Page 1 of 6
Well, should it?

I believe it should be optional after primary/elementary school, for several reasons:

It's embarrassing:
During intermediate and college (middle school and high school) you hit puberty, and you can start all sorts of body issues when you are forced into physical activity in front of other kids, and the PE uniforms you have to wear (the shorts are shorter than most people's boxers, and still too wide). Many people who have weight issues may also begin to associate PE with humiliation, and simply wont exercise to lose weight.

It's useless at getting you fit:
If you're trying to get in shape doing minimal exercise for 3 hours a week, you're dreaming. If the schools really want to promote good health, they should promote students doing exercise in their own time, and perhaps start some sort of cycling club, or make it easier for students to have access to sports equipment (bikes etc.)

It's a waste of time and money:
If I cut PE out of my timetable, I would have saved half a day. If I didn't have to buy PE uniform, that's a couple hundred dollars in the pocket.

It's an excuse for people to be violent:
If I had a dollar for every time someone has turned a game involving simple tagging into a beating, I'd be very well-off. I once had a kid shove me face-first into concrete during a game of capture-the-flag. People often use classes like these as an excuse for hitting people. Not to mention coaches usually promote that kind of behavior anyway.

People have stuff they'd rather be doing:
I'd be ****ing stoked if I had three extra music lessons or computer class, or even an extra class in each core subject in place of PE. It would allow the teachers to cover more material, and take their time teaching. I'm sure even history class would be bearable if there were enough lessons for us not to have to rush through 200 years of conflict in an hour.

TL;DR
Body issues
Useless exercise plan
Costs
Waste of time
Taking tag too far
Could do more of better classes instead

I'm interested to hear what the pit has to say, although I'm imagining I'll get similar responses, after all this is a guitar website full of guitarists.
It should be compulsory.

It's a way of teaching people how to get fit.
You say school should promote excercise outside of school, P.E is how they do it. I would have never been half as fit as I was if it wasn't for going to P.E and getting talked into joining the rugby team.

Fuck body issues. P.E is a platform for realising that everyone goes through the same things and it's nothing to be ashamed of.
Last edited by SG_dave at Sep 18, 2011,
PE builds character.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Yeah, it's my senior year and its optional after the first two years, but all the classes below me are going to start to have to do it for all 4 years, mandatory. I think it's stupid, that class is a joke.
Although PE in and of itself is not enough to get people into shape, it promotes the idea that they should do something on their own time to get into shape. Got body issues? Deal with it. And at my school, you wear whatever athletic clothes you want. Half a day? o.O It's just one period out of eight, two to three days a week at my school.

I don't mind PE. It's an easy A if you have a good attitude and run when they tell you to. Plus, it's a class that I don't have to think in, and it wakes me up when I'm sleepy.
Last edited by bloodtrocuted93 at Sep 18, 2011,
It should be compulsory and it should be reformed to address the issues you've just brought up. Kids these days aren't being taught at home how to stay fit and take proper care of themselves. If the schools don't do it, then who the hell will?
I definitely think that art and music are less important than PE any day of the week.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
I absolutely think it should be compulsory. It breeds meat-heads often, sure. But it was a great way to encourage and direct kids towards keeping in shape and good health. Our PE class was a mix of PE and Health, so I found it was very important for students to be active in both.

Quote by Doppelgänger
you sound like bill haverchuck

--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Quote by SG_dave
It should be compulsory.

It's a way of teaching people how to get fit.
You say school should promote excercise outside of school, P.E is how they do it. I would have never been half as fit as I was if it wasn't for going to P.E and getting talked into joining the rugby team.

Yeah, but if I didn't have PE, I could use the money that would have been for uniform and put it towards a new bike, which is much more fun, and you don't HAVE to wear those stupid outfits if you're just trying to get exercise. You'd be surprised how well you go when you cycle with a friend and just talk while riding.
Yeah, but if I didn't have PE, I could use the money that would have been for uniform and put it towards a new bike, which is much more fun, and you don't HAVE to wear those stupid outfits if you're just trying to get exercise. You'd be surprised how well you go when you cycle with a friend and just talk while riding.

and why would someone that does not get out that much want to buy a new bike. pe forces you to be healthy.
Internet trolls are like sap in trees. sticky and annoying, but good on pancakes.
All I did in that class last year was sit out. F*ck playing those crappy sports we do in there.
Who still needs to be "taught" how to keep fit by high school? PE by that age is a waste of time and resources.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
You're right, no one will get "fit" from PE.

But that is not the point of PE.
PE is meant to teach kids on how to live healthy, and that goes beyond school.

And besides, PE helps children vent their excess energy, making them concentrate better during class.
DeVillains!
1. We didn't wear short shorts in PE. Guess it's just your school.

