Poll: How do you feel about trems?
Poll Options
View poll results: How do you feel about trems?
I can't live without one on my guitar
17 26%
With or without, doesn't matter to me (i don't even use it that much)
23 35%
Nah for me. I don't need one of those to be legit.
26 39%
Voters: 66.
Page 1 of 2
So I'm deciding on getting a new guitar, and i've never owned one with a trem. I love playing stuff like joe satriani and neo classical stuff, but I don't have a trem on my guitar. Am I missing out? I hear they are more of a hassle than they are worth, but the same time, you can't get those sounds without one.....

So the question

How do you feel about trems?
A decent vibrato is a pleasure to play. If you buy a guitar with a poorly designed vibrato, it will drive you mad. A good vibrato will stay in tune after playing that dive bomb.
Personally I never use them, but if you think you will, go for it. Especially if you're buying an extra guitar rather than replacing one - then you can choose whther to play the one with or without as you'll have both options available to you.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
The vote options are lacking

I like my trems, but can definitely cope without one. I've hardtailed one of my guitars and it was a good decision. I have a Ibanez with ZR2 and it's great. I use it sometimes.

It's not really a pain in the ass unless you want to change tunings (although Drop D can be easily doable). Changing strings is not hard.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Last edited by Flibo at Sep 18, 2011,
Regarding floating tremolos...

Floating tremolo's are a pain to setup if you do not know what you are doing. I actually had fun learning how it works but it could be a huge frustration if you simply "want to play" the guitar and have no interest in fiddling with it. I'm already at a point where I can confidently dismantle the entire bridge assembly (did it it once to install a brass sustain block) and pretty much bring it back. It will take some time and some research to learn the ins and outs and it is an additional thing you have to learn in order to maintain , upgrade or modify your guitar setup.

On thing to also know when you are getting a guitar with a floating tremolo is that you cannot simply change the tuning of the guitar (ex. D or Eb tuning) without going through a set of tweaks. Same goes for changing the strings of the guitar with a different string gauge. You can't simply slap on a new set of string with a different gauge without tweaking it. Tuning it will also take getting used and sometimes can be a major frustration if you do not understand how it works.
I don't like tremolos, but it's just me. Why don't you try a guitar with a tremolo before buying?
If you go for a trem, just remember that you will get exactly what you pay for. I use mine quite a lot. I feel a bit odd on guitars without them, to be honest, but even I'd take a hardtail over a trem if it's a guitar under about the $700 range.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
If you go for a trem, just remember that you will get exactly what you pay for. I use mine quite a lot. I feel a bit odd on guitars without them, to be honest, but even I'd take a hardtail over a trem if it's a guitar under about the $700 range.

Lots of sub-$700 Ibanez S series guitars that have excellent trems. And I'd imagine there are more out there. But yeah, cheap ones will be more of a hassle to deal with!

You can also find all kinds of mid 90s Ibanez 540 sabers for under $600. Drop dead awesome guitars with VERY good trems.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
Lots of sub-$700 Ibanez S series guitars that have excellent trems. And I'd imagine there are more out there. But yeah, cheap ones will be more of a hassle to deal with!

You can also find all kinds of mid 90s Ibanez 540 sabers for under $600. Drop dead awesome guitars with VERY good trems.

Considering the subject of half the threads in this forum, I'd be inclined to disagree. I have, however, never owned an Ibanez.
As long as we're on topic...

Should TC (and myself =P) opt for a hardtail, is there a way to reproduce with decent accuracy the effects gotten from a whammy bar? The Digitech Whammy maybe? Any other pedals?

Thanks!
Depends on what the trem and what the hardtail are. If the trem is a cheap throw away LFR, and the hardtail is a Tune-O-Matic, I don't want to play either.
Quote by Rainmaker31
As long as we're on topic...

Should TC (and myself =P) opt for a hardtail, is there a way to reproduce with decent accuracy the effects gotten from a whammy bar? The Digitech Whammy maybe? Any other pedals?

Thanks!

