hi everyone, bought a new guitar 2 weeks ago and it kept going out of tune, it played well in the shop but after about 30 minutes it just goes out of tune, i played it for about 20 minutes in the shop perhaps i should have played it a bit longer but it seemed all right so i bought it and took it home. i left it for a few days to get used to my flats tempreture and retuned it but it kept going out of tune, i then checked it over and found that it is impossible to adjust the truss rod, it will bow backwards but will only go so far to get neck relief and then the socket becomes to loose to adjust the neck, should i ask for a refund or swap it for another guitar, i like the shop i bought it from and the owner seems nice enough but it is so frustrating, do i have any legal rights to a refund or should i ask for a different guitar, it is a stagg r 500 electric based on a prs and it's really a nice guitar but the quality of parts leaves a lot to be desired, what are your thoughts.
take it back.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I don't know where you're from or what local legislation has to say about, but I think that in many places the law states that the store owner has to either take it back and give you full refund or then get it fixed.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
You really shouldn't need a thread about this. It's common sense - if you buy something from a shop which doesn't work properly, you take it back.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Why in the blue hell did you decide that a truss rod adjustment is what you need when your strings are going out of tune??

This is most likely a problem with either the strings themselves, or the machine heads at the headstock.

If you went to toy with the truss rod, I'd for certain take it back, good luck.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Quote by CrazyPigeon
It's a Stagg. It's not going to be a great guitar.

True - I've got their Marauder copy & it's my least favourite guitar although it's fairly solidly built for a cheap purchase.

It should work though, so he's well within his rights to take it back as his is obviously faulty.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
The Staggs I have dealt with all had cheap nylon cutting block nuts, 99 out of 100 time a problem like this is caused by the strings binding in the nut, slightly widening (not deepening) the channel will alleviate the problem, also a little graphite will help immensely.