Page 1 of 2
I live in a house with constant cigar smoking (there's nothing I can do to change it) and am getting a new guitar soon. Is there anything I can do to stop my guitar from smelling like smoke?
Do you live in a one room house? Put it in a room where theres no smoke.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Elite
Squier Strat
Fender Acoustic
Line 6 POD XT-Live
Blackstar HT-1 Combo
Quote by butterfingers30

yeah, that's about all you can do. Just find some way to isolate it from the smoke.
Over time that smoke is going to do hell to your pickups and electronics. One day you;ll open your guitar up to work on something and you find all of this tar junk inside. That is what happens to electronics around smoke. That's why you can't smoke in a recording studio.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
create separation!!!

-keep the guitar in its case
-try to find a room where people don't smoke as much or at all
-keep the guitar away from surfaces that will hold smoke (a couch, for example)
-clean your guitar regularly with a good polish: not only do you remove old debris, you create a barrier preventing the accumulation of new crap.
Quote by butterfingers30

It will be in a room without smoke, but that doesn't really change anything. Everything I own is in a different room and still smells like smoke, it's gross. I guess I'll just leave it in it's case.
The smoke will be damaging to your finish. I've seen guitars that have a layer of crud built on top of the finish from being kept in smoker homes. After you play it use a polish and string cleaner of some kind to clean it off. It wouldn't hurt to use the polishing "cream of caranuba" that comes in the dunlop 65 kit. Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. Sorry you gotta be in all that.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
Quote by ThrashMetal014
The smoke will be damaging to your finish. I've seen guitars that have a layer of crud built on top of the finish from being kept in smoker homes. After you play it use a polish and string cleaner of some kind to clean it off. It wouldn't hurt to use the polishing "cream of caranuba" that comes in the dunlop 65 kit. Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. Sorry you gotta be in all that.

Thanks, I'll be sure to get some before I get the guitar, and I guess that's pretty much all I can do besides leaving it in the case.
I don't know if you can find something like this but I'll throw the suggestion out there anyway. I lived in a smoking home for years and smoke gets into absolutely every tiny crack. You're basically trying to keep the air away from something because the entirety of the air is diffused with smoke. The only way to keep the air off of it is to keep it in an air-tight environment. With a guitar that would be tricky due to the size.

What I would do is try to find some sort of large ziplock type of air-tight plastic bag big enough to hold a guitar. Couldn't tell you where to start looking for something like that though. Maybe a dry-cleaning place, but I think all their plastic is pretty much non-sealable.

As an alternate suggestion you may try keeping it in a trash bag that's knotted at least twice at the top to minimize air flow into the bag. Then put that trash bag into another trash bag (plastic bags are porous) - the more layers of plastic bags the less airflow will get through to the bottom layer. It wouldn't be convenient for getting the guitar in and out but it would help keep the smoky air off of it.

Edit: Actually thinking further on the trash bag idea, you could get some of those nearly foot long fresh seal clips that are meant for keeping bags of chips fresh. Then instead of untying knots in the bags you just remove the clips. Much easier.
Last edited by Ph0toN at Sep 18, 2011,
Quote by Ph0toN
I don't know if you can find something like this but I'll throw the suggestion out there anyway. I lived in a smoking home for years and smoke gets into absolutely every tiny crack. You're basically trying to keep the air away from something because the entirety of the air is diffused with smoke. The only way to keep the air off of it is to keep it in an air-tight environment. With a guitar that would be tricky due to the size.

What I would do is try to find some sort of large ziplock type of air-tight plastic bag big enough to hold a guitar. Couldn't tell you where to start looking for something like that though. Maybe a dry-cleaning place, but I think all their plastic is pretty much non-sealable.

As an alternate suggestion you may try keeping it in a trash bag that's knotted at least twice at the top to minimize air flow into the bag. Then put that trash bag into another trash bag (plastic bags are porous) - the more layers of plastic bags the less airflow will get through to the bottom layer. It wouldn't be convenient for getting the guitar in and out but it would help keep the smoky air off of it.

Edit: Actually thinking further on the trash bag idea, you could get some of those nearly foot long fresh seal clips that are meant for keeping bags of chips fresh. Then instead of untying knots in the bags you just remove the clips. Much easier.

