So I'm trying to replace a cracked nut in my Stratocaster but when I removed the old one I found that it wasn't glued in. So I was wondering if I need to use glue or not?
You shouldn't glue it really. The nut should be a tight enough fit that it doesn't need gluing, it shouldn't move at all once the strings are on. It can't hurt to put a very thin layer of medium strength glue on, something like Uhu. Don't super glue it or epoxy glue it or anything like that. Go very easy on the glue too, if you do decide to glue it in. Test fit the new nut first though and if it's a very tight fit as it should be then my advice would be to not glue it at all.
Quote by grohl1987
You shouldn't glue it really. The nut should be a tight enough fit that it doesn't need gluing, it shouldn't move at all once the strings are on. It can't hurt to put a very thin layer of medium strength glue on, something like Uhu. Don't super glue it or epoxy glue it or anything like that. Go very easy on the glue too, if you do decide to glue it in. Test fit the new nut first though and if it's a very tight fit as it should be then my advice would be to not glue it at all.

What?

Glue the nut in. I've had enough of them pop out on my when changing strings that I have learned to glue them in.. The only time they should come off is when you are replacing them.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Use a tiny dab of white glue, that's all you need.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
Glue it. the nut on my schecter wasnt glued, and now its falling apart. there is a 1.5mm gap between the FB and the nut, making hardly tunable.
Quote by Strat007
Use a tiny dab of white glue, that's all you need.

and that really means a "tiny dab". you just need enough to fix it in place so it doesn't fall off. too much glue and it'll be hard to detach if you need to replace the nut again in future. a little goes a long way.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.