I guess it's possible to play the bass with a normal guitar amp. But if that's true, how is the difference?
Possible? Sure.

Damaging? Yup. If you keep playing a guitar amp with a bass (assuming you're talking about a combo amp), you eventually degrade the speaker even if you play at low volumes causing you to blow the speaker out.

If you mean amp head, it'll give you a different sound that won't be as bassy (duh) and depending on what type of music you like, you may or may not like the sound. If you're playing with a guitar head, you should only use a bass cabinet with it.
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
Possible? Sure.

Damaging? Yup. If you keep playing a guitar amp with a bass (assuming you're talking about a combo amp), you eventually degrade the speaker even if you play at low volumes causing you to blow the speaker out.

If you mean amp head, it'll give you a different sound that won't be as bassy (duh) and depending on what type of music you like, you may or may not like the sound. If you're playing with a guitar head, you should only use a bass cabinet with it.

Thanx. That was all I needed to know.
Generally its a bad idea, but it will work just fine the other way around. Some people just buy an expensive bass rig because you can get a pretty decent tone on guitar with one, but it doesn't work vice-versa.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
A bass could possibly damage a guitar amp head even if you used a bass cabinet. The power supply on guitar amplifiers are designed to handle the transient response of guitars rather than basses.
off topic, but what about a guitar and a bass amp? And I know from expierience. the bass will kill the guitar amp, I mean destroy it
Please call me Rainer, was 16 and empty minded when I made my profile.

Sometimes I talk to myself too...but never on the internet.
Read Joe.
Quote by Vypor
Generally its a bad idea, but it will work just fine the other way around. Some people just buy an expensive bass rig because you can get a pretty decent tone on guitar with one, but it doesn't work vice-versa.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Quote by Fingerboy18
A bass could possibly damage a guitar amp head even if you used a bass cabinet. The power supply on guitar amplifiers are designed to handle the transient response of guitars rather than basses.

No it wont.
pinga