In this song, at 0:42, he hits a note on top of a chord that just changes the mood of the song a tad and it just stands out and forms a new base for where the song may go. I've figured out the key is G# Minor and the the note is the 4th degree of the scale, a C#, which is a perfect 4th away. But that's all I know. I can't really hear the chords so idk where to go from here. Help please?

http://www.youtube.com./watch?v=aH2CuO85HwE&feature=related
At 0:42 the chord changes. To a minor chord.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Sean0913
No, that's all it is. Sorry to burst your bubble, its a C#m change basically.

Best,

Sean

Exactly right.

There's one technique employed, and that's creative use of tension.

He's soloing for 41 seconds over the same chord vamp.

This gives so much build-up in tension, that changing the chord after so long feels very fresh and noticeable.

Also, why did I just hear a low floor tom and crash sounds, when they are not present in the video?

Actually, why does he play with brushes, when I hear a stick sound?

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Sep 18, 2011,
Alright, thanks, I think I get it now. I'm gonna mess around with a chord progression and solo over it to see if I can get the same effect.

Also, to Sean, I want to thank you for helping me out last year. When I was just learning basic theory. I've come so far since then and you, along with my guitar teacher and just a lot of people, have helped me come this far. Thanks.
Quote by ChadLikesGuitar
Alright, thanks, I think I get it now. I'm gonna mess around with a chord progression and solo over it to see if I can get the same effect.

Also, to Sean, I want to thank you for helping me out last year. When I was just learning basic theory. I've come so far since then and you, along with my guitar teacher and just a lot of people, have helped me come this far. Thanks.

You made my day. Happy to have helped. Keep it up man, that's what its all about!

Best,

Sean