higher pitched things as you get older, but its a natural occurance and there isn't much point in hearing that high anyway.

Also, when someone is subject to an excessively loud noise, like an explosion, they often hear a ringing for awhile afterward until they go deaf, and thats their remaining cells dying off from the initial shock.
Last edited by Life Is Brutal at Sep 17, 2011,
Quote by Life Is Brutal
Also, when someone is subject to an excessively loud noise, like an explosion, they often hear a ringing for awhile afterward until they go deaf, and thats their remaining cells dying off from the initial shock.

That just.. blew my mind.

On topic, though, no--I've never experienced this. Luckily.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
I usually get a feeling something is grabbing my leg and pulling me. Only lasts a second, but it freaks me out
Please call me Rainer, was 16 and empty minded when I made my profile.

Sometimes I talk to myself too...but never on the internet.
Page 1 of 2