Hey all, hope everyone is rocking out and having fun . I play with a band and most of the gigs we do is small little shows at school, we do the odd party or two. I'm wondering if it's necessary to bring along all my pedals? I have an apple computer with GarageBand. I can get decent effects and tone (I primarily use delay, wahwah, octaver, stuff like that.) does anyone have any experience with this? I'm getting a technically inclined friend to create a kind of control system for me so I don't have to walk over to the laptop. Would this be cheating? Staying true to music and guitar Playing is really important to me. So far I've just used GarageBand for fooling around in my basement. Does anyone have experience with playing larger venues with this? Thanks! Keep rocking
No, it wouldn't be 'cheating', but it would be pretty expensive for you to do what you're proposing.

You'd need an interface with midi in/out, and you'd need to get a midi footswitch of some sort, as well as software that would support what you're trying to do, not to mention downloading all the proper VST effects that actually sound good enough.

At the end of the day, for how much you've spent, you could've just gotten something like a TC Electronic G System or a G Major which will have far better quality, and be more usable in a live setting, than GarageBand.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I'm sure Stephen Carpenter from Deftones runs all his effects through the exact same setup as you have now. It's not cheating.
Quote by Raijouta
No, it wouldn't be 'cheating', but it would be pretty expensive for you to do what you're proposing.

You'd need an interface with midi in/out, and you'd need to get a midi footswitch of some sort, as well as software that would support what you're trying to do, not to mention downloading all the proper VST effects that actually sound good enough.

At the end of the day, for how much you've spent, you could've just gotten something like a TC Electronic G System or a G Major which will have far better quality, and be more usable in a live setting, than GarageBand.

I see, thanks for the insight! I'll have to reconsider. I'll probably just save up some money and get one of the systems you told me about.
I wouldn't say it's cheating, just a different way of getting a sound. It would be a rather expensive idea though.

If you already have all the effects that you want in pedal form or on your amp, just set up your pedalboard the way you want it and leave it like that. I have all my pedals velcroed to my board, so when I get to a gig or rehearsal, I just put it down where I want it, plug in all the cables, the one power source, and it's ready to go.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Also, a tip: There is no such thing as 'cheating' in music. Do whatever you have to do to get YOUR sound and don't let anybody tell you different.*

Unless it's a Marshall MG or a Fender Frontman or a Line 6 Spider. DON'T get your sound through those.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by reversegenesis
I'm sure Stephen Carpenter from Deftones runs all his effects through the exact same setup as you have now. It's not cheating.

He uses an axe fx. Thats fairly recent though, so I dont know what he used before that.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra