So for the geeky among us (I know you're there!) you can now get an activation free dev version of Windows 8, completely free

I'm downloading both versions (for laptop and desktop) and I do recommend to anyone who tries to install it to do so on a separate partition to save breaking your computer lol.

I'll post what I think of it when it's finished downloading though everyone else should do the same because your internet's probably much faster than mine.

I'm not sure if it's advertising but here's a link.

Edit - If anyone also manages to hombrew this on to a tab, let us know how it works!

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
THIS WAS MEANT TO BE A PIG
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
Last edited by EMGs_rule at Sep 18, 2011,
Quote by genghisgandhi
The new BSoD is great.

Indeed it is.
GEAR:
Fender MIM HSS Strat
VOX AD30VT
FUNDS: $600
Tried it in a VM, and it doesn't work for whatever reason. I'm suspecting it's because they used video acceleration for everything, and my emulator's drivers aren't up to the task. Looks kinda nice though, a guy brought it in on his laptop in my programming class, and it's an improvment from W7.

And the new BSoD is hilarious.
can my games still work on W8??
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Since I aint a geek with computer programming and thus dont want too harm my PC by downloading stuff I don't knwo about.....whats the difference between W8 + W7?
If you're not very strong with computer troubleshooting I wouldn't recommend doing this. I'm too lazy to try it, though.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
can my games still work on W8??

Probably, but keep in mind this is a developer preview, and as such, is filled with bugs, so don't rely on it for any type of stability if you decide to install it.

Quote by rockdude375
Since I aint a geek with computer programming and thus dont want too harm my PC by downloading stuff I don't knwo about.....whats the difference between W8 + W7?

W8, pretty much, they just added a touch interface for tablet users, made a couple nice tweaks here and there, lots on lots of video acceleration, etc. I want to see if they fixed a couple DoS bugs they've known about for a while.

And yeah, don't install it to a physical computer if you don't know what you're doing, wait for the stable version.
Last edited by SlayingDragons at Sep 18, 2011,
I wonder if Microsoft finally made an OS I'd switch XP for.

probably not.
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
Dat BSoD

I don't know if I care enough to check this out... but I'm certainly bored enough. Let's give er a spin.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

More like Blue Screen of Awwwwww :3

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by SteveHouse
Dat BSoD

I don't know if I care enough to check this out... but I'm certainly bored enough. Let's give er a spin.

Completely this. Now I'm on holidays, I might just try it
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by Xiaoxi
More like Blue Screen of Awwwwww :3

Hahaha, and they had to make it politically correct. The real blue screen of death is way to harsh and upsets people of less understanding, all the numbers and letters and the sudden shut down offends some people.
I like how the primary feature of Windows 8 is its ability to run as a tablet OS within a Windows shell, but the developer preview doesn't support ARM architecture yet

Without it it's basically Windows 7 with a togglable Metro UI.
Quote by Seref
I like how the primary feature of Windows 8 is its ability to run as a tablet OS within a Windows shell, but the developer preview doesn't support ARM architecture yet

Without it it's basically Windows 7 with a togglable Metro UI.

I know, right?

The only thing is though, every windows program ever has been made for an x86 architecture. I know they're planning to port windows to ARM, but there would be virtually no software for it, right? I mean all the windows office stuff would be availible most likely, but since nearly all software for windows is closed-source, unless the companies themselves port their software, it won't have a large selection of software. (Which is a big deal considering that windows always boasts about their compatibility.)
^So right now W8 can only be fully used by those HP PCs with touch screens right?

Also I read that the Metro UI isn't compatible with Flash, is that true?
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
Quote by Ostinattos
Also I read that the Metro UI isn't compatible with Flash, is that true?

Not so much Metro UI, but the Metro browser. Supports no plugins whatsoever--no Flash, no Silverlight. Just like Windows Phone 7 and iOS. Welcome to the more limited future

They will be supported in desktop mode on the browser of your choosing.

Quote by SlayingDragons
I know, right?

The only thing is though, every windows program ever has been made for an x86 architecture. I know they're planning to port windows to ARM, but there would be virtually no software for it, right? I mean all the windows office stuff would be availible most likely, but since nearly all software for windows is closed-source, unless the companies themselves port their software, it won't have a large selection of software. (Which is a big deal considering that windows always boasts about their compatibility.)

On ARM tablets, you are correct. Current x86 programs won't function. At their press event a while ago they showed that some of the MS legacy applications like Office will be able to run on ARM. I imagine that while in desktop mode it might be possible to emulate an x86 environment (hell, they're trying to emulate a PowerPC environment to play xbox games, so why not).

But the "big deal" about Windows 8 is that it's supposed to consolidate the gap between their desktop/notebook offerings and their tablet/netbook offerings. So Windows 8 running on an x86 system should support all you would expect it to.

It make sense to a degree, if you're using Windows 8 an ARM device it is presumed that you won't be using legacy applications and that you will be using lightweight apps, and if you're using Windows 8 on an x86 machine then you are more likely to use it as you would any PC.
Last edited by Seref at Sep 18, 2011,
I'm using the 64-bit version on my desktop just now, and I think it's awesome!

It is buggy as hell, but it gives a good idea of what the final result will be like, I look forward to it

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
THIS WAS MEANT TO BE A PIG
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
I installed it last night, can't say i'm very impressed. It works identically to 7, except the Start button brings up the new touch screen GUI, and I can't turn it off (at least not without some trickery anyway).

What's worse, the boot loader that came with it overwrote GRUB, so now I can't get to my Linux Mint install, and (of course) it doesn't list Mint in the boot loader, so I have to re-install GRUB to get to it again. -_-
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....