I want to start a band and awesomely I found some talented people at my American school that will probably be willing to do it. But how does that even work? We're in Athens, Greece and the main language is obviously Greek...

Will anybody even want to see us? I mean I would be resistant to seeing a band that only speaks Greek so it's probably the same way on the other side. What do you think I should do? I don't even know what the concerts are like here and how venues work. (I just moved here) We may not even be able to play because some Greeks don't like Americans... Maybe we could find an open area and put signs around that we are playing "in the field by *insert road here*" lol XD

I know I sound pretty pessimistic and I think I have some reason to be, but know that I'm going to try this anyway, I mostly just want suggestions of what to do.
Hmm maybe I could make the songs the way I would normally in English, and then translate them to Greek. Hopefully the rhythm doesn't change too much though with the number of syllables and such
we don't like americans(lets not get into social and political quarrels here) but we love music.......there are several venues you could try to get in contact with.what kind of music your band plays?
Quote by fairytaleman
we don't like americans(lets not get into social and political quarrels here) but we love music.......there are several venues you could try to get in contact with.what kind of music your band plays?

Mainly punk rock
I don't know that your songs have to be in Greek but if you are going to live in Greece then it is a basic courtesy to learn the language. People who talk to you before and after the show will have a lot more respect for you and won't think about your nationality so much if they don't need to translate for you. It will also be easier to book shows if you can speak the language.
Yasu malaka tikanis
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Quote by SomebodySomeone
Yasu malaka tikanis

Woah dude why did you say that? Is this a joke? Why can't we just talk

Anyway I'm definitely going to learn the language but I don't think I'll know it well enough to make songs in the language easily
Errr. My former bosses were greek. I heard it multiple times. They said it meant " hi buddy how r u?".
But thy also said " malaka " has different meanings so yeah .......
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
No matter what any economist says, the main export of the USA is pop culture. Ever wonder why American (or rather, English-speaking Western bands who are influenced by American music - think U2 or AC/DC) can pull of worldwide tours that other, non-English artists can't? Or why Hollywood films perform almost as well overseas as in the States? Or why so many foreign artists perform in English?
I think you'll be fine.
I think the real problem is that TS hasn't really started learning about the country he's in. Perhaps it would be best if you and your mates from the "American school" step outside and see some local gigs.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by SomebodySomeone
Errr. My former bosses were greek. I heard it multiple times. They said it meant " hi buddy how r u?".
But thy also said " malaka " has different meanings so yeah .......

Oh wow hahahahaha malaka means *sshole

Everyone else brings good points, now I'm more confident. But yeah we should definitely check out some shows and stuff but I just moved here very recently
Quote by Tmusician
Oh wow hahahahaha malaka means *sshole

Everyone else brings good points, now I'm more confident. But yeah we should definitely check out some shows and stuff but I just moved here very recently

yeah, they said asshole, buddy, and if you add the "i" it means errr....well you know
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
well countries that dont speak english go to see english speaking bands...however i am talking about big bands
I love multiple bands that don't sing in English and people in other countries love English-speaking bands so...
Go to shows and get involved with the local venues before you start trying to book shows. Basically, just do the same things you would do in the states. good luck.