2. That depends on whether the students have any motivation to do exercise.

3. PE was about 1hr and a half and the uniform cost me about 25$ for a shirt and shorts with the school logo. Again, just your school.

4. It's just your school.

5. You can say the same about any class a student doesn't like.
Body Issues I can understand. No 14 year old dude wants to have to deal with popping a boner in class in pe shorts while he's holding down a hot chicks feet for sit ups and staring right at her crotch.

Useless exercise plan. Well kinda. It's education. To inform people about how to exercise properly on their own time.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Who still needs to be "taught" how to keep fit by high school? PE by that age is a waste of time and resources.

According to the size of the overweight and obese population, lots. I've seen overweight kids thin down because of PE class. It actually does help if the student gets in the mindset of keeping in shape. This mindset would likely not have been inspired if it weren't for PE class.
A SIGNATURE.
sigh....

unless you are the kid who is to fat to be useful and gets picked last, or you are the one who thinks he is too cool for team activities and would rather sit in front of a comp all day then PE is awesome

it should be mandatory so we dont have a bunch of fat, socially inept people.

sports = awesomeness (even if its badminton)
None of the reasons you gave are even good arguments, to me you just come off as a lazy person, who rather be a nerd than get any kind of physical exercise. The reason it's mandatory is because Americans are lazy, and rather sit on the couch and watch TV and smoke pot, or play video games and work their fingers.

It also builds character, if it wasn't for PE, you wouldn't know how to play many different games, or learn any team work skills. PE is more than just making you work out 3 hours a day for no reason, but you're to ignorant to see that.
Optional.

Not everybody's an athlete, and it's the responsibility of your parents to teach you good health habits, as they're something that should be in place and understood long before you hit middle school.

Quote by ethan_hanus

It also builds character, if it wasn't for PE, you wouldn't know how to play many different games, or learn any team work skills. PE is more than just making you work out 3 hours a day for no reason, but you're to ignorant to see that.

Yeah you're right. You definitely don't play cooperative games at recess from the age of three on. There's no way you could learn to play different games or how to work/play with other people if you're not forced to do it while wearing purple shorts that are far too short

There are many ways to socially integrate yourself, learn from others, and pick up social queues that don't involve forced team sports, and there's rarely a single way to accomplish a goal, but you're too ignorant to see that.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Last edited by strat0blaster at Sep 18, 2011,
Quote by bloodtrocuted93
Although PE in and of itself is not enough to get people into shape, it promotes the idea that they should do something on their own time to get into shape. Got body issues? Deal with it. And at my school, you wear whatever athletic clothes you want. Half a day? o.O It's just one period out of eight, two to three days a week at my school.

I don't mind PE. It's an easy A if you have a good attitude and run when they tell you to. Plus, it's a class that I don't have to think in, and it wakes me up when I'm sleepy.

Lucky you. We have 3 1-hour classes a week, the shorts are ridiculous, and if you spend any more than 2 minutes in the changing rooms, the entire class runs a lap. Spend time getting your athsma meds? Whole class does a lap. Wear anything other than perfect PE unform? Whole class does a lap. They enforce PE uniform more than regular uniform.

Quote by rocker222

and why would someone that does not get out that much want to buy a new bike. pe forces you to be healthy.

I get out plenty. Also, it does no such thing, it just gets people angry because they're too serious when just playing a casual game in PE, and you always end up with a team consisting of 6-foot tall rugby players, versus everyone else.

And for the record, I'm of below-average weight.
Classes in health and how to keep fit should definitely be compulsory. However, I don't see that running around a field every once or twice a week needs to be compulsory.

There's no practical skill set (like leadership, or working in a team) that can't be learned in another in subject.

EDIT: To the guy saying about classes being punished for taking time or not having 100% perfect uniform, I feel your pain.

Also, as an asthma sufferer, I can think of at least 5 times where I was made to take part in activities when it was harmful to my health. The pick of the bunch is when our class was made to run a 800m and then a 1500m one after the other with little rest. Half way through my 1500m I ask if I can stop because I'm having difficulty breathing and feel as if I am going to collapse.

My teachers exact words were "If you don't carry on running you won't be in any more of my lessons this year".
Last edited by willT08 at Sep 18, 2011,
PE is very important.

Much more important than any other subject in school actually,
health>anything else
Quote by reidhasguitar
Lucky you. We have 3 1-hour classes a week, the shorts are ridiculous, and if you spend any more than 2 minutes in the changing rooms, the entire class runs a lap. Spend time getting your athsma meds? Whole class does a lap. Wear anything other than perfect PE unform? Whole class does a lap. They enforce PE uniform more than regular uniform.

