I'm mostly a guitar player, but I do enjoy playing bass from time to time, but don't have a proper bass amp yet. I was wondering if it would be detrimental to my amp if I were to play my bass at low volumes (1-2) through it? It's a 50w 112 Peavey Valveking combo. Thanks.
As a general rule of thumb, you cannot play bass through a guitar amp, but you CAN play guitar through a bass amp (although it will probably sound like crap...except in rare cases like the Fender Bassman and the Marshall Super Bass).

This is because guitar speakers are optimized for guitar and are not made to handle the low frequencies and the "punch" or initial attack of a bass guitar. It will damage the cone on the speaker.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
The amp can take it. It will sound like crap but it will work so long as you keep the volume and gain very low.

The speakers are a different matter though. You can **** your speakers well and truly. So you'll still want to get a bass cab and for that money you can just buy a small bass combo amp that will sound a lot better and give you no problems.
You can do it, just change the speaker or plug it into a speaker cab.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Yuo can play it provided it goes into a bass cab. Guitar amps can handle bass fine, itll just sound different./ But guitar cabs will get damaged.
IIRC Lemmy uses a Plexi for his basslines?

I thought he used a Marshall Super Bass, but they're very similar amps anyway.

Rob Trujillo of Metallica uses a Triple Rectifier, though.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
You can do it, just change the speaker or plug it into a speaker cab.

Yup. I'm running a guitar head through a 2x15" bass cab. Sounds sweet. It's not uncommon to run guitar heads with bass cabs, or so I've heard.

The speakers in guitar cabs, far as I understand, don't handle the attack of a bass guitar too well. I'm assuming this is a problem with loud playing, or that it's at least a bigger problem with higher volumes than with bedroom-jamming.

Besides that, most guitar cabs sound like arse for use with a bass.