All my guitars have passive pickups except for one. It's an Ibanez, and it's pretty nice. The only thing, is it came with Ibanez active pickups. Now, I'm new to active pickups, so I don't know the specs, but I'm pretty sure the pickups are "eh", because the sound isn't all that good, and alot of noise gets through. I'm wondering if upgrading to seymour duncan blackouts will be that huge of an improvement, or If the improvement is subtle at best? I mean, it'll cost almost 200 bucks, and I don't have much to spend, so it's not like I don't care about money, if it's not that big a difference, I won't switch for now. If it is a huge difference, I'll prob upgrade.
Give me your thoughts on this, anything will help!
Thanks
usually the pick ups on ibanez guitar(cept for the high end jap made ones) are quite meh switching them out usualy helps

which guitar and which pups are in there?
Pickups are LZ1-B
Guitar is Art 320. Just a fan of the ART series myself. Prefer em over les paul's for some reason
Blackouts are high gain pickups, they're often used in high gain metal bands, look at the clip on the sd website. if you want more of a clean sound, look at the livewire classic, i'm thinking of having one of each in my ibanez for a balanced tone

the blackout will be very different, i.e distorted even on clean most of the time, i'm told they can get a clean tone if you turn your volume down or something
Quote by ErikLensherr
It's threads like this that separate grammar Nazis from only mildly anti-Semitic grammar conservatives.
The reason I picked em, was that this specific guitar I'm putting the pickups in, I got exclusively for harder Metal. The rest of my other guitars are for more classical rock/metal. The reason I chose em over emgs, was because I have heard from multiple people that the blackouts work well for a lot other types of music then metal, unlike emgs. But ultimately, I want a metal pickup, that works amazing.
Quote by sonicx2218
The reason I picked em, was that this specific guitar I'm putting the pickups in, I got exclusively for harder Metal. The rest of my other guitars are for more classical rock/metal. The reason I chose em over emgs, was because I have heard from multiple people that the blackouts work well for a lot other types of music then metal, unlike emgs. But ultimately, I want a metal pickup, that works amazing.

EMG's work very well for things other than metal. The only real difference between them and Blackouts are that the Blackouts are louder.