I traded for blue fender sonoran at a local guitar shop recently. Magnificent guiatr btw. Anyways, when i replaced the strings the D strings devolped really bad fret buzz when played open. this is my first decent acoustic, is this a truss rod problem?r something with the nut/bridge. or could it be the gauge od strings? i used the normal d'addario bronze acoustic ones.
i'd check the action before the nut. also did you change string gauge when you changed strings? that could do it - different gauges of strings have different tensions, and can require a truss rod tweak or even a change of action.

btw, there's only 1 d string - the third from lowest. is that the string that's buzzing?
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Last edited by patticake at Sep 18, 2011,
Quote by patticake
i'd check the action before the nut. also did you change string gauge when you changed strings? that could do it - different gauges of strings have different tensions, and can require a truss rod tweak or even a change of action.

btw, there's only 1 d string - the third from lowest. is that the string that's buzzing?

yeah d string typo in. ment to say string.
Let me know how you get on as i have the same issue. It was fine then developed the buzz over time.
You need to check the relief on the neck. I have a Sonoran, and it developed a very slight back bend in the neck, which required a very slight adjustment of the truss rod. (About 1/4 turn looser or counterclockwise). The necks on these guitars are quite thin, and may respond to changes in temperature and/or humidity, more so than the more typical chunky mahogany neck on many acoustics.

This not meant to say the other suggestions are wrong, just to suggest an additional possibility.

Personally, I'd truck this down to the shop where you bought it, and let them check it out. I'm sure they'd give it a quick once over and point you toward the right solution.

FWIW, my Sonoran developed its buzz when it was fairly new. The guitar came properly setup. But, over a couple of months developed the back bend. I adjusted it, and haven't had any trouble since.

You can go here: http://thbecker.net/guitar_playing/guitars_and_setup/setup_page_01.html to learn every thing you've ever wanted to know about setting up an acoustic, and a few more that are too much trouble to bother with! Setting the neck "relief", is on page 5.

Sorry, but I gotta ask but, you did put the white plastic saddle back in, didn't you?
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 20, 2014,
Along with what everyone else has said, it seems like if the string is buzzing when played open it would be a problem at the nut end or a high spot on the first fret. Are you sure there was no buzz before you changed strings? If so you might want to double check that the ball end is seated in the bridge pin correctly. It could very well just be a neck relief issue, especially if you used different gage strings. If you can't figure it out, I agree with crank. Take it back to the shop and they will help you and I doubt any decent shop would charge you anything if you just bought the guitar.
I agree with crank and rohash, this is either a low nut slot or high fret near the nut, or loose fret...

Take it back and have them check it out.

Also agree with crank's other comment, any acoustic with a thin neck can have problems, especially this time of year when humidity usually increases in most places and temperatures drop. Either way, have them check it out.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...