Hey UG,

I've been playing guitar for about 3 years and want to upgrade to a new amp. Currently I own an Ibanez RG 350 with Dimarzio DiActivator pickups (neck and bridge) and a VOX Valvetronix VT.

I want something with more distortion that can compare to Velvet Revolver, Motley Crue and Whitesnake.

I welcome all suggestions!

Thanks.
anything Marhsall
Orange Dark Terror
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
I know Slash from Velvet Revolver uses Marshalls, might be a good place to start, maybe a second hand jcm800
---
I was thinking something small good for a bedroom. I heard the lower end Marshalls aren't as good. If that is the case, do you suggest anything else?
Quote by stonyman65
anything Marhsall
Orange Dark Terror

NOOOOOOOOOOhohohohooooo
No
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Quote by warlockfan
I was thinking something small good for a bedroom. I heard the lower end Marshalls aren't as good. If that is the case, do you suggest anything else?

You're right. The lower end Marshalls are pretty bad. The MG series is complete trash and an insult to customers, the MA series (tube) is lackluster at best, and the Haze and Class 5 amps (tube) are just kinda decent.

For a great Marshall-y sound at bedroom levels, look into the H&K Tubemeister 18. It's a new 18-watt Marshall clone with a few extra goodies like a lead boost and it sounds great.

Aside from that, I recommend the Blackstar HT-5r, HT-20, or HT-40. They're all great hybrid amps. They're not technically all-tube. but sometimes that's a good thing. (More gain on tap, more features at a lower price, still great tone, etc)

They have GREAT clean tone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MOXCh5qOds

And great overdrive tone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aynUeOnDl60

For a comprehensive review by some of my favorite reviewers, check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MxJ5bvCk6w

Good luck!
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Last edited by Ayses at Sep 18, 2011,
Whoa I'm really digging that Blackstar! It seems to be affordable and worth the money for a tone like what I'm looking for. I appreciate everyone's suggestions.

Thanks a bunch!
Quote by warlockfan
Whoa I'm really digging that Blackstar! It seems to be affordable and worth the money for a tone like what I'm looking for. I appreciate everyone's suggestions.

Thanks a bunch!
No problem man! Yeah I'm a huge fan of the Blackstar amps. They sound great and are very versatile. Usually, until you get into the $1100+ range, most mainstream tube amps either have good cleans OR good drive, not both. The Blackstars manage to have both at an affordable price, with an FX loop and an EQ on both channels with a master volume.

You really can't go wrong with them. Especially used!
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Last edited by Ayses at Sep 18, 2011,
Quote by Ayses
NOOOOOOOOOOhohohohooooo
No

I know, but I mean the real Marhsalls...

for small stuff, I would seriously look at some of the smaller Orange amps. A 15 watt tube amp for bedroom practice is more than enough (around 100db) and it allows you to crank it to get saturation without going deaf.

A big tube amp (like 50-100 watts) is going to be LOUD. unless you get an amp with a master volume control or THD Hotplate, you are never going to be able to play that amp to its full potential. And most tube amps don't sound that good unless they are driven hard.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.