So my guitar teacher has taught me two "scales".

He calls them the "minor" scale

Am scale:

----------------------------5--8----------------------------
-----------------------5--8---------------------------------
------------------5--7--------------------------------------
-------------5--7-------------------------------------------
--------5--7------------------------------------------------
--5--8------------------------------------------------------

And the "major scale"

C major:
---------------------------------8--10-------------------------
-------------------------8--10---------------------------------
---------------5--7--9-----------------------------------------
---------5--7--------------------------------------------------
----5--7-------------------------------------------------------
-8--------------------------------------------------------------

I thought that scales were supposed to span the entire fretboard? Are these watered down versions of the real scales? Where can i learn the "real" scales and which ones should i learn?

Thank you in advance to anyone who can give me some direction
If you want your scales to span across the fretboard, then you need to learn the scales in multiple octaves. Meaning that you map out the notes that he has taught you, and find the exzact same ones on other places of the fret board.

An easier way, would be to go to google and type in "A Minor 2 octave scale" or "A Minor 3 octave scale"

Same goes with C Major, and any other scale.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Technically those are the minor and major scales. They're pentatonic minor and pentatonic major. But both work well, they just take out a few of the notes from the true major and minor scales. The thing you need to do is learn the note names for each scale. Then you can take those note names to be able to find the scale anywhere on the fretboard.
first off those are the same exact scale notes,every major has a relative minor. C majors relative minor is A minor,and vice versa,a minor is c major.same shape and location,depending what notes you plan to play in that shape (mainly what notes you land on) is what defines if it sounds major or minor.....keep at it,this stuff will seem like a cake walk if you just keep trying,may take a while and alot of fustration,but its worth it in the end.
thanks for all the responses. Care to explain the relative minor in more detail? Also, where is a reliable source i can learn all these scales?
Did he just call them "minor" and "major"?
Like bosshog11 said, those are the pentatonic minor and major scales, meaning that they're each made up of five notes (played over multiple octaves). The real minor and major scales are a bit more complicated- they're made of seven notes (the pentatonic scale plus two more notes)- but they form the foundation for most modern music. So once you've got the pentatonic scales down, minor and major scales are your next step.
Just some nitpicking from me.
Oh, and if you need fingerings for those scales, it's all in the Lessons section. Scales are fairly important, so they've probably been covered more than once.
Last edited by Cavalcade at Sep 18, 2011,
thank you, vince. Which lessons in specific should i start with?
Last edited by jbongi14 at Sep 18, 2011,
Quote by jbongi14
thank you, vince. Which lessons should i start with?

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/scales/major_and_minor_scale_revisited.html

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/scales/the_boxes_and_how_they_fit_together.html

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/scales/scales_for_absolute_beginners.html

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/scales/definitive_scales.html

these are good to start with. just take your time and try to understand it bit by bit. (print out a fretboard diagram with all the notes on it if it helps) check out as many lessons as possible because everybody explains it how they see it so try and see it from as many perspectives as possible. this will help you understand it better.

when you know the basics and how to play scales all over the fretboard you can look into more difficult things like modes. apply all that theory to different scales to. i think the best to begin with are major,natural minor, harmonic minor and melodic minor. oh and the major pentatonic and minor pentatonic scale

don't rush trough the lessons, you can't learn scales properly in just a few months.

good luck man
Last edited by vince1991 at Sep 18, 2011,