Do you think being a Communications major is as easy as they say it is?

I've heard from multiple sources that it's kind of a bullshit major that's very easy. I had one friend who used to be a communications major and said the exact same thing.

Also, I'm not asking because I'm looking for a new major or anything. I already have a major. Just curious as often times people really say presumptuous things about college majors, like Philosophy for instance.
i'm a communications major and what is this?

it's pretty easy though.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
What do people even study as Communications majors? Texting and talking on the phone? Advanced Skyping?
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I'm a marketing major and have to take a communication class. There is no exam but there are a lot of assignments. The textbook is mostly about how to write business documents, memos and stuff like that. Seems fun and easy compared to my other classes like finance and operations management.
Quote by ErikLensherr
What do you study as a Communications major? Texting and talking on the phone? Advanced Skyping?

pretty much. then we make films that tell people how to do it better.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
doesn't Comm deal with ethical issues and conflict resolution in the workplace? seems like it would be easy enough as long as you aren't a complete dick.
If you mean COMMS/Communicational studies, think of it as a basic version of Sociology with a bit of Humanistic and Social Psychology thrown in. It's very basic: the lecturers told me in a roundabout way that it is not very difficult, and is generally based on opinion rather than covering content.

I tried it. I asked the teacher about it half way through the lesson and what I was told basically said to me that I would find it piss easy and not very mentally stimulating. Also, we had to talk about ourselves in a group. Being SOCIAL. I can't do that shit. Transferred to a different subject.

If you are a very opinionated person, and want a laid back course where you discuss your feelings on a subject in depth, do it. If you like to have facts thrown at you and like a challenge... don't. I'm not knocking it, but if you aren't used to what I described, you will probably hate it.
Praise the Z-Dog, my DADDY ♂♂♂
Last edited by Banjocal at Sep 18, 2011,
Would that be like broadcasting and stuff?

Seems relatively easy, but I don't know shit about it.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by Godsmack_IV
doesn't Comm deal with ethical issues and conflict resolution in the workplace? seems like it would be easy enough as long as you aren't a complete dick.

Quote by kaptink
Oh weird, I always assumed it was like switchboards and stuff.

Quote by bradulator
Would that be like broadcasting and stuff?

Seems relatively easy, but I don't know shit about it.

there are many different branches of communications, so it could include any of those things. my specific field is more on the broadcasting side, so i do more like video, audio, radio, that sort of stuff.