I'm not really an expert in the technical aspects of guitar so I figured to ask here since there are a lot of knowledgeable people here.

So, basically I've been very much into Periphery lately and I've tuned my Fender Strat to Drop Ab with gauge .11 strings which just screams blasphemy. I can play some songs with it but it's just a bit too spaghetti to me.

The problem is, my strat is obviously 6 strings while Periphery plays in Drop Ab with 7 string guitars (I think). I'm okay with not having the thinnest string. I can do leads with my other guitar. My main concern is that whether very high gauge strings will fit my strat's nut (Similar nut: http://www.fenderstrat.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/fender-stratocaster-539492005141725421.jpg ).

I'm used to playing .11 gauge in E standard, so I'd like my strings to be kind of tense. I've thought of going for 13-60-ish, but does anyone have an idea of how thick strings will fit my nut? I don't think filing the nut will be an option since I will probably want to go back to .11s eventually. And no, I'm not going to get a seven string guitar for financial reasons.

This has probably been asked several times before, but I'm not sure if anyone has tried this with a strat.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
.060s in my Les Paul barely fit, so you may or may not have to file the nut down considering you're using a strat for drop Ab.

And if you want tension on the strings for drop Ab, you'd probably even want to go up to like .013 or .014s thru .070s.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Last edited by GibsonMan321 at Sep 18, 2011,
Quote by GibsonMan321
.060s in my Les Paul barely fit, so you may or may not have to file the nut down considering you're using a strat for drop Ab.

.060s already sound promising compared to my .049s.
Quote by GibsonMan321
And if you want tension on the strings for drop Ab, you'd probably even want to go up to like .013 or .014s thru .070s.

I guess you're right. I got my hopes a bit too high regarding that tension. I think I'm going to settle for some .060ish set. A lot of thanks for your input

By the way, I've never really fiddled around with different kinds of strings. Does it make a big difference whether the strings are flatwound, chromes, roundwound or anything? I've always only used the regular D'addario and Ernie Ball string sets. Keep in mind I'm only going to play djent stuff with these strings.
I would try Cleartones, I had success for (horrifically) dropped tunings...I got a set of 13's and the were great...

Their expensive though..$15> a set.
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
I play 10's in standard and a 60 for a low B doesn't even cut it for me. I'm using a .72 for the lowest string in Drop Ab and it still goes a bit sharp upon attack. At the same time, I pick really hard. I used to have a 68 and needed to go up to Drop A because it was going way sharp in Ab. I wouldn't go any lower than a 70 man. It sounds crazy I know, but when you go that low you need to compensate alot more than if you were to go in say, drop C. This is my findings anyway.
I play E standard with 11's. Ab must be like playing jelly. Actually surprising it's audible at all.

You probably want at least 12's or 13's for that.

I'll always think it silly to tune a strat so low though.
Quote by n1ckn1ce
.... buy a 6 string bass?

I'd say rock a 13(14)-62
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss