Me again. I was the dildo inquiring about 7 strings a few weeks back. I ended up getting my sought-after AZR307, problem is the pick ups are shit for metal (bottom string is very muddy especially). Right now I'm leaning towards D-activators, but the Tone 7 caught my eye as well. I'm also eyeing the Seymour Duncan Mayhem Distortion pair. Which pickups should I go with? Rhythm is a priority. As a sidenote I'm also unsure of whether I should replace the neck pickup as well... I need a pickup that will do justice to cleans of Opeth.
Last edited by serpent_sun at Sep 18, 2011,
Have to ask; what amp are you using?
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
I also wouldn't recommend EMGs. I think you are on the right track with Dimarzio. Something like the Crunch Lab or D Sonic with maybe a Breed neck would be an improvement no doubt but if you are playing through a amp with an 8" speaker (for example) you won't get any decent bass response
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
If you want to stay passive, definitely check out the DiMarzio D-Activators. For the neck, check out a Liquifier or a Blaze.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
For the time being I'm stuck with the Spider IV 75w. I have no interest in EMGS or any other active pickups right now. I'm thinking of forgetting Seymour Duncan ones this time, and either get the D-activators with the Liquifire neck someone mentioned, or getting the crunchlab-liquifire combo. If anyone has any comments on D-acvtivators vs Crunchlab, I'm very interested. Also, is the D-activator neck worth getting? It would simplify things to get the combo.
Last edited by serpent_sun at Sep 18, 2011,