good morrow to you sirs,

The other day, i realized something. Something very foul, and it has been haunting me since...

I have shitty tone.

It was at a gig, and we played, then some other guys played but their guitarist had the sweetest tone imaginable.

I never used to be into getting more shit, but enough is enough and I refuse to be outdone by some guitarist that can only play powerchords.

My current stuff is this :
-Les Paul Copy with Dimarzio Tonezone in the bridge position, Seymour Duncan something in neck (my friends pickups i just got and put in)
-EHX Metal Muff (+ whatever my friend will lend me for effects)
-Laney LG35R (I really need a new amp... this is too small and shitty for gigging)

For effects, I'm planning to get a Line6 M13. I only ever need like delay, bit of pitch shifting, maybe a wah pedal, and some compression, and this one pedal can handle all of that. I'm going to order one very soon.

But for everything else, I have no idea. I don't know if I should change my pickups to legit pickups, or get my hands on a better amp (I probably do need a better amp...).

SO... I come to you my UG friends, what do I have to do to get good tone?

I'd like to sound like Thrice (Vheissu-Alchemy Index), Coheed, a bit of The Fall of Troy, Closure in Moscow, Protest the Hero (if I could actually play their shit)

please help me
The line6 is good, but also look at the tc nova system.
Dimarzio and SD are great pickups. I don't know what you mean by 'legit', but you shouldn't have much problem with those.
Sounds like amp is the main thing that you need to change.
And I wouldn't really say the metal muff is the greatest for those sounds, but I've never played one, so I may be wrong.

Budget?
RIP Gooze

cats
Get a new amp, and rely on your amp's overdrive/distortion for your dirt sounds.

And beware the M13. You might become obsessed like me : D
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
okay, so pickups are ok

over the years, ive had some people tell me tonezone would be muddy in a les paul
but i guess it really is the amp.

lets assume my budget to be around $600 for this new amp. what do you guys recommend? I need this for live shows (i'm definitely not famous so it doesn't need to be gigantic), as well as home use.
id really prefer a combo, just for it to be easier to bring around...

so any blackstar amp? or is there a specific type to get? I don't want it tooo high gain btw
Quote by Cheesepuff

so any blackstar amp? or is there a specific type to get? I don't want it tooo high gain btw

They're all pretty much identical except for wattage, with the exception that the HT-40 and up have voicing options for different channels. EX: 'normal' and 'boutique' settings for the clean channel and 'vintage' and 'modern' settings for the drive channel. They're pretty versatile, too. You can get a super clean, slightly dirty, bluesy, classic rock, hard rock, thrash metal or modern metal tone out of them. The gain knob on the drive channel goes from slightly dirty to modern metal. You just have to find the sweet spot for what you want to play.

Aside from Blackstar amps, I recommend the Egnater Tweaker amps, the H&K Tubemeister, and the Orange Dual Terror.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Quote by Cheesepuff

head/cab setups are way, way easier to transport than combos. I honestly don't know why so many people think combos are easier to transport...

Quote by Cheesepuff
would an HT20 combo be enough for gigs? it sounds great and it wont kill me to buy it

I wouldn't recommend anything under 40W for gigging. A lot of people disagree, but I personally don't like using anything under 100W. I likes me some headroom. And I like knowing that I can get as loud as I need to in case a venue doesn't have a PA.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
head/cab setups are way, way easier to transport than combos. I honestly don't know why so many people think combos are easier to transport...

I wouldn't recommend anything under 40W for gigging. A lot of people disagree, but I personally don't like using anything under 100W. I likes me some headroom. And I like knowing that I can get as loud as I need to in case a venue doesn't have a PA.

explain please. a combo is like just one heavy box to lug around. A head and cab is two. And you have to worry if it gets unplugged from each other and stuff like that...
Exactly. One HEAVY box. Obviously you've never encountered a 5150/6505 combo. I would gladly make 2 trips, hell, I would gladly make 10 trips of carrying my head and my 4x12 cab than carrying that combo.

And it never just "comes unplugged". You never really touch the cable, unless you are moving it.

EDIT: Combos are fine I guess if you only have one speaker in them, but once you have 2 or more, it just becomes uneconomic. Even still, I'd rather have a head/cab setup for the versatility of having a head cab, and that would be worth the 2 trips for me.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Sep 18, 2011,
Quote by Offworld92

100W? What are you doing, playing at stadiums?

If you want PRISTINE cleans, then you will need 50w+ for medium gigs IMO.
If you don't mind a tiny bit of grit / pushed cleans 30w will suffice.
You can get away with 15w if you don't mind not having cleans.

You will only NEED 100w if you really don't want any dirt in your clean whatsoever, and are playing fairly large gigs without a pa [which is pretty damn rare].

*Note I'm talking tube amps
RIP Gooze

cats
Better to have it and not need it, than to need/want it and not have it. Simple as that. Also I play very modern metal, usually with drummers that like to hit very very hard. That's also a big factor. Ideally I'd want to work with a drummer who can control his technique, but most I've encountered can't, so it's nice to be able to hear myself with their playing.

And I can always turn down, no problem. Good luck turning a low watted amp up.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Generally i find the higher watt amps have more oopmth to the low end even at low volumes but maybe thats just me.

As far as the threadstarter goes. Don't bother with the effects just yet get a new amp so you can get your core tone sorted out. I may have to bring out the GG&A cliche phrase here but it does stand true. The fx just add flavour if you're running them into a shit amp it'll still sound shit.
Quote by Offworld92
Better to have it and not need it, than to need/want it and not have it. Simple as that. Also I play very modern metal, usually with drummers that like to hit very very hard. That's also a big factor. Ideally I'd want to work with a drummer who can control his technique, but most I've encountered can't, so it's nice to be able to hear myself with their playing.

And I can always turn down, no problem. Good luck turning a low watted amp up.

Drummers hitting hard shouldn't be that huge a problem in clean sections though? Although maybe it is
Who cares? Anyway...
For the bold part, monitors should help.
For modern metal, the higher wattage will have better bass response and stuff under high gain. But for the more classic rock sound you want the sound of a cranked amp, and therefor want to be able to turn the amp up loud. Similarly, I like the sound of a pushed tube amp for cleans, and find that 30w is perfect to get that perfectly for me in smallish gigs.

So it depends on application. But for you [for example], 50 watts would be fine, as is 100w. 100w isn't necessary but it works so who cares.

Kind of a pointless post I suppose. Just saying that I agree with you but it's situation dependent
RIP Gooze

cats
It is situation dependent. And personally, power amp distortion would be very bad for what I'm playing, hence the need for high wattage/headroom for me.

I'm just assuming that TS also doesn't want power amp distortion, based no the bands he listed.

Now, if I was playing in a classic rock band, I'd probably get a Marshall Class 5 and crank that mother.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Cheesepuff

SO... I come to you my UG friends, what do I have to do to get good tone?

register on TGP
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
register on TGP

tried that and all i got from it was an inferiority complex and the feeling that i'm poorer than i am
that's the first step to nailing that robben ford chirp
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Ht series also gets my vote, although look into peavey's tube vypyrs too. The Vypyr may be a modeler, but its a very good one.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by classicrocker01
The Ht series also gets my vote, although look into peavey's tube vypyrs too. The Vypyr may be a modeler, but its a very good one.
I agree, the Vypyrs are great. The Diezel setting with the gain at about 60% with a lot of mids sounds fantastic, especially at higher volumes. Very organic and tube-like.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst