Hey all,
Im in the process of designing an iso cab for my as-level engineering project.
I'm basing it on the Jet City iso12.

I have a question about ventilation.
I've searched nearly every forum on this.

Some people say that you don't need ventilation in the section where the mic will be placed and I've also read that you need at least two 1" holes to vent the speaker properly. Some people use a 2" fan.

Is there anyone out there who has built an iso cab with or without speaker ventilation.

I will be posting pictures of the project so stay tuned.
@jecox ssssoooo ssweeeet that whole set up is so sweet. If I had any distortion/delay setup it would be the akai headrush and BM. Awesome set up.

anyone?
@jecox ssssoooo ssweeeet that whole set up is so sweet. If I had any distortion/delay setup it would be the akai headrush and BM. Awesome set up.

Check out the Rivera Iso cab much better construction
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
my thought was that if you have any ventilation, you'd bleed sound out of it and therefore won't have the isolation anymore. i would say having ventilation or not will make it sound somewhat different in terms of sound being picked up, but also would ruin the isolation property. i'm not sure for fact tho.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
my thought was that if you have any ventilation, you'd bleed sound out of it and therefore won't have the isolation anymore. i would say having ventilation or not will make it sound somewhat different in terms of sound being picked up, but also would ruin the isolation property. i'm not sure for fact tho.

Yeh thats exactly what i thought

I think they are reffering to the baffle, not the exterior of the cab. This will alow the speaker to move freely intsead of creating alot of pressure wher the mic is. Hope that made sense
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Speakers don't really need ventilation to cool them, they mainly need it to keep a equilibrium between the air pressure inside the cab, and outside the cab, since the speaker is moving pretty good, it's creating a pressure inside the cab if it's sealed, thus causing things to move, which can cause rattle, or other things.

It also helps add some low end to the cab, since it can force air around even better. I've never seen any well respected cab maker put a fan inside the cab, and alot don't even have vent holes, my B-52 sure don't, and it's a 480 watt cab.

Wait....iso cab? You mean isolation cab?
oh, he's talking about the ports on the baffle. they could be used to "tune" the cab in a closed back cab. i think if you don't have enough space in the cab you're building, or the speaker would "suffocate" in a sense.

^iso cab = isolation cab in this case yes.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard