Hello, I have an opportunity to buy a 94 gibson sg standard. The guy wants $500.
The headstock was broken and repaired. I haven't tried it yet but he says it plays fine.

Should I stay away from this guitar? Is $500 too much?
thanks
Steve
Gibson headstocks are prone to breakage, especially if it's dropped. Did he drop it? If the repair doesn't bother you, then go for it. I'm not sure what the typical price is for a repaired SG though.
Yes, if it was professionally repaired. Like W4RP1G said, Gibson headstocks/necks are very prone to breakage, but if they've been repaired well, they are stronger than they were initially.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I don't know how it broke. There is also a busted A string so if I do try it out..it's not going to play well. What should I offer him?
thanks
Quote by tiki16
I don't know how it broke. There is also a busted A string so if I do try it out..it's not going to play well. What should I offer him?
thanks

Well, the Standard is $1200 new, so $500 is probably a fair price.
Quote by Offworld92
Yes, if it was professionally repaired. Like W4RP1G said, Gibson headstocks/necks are very prone to breakage, but if they've been repaired well, they are stronger than they were initially.

Please stop spreading this misconception. Only the glued joint is stronger. Broken headstocks can break again right beside the original break.
Moving on.....
If I put higher gauge strings on it, will it affect the joint?
I think $500 for a repaied SG standard is a little high priced regaurdless. Offer him $400 max.

EDIT: used youd get @$800-1000 depending on condition(with out a broken headstock), so 1/2 of that price because of the break
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Sep 18, 2011,
thanks for the replies. Ya I saw a thread where a guy was bidding on a similar guitar. It was a 2008, red and came with OHSC. He said his max bid was $300.
Prolly throw a $400 bid at him.