Did you ever consider that not all school PE programs are like this?
A SIGNATURE.
Quote by ethan_hanus
None of the reasons you gave are even good arguments, to me you just come off as a lazy person, who rather be a nerd than get any kind of physical exercise. The reason it's mandatory is because Americans are lazy, and rather sit on the couch and watch TV and smoke pot, or play video games and work their fingers.

I never said it should be completely abolished and we all just learn computers or something, but I think it should be optional after primary school (which is where you learn all those games anyway, you just have more contact in high school).
I made everyone else look bad in PE. I killed in everything pertaining to running. To get an A you had to run under 6:15. I always ran around a 5:10 (I always had practice later in the day). A lot of people do find it embarrassing though. I mean, if i ran a 26 minute mile, id just quit
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
I'm doing a literary course for my baccalaureate and PE has a weighting of 2 as part of the finals. I've taken volleyball, Triple jump and circus. That means that potentially whether or not I get into university could be determined by how well I can juggle.

I think it's awesome because I play volleyball competently and my triple jump is currently around 10m. Free points the way I see it.

And do you know why I started exercising in my free time? So I wouldn't be so embarrassed when it came to school.
Quote by ethan_hanus

Aren't you right-wingers always going on about how the government shouldn't, for example, regulate junk foods in schools because it's the parents' responsibility to teach their children healthy habits?
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
All those reason are stupid. PE is great. Who doesn't like a good game of dodgeball?
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
when you get to GSCE unless you actually decided to take the subject all you do is play sports, you don't learn anything, it's pointless. i stay in shape very well outside of school, and it's just a slot in the timetable that could be taken up by another lesson
Quote by WCPhils
All those reason are stupid. PE is great. Who doesn't like a good game of dodgeball?

Dodgeball got bant here. :/
Quote by jakesmellspoo
Quote by 3OddOnes
when you get to GSCE unless you actually decided to take the subject all you do is play sports, you don't learn anything, it's pointless. i stay in shape very well outside of school, and it's just a slot in the timetable that could be taken up by another lesson

My point exactly.

I was taught how to throw a rugby ball perfectly by a friend, not during any PE class, we were just throwing it around, and he noticed I wasn't doing it right, so he showed me.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Dodgeball got bant here. :/

Yea, it was fun while it lasted though
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I think it should be optional.

People are saying it teaches kids to be healthy. That in some ways could be true, but not for everyone. In my gym classes, even the athletes don't even try or want to do it. They say run a mile? All everyone does is whine and complain.
Yes it should. I did it, so **** off.

Also, the same can be applied with math.

It's embarrassing

Some people aren't good at math. I'm going through puberty and im thinking about putting my thing in other girl's things and my brain just can't process math that well.

People have better things to be doing.

Like practicing my bass, writing music, or putting my thing inside of girl's things.

Waste of time and money.

I will never ever use linear equations in my life. If I had to add the amount of money I spent on pencils, erasers and paper, i'd be well off.

It promotes the smartass-ness in some people.

Seriously. Some are good at math, some aren't. The people who do in math belittle the people who aren't, and this makes me feel unwanted and inferior.
pinga
If anything, PE is just as relative as ones mothers environment during the second or third trimester of pregnancy.

If the mother gets stress, the kid will be prone to addictions, mental conditions and what not. For example, in case of famine, the kid will become extremely prone to obesity, diabetes, heart conditions, etc.

If PE class becomes stressful, you will (obviously) dislike it, and since PE class is forced, your development as an infant leads you to one of two choices.

1) You just ignore the downsides and the forcefulness. This requires a proper social-emotional development in your first two years of life.
2) You cannot ignore the downsides. You start to hate it, and because you are forced to do it, you start resenting or even hating everything/everyone that has anything to do with sports, and in the worst case the entire society. This happens when a proper social-emotional development during your infancy is missing.

So IMO, it should be an option. It should be encouraged, definately, but it should NEVER be forced.
Last edited by Lord_Doku at Sep 18, 2011,
PE should be mandatory

those who have weight issues (lets just refer to them as fatasses for convenience) will doubtfully exercise or put money into sports equipment. PE forces you to meet minimum requirements. Those two-three periods a week isnt a heapload of time that fatasses would spend better otherwise.

You say buying a bike, thats a great idea, but:

1. Like rocker said, if a person doesnt get out much/ place weher he lies has crappy weather etc. he wont get new bike.
2. Whole body training. Bike is only affecting your legs and heart. What about upper body? Bike wont replace those chin ups, push ups, crunches etc. that they make you do during PE. If you dont like certain exercises youre not gonna be doing them in your fre time. PE on the other hand forces you to do them to be more or less well rounded.

PE is a bare minimum, its not hard
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.