Can't speak for all other units, but my Boss ME50 can be used for pitch bending (+ or - 1 octave) which would effectively replicate a whammy, but I suspect getting it right may take some work.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I played a gig last night were my friend relied heavily on his tremolo, and on the final note of the last song of the set, he pushed the bar down, and it snapped. needless to say, the crowd went nuts. Now he is freaking out that he has part of a tremolo bar stuck in his FR haha (a bit off topic, this just reminded me of this)
Hell Yea Im Straight Edge!
ESP Eclipse II (or) Fender Strat w/David Gilmour EMGs > Cry Baby Original > Digitech RP250 > JOYO Ultimate Overdrive > MXR BLS Chorus > MXR Phase 90 > EHX Memory Toy > 1981 Marshall JCM800
IMO no pedal will accurately mimic the use of a vibrato bar. as far as I know the digitech whammy can only go up or down a specified amount at a time, and while there is still a change in pitch between heel-down and toe-down positions I think it would be very difficult to recreate the subtleties of having a bar in your hand.

tl;dr you want trem, I give you trem. 1 dolla. no pedal will do. good trem. yes yes.
Honk
Quote by therosa69
I played a gig last night were my friend relied heavily on his tremolo, and on the final note of the last song of the set, he pushed the bar down, and it snapped. needless to say, the crowd went nuts. Now he is freaking out that he has part of a tremolo bar stuck in his FR haha (a bit off topic, this just reminded me of this)

If that ever happened to me I would act like this How the Hell is he gonna fix that???
I use my trem a lot but I mostly play 80s rock/metal. If you were playing swing or jazz or rockabilly or something, I don't see much opportunity for trem use(no doubt it's there but I doubt the Cherry Poppin' Daddies use a trem as much as Eddie Van Halen or Jason Becker, per se), but I always like to have a trem there. For neoclassical? I think a trem's great, not a NECESSITY but Jason Becker and Malmsteen both used trems
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Quote by JustRooster
Considering the subject of half the threads in this forum, I'd be inclined to disagree. I have, however, never owned an Ibanez.

The cheapest S (the 420) is coming with the same bridge that the prestige S's came with back in 2007. It is a very stable bridge. And the guitar will be under $400. For feel, I still prefer knife edge style bridges over the bearings in the ZR.

Obviously you still have to deal with more work for quick tuning changes compared to a hardtail. Which is why I have a RGA121 prestige coming in this week!
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
The cheapest S (the 420) is coming with the same bridge that the prestige S's came with back in 2007. It is a very stable bridge. And the guitar will be under $400. For feel, I still prefer knife edge style bridges over the bearings in the ZR.

Obviously you still have to deal with more work for quick tuning changes compared to a hardtail. Which is why I have a RGA121 prestige coming in this week!

The S420 is about $470 for the black finish and $500 for the red one.
Just went by the price for new on ebay. You're right, it looks like the going price is around $500 at stores.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
The people who say the trems are a hassle either bought a cheap one (which are usually rubbish) or don't know how to set it up properly. Having owned a few guitars with trems, i only came across problems when i was new to them and didn't understand how to set it up. After reading up a bit i fixed my problem. Just get a decent trem and you'll be fine. Also non-recessed trems are easier to use than recessed trems.
Quote by RockGuitarist09
The people who say the trems are a hassle either bought a cheap one (which are usually rubbish) or don't know how to set it up properly. Having owned a few guitars with trems, i only came across problems when i was new to them and didn't understand how to set it up. After reading up a bit i fixed my problem. Just get a decent trem and you'll be fine. Also non-recessed trems are easier to use than recessed trems.

How?
my next guitar will be around 1500 to 3000 dollar range so if it did have a trem, it'd be a good one

and i've used trems before, but never had to deal with the problems of them

I am thinking either prs tremonti in faded blue
ibanez rg or sv or rga prestige (don't know what model yet)

looked at halo hedras ramos signature
fender strat's (standard and John Mayer sigs including the black one)
charvel's so cal
jackson soloist SL2
ESPs and edwards
schecters
and other's
Unless you plan on playing like Steve Vai, you're probably not missing out.

For me, they're more hassle than they're worth.
Quote by Butt Rayge

I plan on playing Metallica, Iron Maiden, Kamelot, Nightwish...How useful/necessary is a trem for me?
Quote by Rainmaker31
I plan on playing Metallica, Iron Maiden, Kamelot, Nightwish...How useful/necessary is a trem for me?

It depends how accurately you want to reproduce their sounds, and how much you think you might use it in your own songs. Personally, I learn solos and songs for fun and to improve my technique, as opposed to reproducing a song note for note.

I could give you a list of reasons not to get one, and somebody else could give you a list of reasons you should get one but in the end neither list is better or more correct. After weighing up the pros and cons you still have to go with what you think you'll enjoy more.
For me a guitar without a trem is like trying to feck without using my dick.
Quote by Butt Rayge
I could give you a list of reasons not to get one, and somebody else could give you a list of reasons you should get one but in the end neither list is better or more correct. After weighing up the pros and cons you still have to go with what you think you'll enjoy more.

This response is true for 1,000s of the threads in these forums....
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I'd like to have a guitar with a trem in my arsenal if possible, more headroom for lead licks are always encouraging.
Twitter
Soundcloud

ESP LTD EC-500
Krank Krankenstein
Krank Krankenstein 4x12 Cabinet
Alesis M-EQ 230
Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer
Jim Dunlop Cry Baby GC95
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
i have a few with and a few without. i am not super big into using it but i like having it when i do. I only have the bigsby style so i can't really speak to any of the FR issues that i hear about. i like having it but it isn't a deal breaker if it doesn't have one.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by GaryBillington
This response is true for 1,000s of the threads in these forums....

Yeah, that's true. It should go without saying, but some users on here assert their opinions as if they were facts. It can be confusing when you're a beginner.

A guitar can be objectively shit, as in really poor quality, etc, and a guitar can be really well made, but still 'shit' just because you don't like it.
Quote by Butt Rayge

I don't, and I use mine constantly.
I don't see what everyone has against floating trems. It's one thing if that's the only guitar you have, but as for me, I'm pretty much addicted to Floyd Roses and just love screwing around with them. You almost never have to tune them, and being able to pull up on it to me is a necessity, not a luxury. I don't support having a floating bridge on every guitar you own, but if the music you play uses them often, you should have at least one guitar with a floating bridge.
Quote by xShade
How?

If you change all strings at once (remove them all the replace all, instead of removing one string then restringing) it messes with the tension and the trem falls back into the recess, non-recessed are easier, because they dont do this as much if at all. Also non-recessed trems don't go out of tune as badly if you break a string.
Not a hassle, but I've never really needed a trem. Out of all the guitars I've owned only one had a trem, and I hardly ever used it. Right now I only have a hardtail and I'm not missing it at all.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Quote by Butt Rayge
It depends how accurately you want to reproduce their sounds, and how much you think you might use it in your own songs. Personally, I learn solos and songs for fun and to improve my technique, as opposed to reproducing a song note for note.

I actually would like to reproduce somewhat accurately my favorite songs. How extensive is tremolo use in bands like Metallica, Iron Maiden, Kamelot and Nightwish?
Whenever I used the trem on my strat, the strings went out of tune and they broke sooner, so I don't want one.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
I say always go trem, if it's good, it's good, if it's not, you can block it, youe essentially get both in one.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by xShade
If that ever happened to me I would act like this How the Hell is he gonna fix that???

They had to drill the peice out, but he is thinking of selling it hahaha
Hell Yea Im Straight Edge!
ESP Eclipse II (or) Fender Strat w/David Gilmour EMGs > Cry Baby Original > Digitech RP250 > JOYO Ultimate Overdrive > MXR BLS Chorus > MXR Phase 90 > EHX Memory Toy > 1981 Marshall JCM800
I had my trem bust like that on my guitar I was playing dimebag sqeuals and flutters an I tightened the bar to much and gave it a good whack and boy did it sing (flutter) but then when I went to drop it the bar and my hand went flying of the guitar and I was like "Oh my god I broke my term I'm gonna die now I broke it!!" I literally almost started crying but the moral is don't use fender style trems for that kind o metal tremoloing and don't buy cheap replacement trem bars they suck
Quote by goldleadr
They don't know what there talking about! Let's put it this way right you suck

Yes I just quoted myself...
i probably own around 15-20 electrics and probably only two to three have trems. ibanez Edge Zero on the 3550MG, liscensed floyd on the wolfgang (which is as solid as a tank, the baseplate of the trem is shy of 1/4" thick... lol. i use a trem sometimes. but not that much. i am searching for another trem guitar myself. but i dont really know.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Page 1 of 2