Hi UG,

Beware, Noob statements and questions iminent:

I have had my guitar for little under a year now. It has an EMG 81 in the bridge and a 60 in the neck. I have found alot of trouble with performing pinch harmonics with the guitar in the bridge and neck position. I have 2 other guitars that are fine to do and both do them very well but with this guitar it is much more difficult. This could be to do with the fact that my strings are very tight as I'm using 11-48's on a 25.5" scale in Eb. It could also be the fact that my neck is quite straight (fixing tomorrow). The EMG 81 is a high output pickup so I assumed it would be quite easy to do harmonics on as I have a strat with single coils I can do it on! Also, how high should the pickups be from the string? I know this is sort of personal preference but what is the standard height? Could it be the rechargable 9V battery?

Thanks alot and again, sorry for the Noob question

/Shield
Laney VH100R, Randall KH 4x12 cab, Harley Benton G212V, ESP LTD EC-1000, Jackson Demmelition King V, LTD KH-602, Tanglewood TW170, LTD EX-50, Squire Strat, Zakk Wylde wah, EHX Small Clone, Blackstar HT-5H
Iunno if it'd be the tightness of the strings, if anything that should make it easier. My main guitar has an 85 in the bridge and an 81 in the neck(it was originally the other way around but I found the 85 useless in the neck and found something a little lacking in the 81 so I swapped them out, and the 81's a rather nice neck pickup IMO, but the 85, I'm not too fond of for anything) and with .10-46s in Eb on a 25.5" scale I've found it fairly easy. However, every guitar has a different "sweet spot" for pinch harmonics. On most guitars I've played it was right next to the middle pickup, or where that should be. On my Schecter, on the other hand, it's juuuuuuuuuuuust behind the neck pickup, almost touching it. It could be the battery too, when did you last replace it? From what I hear you should be replacing it at least once a year.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Oh I recharged it about 2 months ago so that should be fine.

I don't know what it could be then. I've tried different areas to do the harmonic but I can't seem to find it. It seems that the top 3 strings (G,B,E) are OK to do but with the lower strings (E,A,D) it seems much more difficult. I can't get any harmonics until about the 10th fret and even then it's very weak. I can try the guitar tomorrow to check the area's you suggested.

Thanks alot
Laney VH100R, Randall KH 4x12 cab, Harley Benton G212V, ESP LTD EC-1000, Jackson Demmelition King V, LTD KH-602, Tanglewood TW170, LTD EX-50, Squire Strat, Zakk Wylde wah, EHX Small Clone, Blackstar HT-5H
You shouldn't use a rechargable battery with EMGs. They leak power like nobody's business and give a very inconsistent supply, it's like constantly running on low power.

Pickup height for EMGs is advised to be about 3mm away from the bottom of the low E string for the bridge and then adjust the neck pickup so it matches the bridge pickup in output. But really it's personal preference. Having the pickups further away will give you better clarity. Having them closer will give you more bass. With passive pickups the pickup height matters a lot more but with EMGs they're so strong and processed it hardly matters. I place mine quite far away from the strings so they're well away from my picking.

But pinch harmonics are all technique. People will tell you to add a compressor, turn up your gain, put your bridge pickup right next to your strings, use sharper and thicker picks, all that. But that's like using a rocket launcher to swat a fly. You don't get pinch harmonic masters like Billy Gibbons doing that shit. The only bit of your gear you need to concern yourself with is making sure the battery has a lot of life left in it and getting the action how you like it. The rest is down to your fingers.

If you're not totally used to .11s then you might find that's where your problem is. Pinch harmonics can work or fail entirely because of a few thousandths of an inch difference so if you're used to .09s and try to do the same thing in the same way on .11s then yeah there is a 50/50 chance it won't come out clearly. So that may be your problem.
Quote by grohl1987
You shouldn't use a rechargable battery with EMGs. They leak power like nobody's business and give a very inconsistent supply, it's like constantly running on low power.

Pickup height for EMGs is advised to be about 3mm away from the bottom of the low E string for the bridge and then adjust the neck pickup so it matches the bridge pickup in output. But really it's personal preference. Having the pickups further away will give you better clarity. Having them closer will give you more bass. With passive pickups the pickup height matters a lot more but with EMGs they're so strong and processed it hardly matters. I place mine quite far away from the strings so they're well away from my picking.

But pinch harmonics are all technique. People will tell you to add a compressor, turn up your gain, put your bridge pickup right next to your strings, use sharper and thicker picks, all that. But that's like using a rocket launcher to swat a fly. You don't get pinch harmonic masters like Billy Gibbons doing that shit. The only bit of your gear you need to concern yourself with is making sure the battery has a lot of life left in it and getting the action how you like it. The rest is down to your fingers.

If you're not totally used to .11s then you might find that's where your problem is. Pinch harmonics can work or fail entirely because of a few thousandths of an inch difference so if you're used to .09s and try to do the same thing in the same way on .11s then yeah there is a 50/50 chance it won't come out clearly. So that may be your problem.

Thanks alot dude!

Yes it may be the strings as on my other guitars I believe there are 10's on them. And I'll try and get a new battery tomorrow for the guitar.

What about for things such as pedals are rechargables ok? Or should I just replace the whole lot?!
i would use anything rechargable for guitar gear. they have rechargable power supplies for pedals but batteries wont work so well. just use regular 9v or normal power supplies
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED