I'm trying to learn this solo from the song Weekend by X Japan and what I'm having a lot of trouble with is the part from 0:05 - 0:08 where he is like playing low to high really fast. What I don't understand is that it there are about 11-12 notes in each one yet his hand is hardly moving. It's as if he is striking the string once and is getting 2-3 notes out of it.

Here is the video, if anyone can please give me some pointers I'd be so grateful! thanks! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h0XZ02MYzU
Are you asking for tabs or something?
It seems as if he is just hammering on with his four fingers, similar to eight finger tapping, but without the tapping of course.
No I have the tab for guitar pro so I can see the exact notes for those few seconds and I can play them slowed down but when I try to speed up to that it's just a mess because I'm trying to pick every note but when watching him, it's like he picks once per string and gets out 2-3 notes per string. I'm very much an amateur so how would I learn to do that technique you described?
No way dude, you've totally got it. Just keep practicing, he is just picking once, maybe twice. Just pick your strings once or twice and hammer on to the next notes, you'll get it eventually, just like more complex tapping, when you first toy around with it, your hammer on's maybe be pretty quiet, but he's obviously been doing this awhile haha. Just do exactly what yous aid it seems like he's doing, because that is what he's doing! Play around with chromatic hammer ons, that seems like a really good way to practice these things.
Try doing this for practice on this technique:
|-----------------------------------------------------------------5678-6789
|----------------------------------------------------5678-6789-------------
|---------------------------------------5678-6789--------------------------
|--------------------------5678-6789---------------------------------------
|-------------5678-6789----------------------------------------------------
|5678-6789-----------------------------------------------------------------

Try picking each string twice, this seems like a way to practice what he is doing here!
Quote by Feudalism
No I have the tab for guitar pro so I can see the exact notes for those few seconds and I can play them slowed down but when I try to speed up to that it's just a mess because I'm trying to pick every note but when watching him, it's like he picks once per string and gets out 2-3 notes per string. I'm very much an amateur so how would I learn to do that technique you described?

You can gradually increase the speed with guitar pro. That way you can build your technique.

What he's doing is a rapid series of hammer ons. Nothing difficult technically, but it's pretty fast, so you'll have to build muscle memory. The only way to do that is to practice until you can play the passage cleanly without even thinking about it at a low tempo, then gradually increasing the tempo to the original speed.
Really appreciate the help and support! It's nice to not be criticized for trying something that is out of your league. I'm working on it!
I don't mean to sound like a douche but I don't think you should be attempting something like this if you don't know what a hammer on is. Sorry to go against what you just said.
(For the record, I don't really think the guy in the video is quite up to the job!)

You need to walk before you can run. Learn the basics, such as economy of motion, hammer ons, pull offs, etc at a slow speed and when you've got them down perfectly, then you can think about speeding up.
Originally posted by raygreendaystud
your a fag, listen to real music like green day, you moron
Quote by shredfan
I don't mean to sound like a douche but I don't think you should be attempting something like this if you don't know what a hammer on is. Sorry to go against what you just said.
(For the record, I don't really think the guy in the video is quite up to the job!)

You need to walk before you can run. Learn the basics, such as economy of motion, hammer ons, pull offs, etc at a slow speed and when you've got them down perfectly, then you can think about speeding up.

I know what hammer ons and pull offs are it's just my first time attempting to play something like parts in this solo.
Well good news is I've improved somewhat and have learned what I asked a few days ago. Now I'm in need of help again with a harder part of this solo...I'll post this video for more variation...i'm trying to learn the part between 10-13 seconds. I've got the tab for it but I just can't get it down due to the speed. I find I'm hitting notes twice or nearly three times because I'm picking too fast...what picking style is he using? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfld2lyY7Vc&feature=related
It would appear that he's just alternate picking. If you're hitting the note too many times, you don't have control over you're picking, which means you're trying to take the passage too fast. I imagine you're probably spazzing out your forearm to get that kind of speed, which means you lose any semblance of control over your playing. Slow down and let muscle memory form.
Alright, so you would suggest me playing the passage with alternate picking and just slowly trying to reach that speed? Should I look for practice techniques on alternate picking cause it's not easy for me to use that method when you're switching strings so rapidly like in this solo.
The reason you practice is to get better at things that you're not good at. Practice that specific passage to get better at it. There is no better exercise for a technique than a musical passage that you cannot play.
Alright, thanks for helping out a noob man haha.

Btw whats your style/genre? What do you like playing a lot?