Thanks that's actually a good idea, I'll just put the whole case into a couple bags. If that doesn't work I don't know what will

Edit: Would an air purifier help?
Last edited by Swete at Sep 18, 2011,
Smoking just makes the finish age properly.

Do you think old fenders would look so awesome if their owners werent all 40 year+ smokers.

Not at all.

Crack a window and keep it in its case.
Quote by beckyjc
Smoking just makes the finish age properly.

Do you think old fenders would look so awesome if their owners werent all 40 year+ smokers.

Not at all.

Crack a window and keep it in its case.

Maybe it would look awesome, but it would stink. At least it would stink like cigars instead of cigarettes though.
Quote by Swete
Maybe it would look awesome, but it would stink. At least it would stink like cigars instead of cigarettes though.

Then take up smoking.

Us smokers are pretty ignorant to the smell of our own cancer.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Get a white guitar. In 15 years it will look badass.

I was planning on getting a white gibson explorer. I just don't want it to smell like smoke the entire time I own it.
My mate has a pretty expensive Martin acoustic, about £1700 worth. He played it at a beach around a campfire (no Sweet Home Alabama or Wonderwall, don't worry) and it stank of smoke ever since. We went to see Tommy Emmanuel and met him before the show and my mate told Tommy of the situation and he advised that my friend used a non alcoholic based after shave or deodorant to get the smell out.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
My mate has a pretty expensive Martin acoustic, about £1700 worth. He played it at a beach around a campfire (no Sweet Home Alabama or Wonderwall, don't worry) and it stank of smoke ever since. We went to see Tommy Emmanuel and met him before the show and my mate told Tommy of the situation and he advised that my friend used a non alcoholic based after shave or deodorant to get the smell out.

would that actually work? It seems odd
Teach your guitar not to be a pussy.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Teach your guitar not to be a pussy.

lol.

Anyway, should I just stick with my Epiphone for 2-3 years til I move out? It doesn't seem worth it to buy a good guitar if it's just going to stink the entire time I own it.
Quote by Swete
lol.

Anyway, should I just stick with my Epiphone for 2-3 years til I move out? It doesn't seem worth it to buy a good guitar if it's just going to stink the entire time I own it.

Thats a total personal call. But if you really want a certain guitar, I say get it. You may find that it will boost your determination for learning new styles or progressing faster in your own.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Duv
Keep it in its case. Keep rooms well ventilated. Polish from time to time.

You think that will be enough? If so I guess it's not that bad then. I'll just keep the door closed, and my windows open.
it's just some smoke man.. if you can bear living in a house that smells like cigars all the time then what is a little smoke parfume on your guitar? just clean it once in a while
Quote by Swete
I live in a house with constant cigar smoking (there's nothing I can do to change it) and am getting a new guitar soon. Is there anything I can do to stop my guitar from smelling like smoke?

Is your house humidity-controllable? If yes, then you'll need to get rid of the smell frequently to get rid of the guitar smell. If not, then put the guitar in a room where you don't smoke, then use a humidifier in your guitar case to get rid of the smell. Myself, I'd always clean the guitar before and after I play the guitar.
PS I would try quitting smoking. It's bad for your health, and it's not worth risking your life for that much of stuff.
Quote by parhelia_0000
Is your house humidity-controllable? If yes, then you'll need to get rid of the smell frequently to get rid of the guitar smell. If not, then put the guitar in a room where you don't smoke, then use a humidifier in your guitar case to get rid of the smell. Myself, I'd always clean the guitar before and after I play the guitar.
PS I would try quitting smoking. It's bad for your health, and it's not worth risking your life for that much of stuff.

I don't actually smoke, i think it's disgusting. It's my father. Can't really do anything to get him to stop. Anyway, yeah I'll leave it in my room in a case with a humidifier and I guess that will do it. I usually clean my guitars when I'm done so that part is fine.
Quote by Swete
You think that will be enough? If so I guess it's not that bad then. I'll just keep the door closed, and my windows open.

I guess so. My reason being that lots of vintage guitars that players have these days have played in smokey houses/studios/clubs and bars for years and they're fine. They were also nitro finished which wears out quickly.

Seriously I'd be more concerned about the odour getting into soft fabrics (clothes, case lining), your hair, your curtains etc.

Also smoke can be very harmful to tube amps so be careful with that.
Quote by Duv
I guess so. My reason being that lots of vintage guitars that players have these days have played in smokey houses/studios/clubs and bars for years and they're fine. They were also nitro finished which wears out quickly.

Seriously I'd be more concerned about the odour getting into soft fabrics (clothes, case lining), your hair, your curtains etc.

Also smoke can be very harmful to tube amps so be careful with that.

Yea my furniture smells like smoke, but I manage to keep my clothes smoke free. And yes that's why I don't want to buy a new amp (I have a Marshall Mg15 ) keeping smoke away from an amp would be impossible
Quote by Duv
Not being a dick but it really sounds like you should ask your dad to smoke outside.

Buy him a patio heater for his next birthday.

He pretty much refuses, my mom and sister moved out because of this, he's a stubborn man
take the guitar, put it in a garbage back, THEN store it the case, then wrap the case in saranwrap, then enter the house. then N3V3R take the guitar out of this on the house. just play outside.

No, seriously, move out.
Quote by n1ckn1ce
take the guitar, put it in a garbage back, THEN store it the case, then wrap the case in saranwrap, then enter the house. then N3V3R take the guitar out of this on the house. just play outside.

No, seriously, move out.

Buy an acoustic and play outside? At night you can leave it in a case and chain the case to your house.

On a serious note, just clean it often and leave it in a closet or something if the smoke gets too much. And leave a window open. But I doubt it'll do much if you take (extra) care of it. The finish will be affected but hey, people pay thousands of dollars for a new guitar that looks like crap. Then in 3 decades you can call it vintage and sell it for $3000.

I know, I'm pretty smart
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by n1ckn1ce

No, seriously, move out.

I would move out, but I'm 16.

Anyway, not really worried about the finish as much as the smell. But i guess all I can do at all is leave it in it's case in a ventilated area (and clean it often obviously)
Stick a nicotine patch on it.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
Be sure you get the right kind of guitar for your finish and dont put it on the neck unless it is safe to do so depending on the type of wood of your neck.
And if you want to do sht against the smell, then put some fresh ground coffee in your case from time to time and leave it in there for a few days, the proceed to vacuum case.

The coffee will "fight" the cigar's odor, effectively causing your guitar to smell like fresh coffee, and while that might be a tad unusual, it is at least much nicer then the aforementioned smell of old smoke.
Quote by IbanEZP
And if you want to do sht against the smell, then put some fresh ground coffee in your case from time to time and leave it in there for a few days, the proceed to vacuum case.

The coffee will "fight" the cigar's odor, effectively causing your guitar to smell like fresh coffee, and while that might be a tad unusual, it is at least much nicer then the aforementioned smell of old smoke.

Thanks, I'll try that, it would actually be nice to have a guitar that smells like coffee.
my rickenbacker 4001 smells of stale beer, smoke, weed, cocaine and vomit. and that, my friends, is what pure mojo smells like.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
I have a 40 year old Les Paul, and a father that passed away from lung-cancer 10 years ago.

The guitar STILL smells of smoke, and every time I pull it out of the case, I'm reminded of him.

Smoke is a nasty smell, but when you've been away from it... then smell it on the guitar... it's like a perfect perfume to match the soul of the guitar.

Oddly, the furry lining of the guitar case hasn't retained the smell, the same way the guitar has. I have never cleaned the case, but I did try to clean the smell off the guitar many times. Now, I'd be saddened if the smell ever goes away.
Quote by Duv
Not being a dick but it really sounds like you should ask your dad to smoke outside.

Buy him a patio heater for his next birthday.

Sorry, but asking someone to vacate their own premises IS being a dick.
^ It's called being considerate and reaching a compromise. Cigar smoke stinks, cigarette smoke stinks and the smell gets into everything. And that's before you get to secondary smoke and the harm it may cause.

And that's coming from a smoker.

At the very least he should agree to smoke by an open window/on a balcony or something. Could even make a nice smoking area outside.
Page 1 of 2