Okay, so I consider myself an almost-pro guitarist, I still have a shit ton to learn of course... I just find that lately while trying to learn Kafir by Nile, and among others I was attempting to learn. I am very good at alternate picking and sweep picking but mixing the 2 together sometimes seems impossible. Any picking exercises you could post to help me out? Would be very appreciated!
Last edited by HeavyMetalDude1 at Sep 18, 2011,
How about you write your own damn songs instead of steal Ola Englund and Feared's songs!
Quote by ampoverload
How about you write your own damn songs instead of steal Ola Englund and Feared's songs!

Just....what?

Anyways, if you want to be able to mix techniques together smoothly you have to practice it together. Take a sweeping lick you like and an alternate picking lick you like and practice playing em one after another. It´s therefor much better to use musical ideas, stuff you can actully use, to do this.

And yeah, practice it in all different ways you can think of. Starting with the sweep then going into alternate picking or start with alternate and go into the sweep.

Hope i helped.

Cheers.
Quote by Sickz
Just....what?

Anyways, if you want to be able to mix techniques together smoothly you have to practice it together. Take a sweeping lick you like and an alternate picking lick you like and practice playing em one after another. It´s therefor much better to use musical ideas, stuff you can actully use, to do this.

And yeah, practice it in all different ways you can think of. Starting with the sweep then going into alternate picking or start with alternate and go into the sweep.

Hope i helped.

Cheers.

^ that.
it's good to practice a technique in isolation. but try not to lose sight of the fact that you need to bring all techniques into your playing style and be able to combine them easily to flow smoothly.

Aside from what sickz said... I like to find passages that I can't play for whatever reason... slow them down and master them. Maybe you can find one that forces you between sweeping and regular picking. Learn the passage and you'll be teaching yourself how to smoothly transistion between the two.
(either that or make up some passages of your own)
good luck
No offence, but I wouldn't have thought someone who is "almost-pro" would be posting for advice on how to learn someone else's songs.

Surely if you're almost pro you should be writing your own songs and have already discovered the techniques you use in their creation? I'm not sure how else you could be making enough money out of your playing to be in the process of becoming professional.

Obviously even the best of the best still has things they can learn, but unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean surely you should be posting answers on here, not questions?

I realise it's not exactly responding to the thread subject, but it's what struck me when I read your original post.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Okay, so I consider myself an almost-pro guitarist...

So you're almost making a living playing death metal?

Doing a lot better than Nile then...

You need to be more specific about your problem. If you want to mix them or just transition between them, the key is to land on the correct pickstroke to follow through with a sweep. If you practice sweeping with inside and outside string changes you should have no problem with any combination of pickstrokes.