Page 1 of 2
Sooooo this thread will probably fail within the next hour, but it's worth a try...

Any cartoonists in The Pit? Anyone want to share their work?

For me I've been drawing cartoons since I was 10; my main recurring characters are red slugs:
My early works are done on MS Paint, but I started to get into handdrawn stuff with a fountain pen.
I kinda have a blog for my comics as well:
http://acrylicvent.blogspot.com/

===

SO, if you're any kind of cartoon artist, feel welcome to share your stuff, and recieve and give criticism ^^
Also to talk about already existing cartoons
No flaming, no non-constructive criticism, no spam... nooooo.... nope that's it...
Well first off your blog is not designed tastefully. You have text in many areas that's hard to read. Second you have very small fonts in some of these comics which also makes them hard to read. Third, I don't find these comics very funny. But your drawings are ok.
Behold my artsy art from many years ago (did these when I was 16 or something)

Last edited by CoreysMonster at Sep 18, 2011,
Quote by CoreysMonster
comics

For some reason I found these hilarious.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Plenty of UGers make comics.

I think.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by metaldud536
Well first off your blog is not designed tastefully. You have text in many areas that's hard to read. Second you have very small fonts in some of these comics which also makes them hard to read. Third, I don't find these comics very funny. But your drawings are ok.

Ouch. Thank you Simon Cowell. He is right though. That site needs a serious overhaul. Have a look at other comic sites that are successful, like penny arcade, and copy their layout. Maybe look into finding a writer to work with. The drawings have potential.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Behold my artsy art from many years ago (did these when I was 16 or something)

Those are pretty good
i made a comic one time, but i can't post, cause it would against the rules.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by EchoStrings
Yeah... guess you're right...

Thread fail :/

Hey I didn't post to be mean. At least someone is pointing out things you can work on. Not a lot of people look at my art so it's up to me for to improve on my own. Just keep going at it and look at some other comics and listen to comedians for inspiration.
I've done a lot of cartooning. I'm waiting to scan them, color them, and put them online; I'll show you guys once I do that (I'm taking a photoshop class to learn how to do that, because I don't know how to do anything with photoshop). As far as published cartoons, I've done political cartoons for my university newspaper.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by L42yB
Ouch. Thank you Simon Cowell. He is right though. That site needs a serious overhaul. Have a look at other comic sites that are successful, like penny arcade, and copy their layout. Maybe look into finding a writer to work with. The drawings have potential.

Heh I know what you mean though, about the poor layout XD
I was meaning to fix that...

A writer you say? Well it may be hard to believe due to crappy humour, but I do actually wish to work in comedy when I'm older...
I know what you mean though, but I guess these are aimed at a certain audience; people who work in the Media industry... I suppose I should widen the audience XD

Thanks for the advice ^^

Quote by metaldud536
Hey I didn't post to be mean. At least someone is pointing out things you can work on. Not a lot of people look at my art so it's up to me for to improve on my own. Just keep going at it and look at some other comics and listen to comedians for inspiration.

Lol Imma slow poster XDDDD

Sorry about that; took to the wrong way
Last edited by EchoStrings at Sep 18, 2011,
Quote by EchoStrings

Thanks for the advice ^^

Lol Imma slow poster XDDDD

Sorry about that; took to the wrong way

No prob. I recommend you get a copy of Adobe Illustrator. It's not hard to learn the pen tool and you'll be able to draw over your line work and give yourself smoother and straighter lines. You can do it in Photoshop too since it also has a pen tool but I'm more comfortable using Illustrator for doing line work.
Back in middle school, my friends and I wrote a comic book series (I was the artist). While we only finished one issue, it was super long and we all loved it.

I still draw, but much less often. Right now, I'm planning on creating a manga, but at this point I only have a concept sketch finished:

I'm slooooowly working on it, though; pretty much the entire story is worked out.
I like the cartoons from Randy Glasbergen. He is hilarious.
Just because I have some strong opinions doesn't mean I agree with everything I say.
Quote by Gunpowder
I've done a lot of cartooning. I'm waiting to scan them, color them, and put them online; I'll show you guys once I do that (I'm taking a photoshop class to learn how to do that, because I don't know how to do anything with photoshop). As far as published cartoons, I've done political cartoons for my university newspaper.

As promised:

http://somethingwittycomic.blogspot.com/
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]

Quote by Kensai

Quote by Dirge Humani

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by Jon777
Back in middle school, my friends and I wrote a comic book series (I was the artist). While we only finished one issue, it was super long and we all loved it.

I still draw, but much less often. Right now, I'm planning on creating a manga, but at this point I only have a concept sketch finished:

I'm slooooowly working on it, though; pretty much the entire story is worked out.

looks good enough, but you need some kind of flair of originality

well, not really, i mean, it looks like generic design #329302740847 is all im saying
it'll do the job if you got a good enough plot to back it up, but you've really not got memorable looking characters going on there
Quote by Ichikurosaki
looks good enough, but you need some kind of flair of originality

well, not really, i mean, it looks like generic design #329302740847 is all im saying
it'll do the job if you got a good enough plot to back it up, but you've really not got memorable looking characters going on there

True, true.

At the moment the characters may seem visually generic, but... eh, I'd like to think their personalities make up for that. I think the plot itself is original enough; character design has never really been my strongpoint.

Anyway, remember how I said I'd be working on this project? Yep... still haven't done anything beyond the concept sketch posted above.
Quote by Jon777

Impressive stuff
ggg1 ggg3

I wish I could post my brother's homemade notebook comic in here, but even if he wasn't embarassed and his writing was vaguely legible its mostly inside jokes, weird humor, and eraser smudges. There's also a picture of Moby Dick IN SPACE in that notebook somewhere but he draws too lightly to make a good scan.

As for myself, I'm a shit artist and the drawings I have aren't really cartoons, just drawings of famous people.
If anyone's drawings are in the vein of Gary Larson's Far Side cartoons I'll be happy to read them.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
I used to draw a stick figure comic daily. They bounced back and forth between amazingly witty and terrible excuses to make people fight and I loved every one of them. Carried on with them for a total of like 6 years off and on and even came up with some characters that I really like...

:Bad joke punisher
:Lynch victim, who hangs around and makes bad puns, like that one, and is punished (lolgeddit) through a visual pun by the BJP
:Land Shark, basically a Scumbag Steve only more manipulative and also has a shark head
:Cigar-wielding Badass, who has terribly suicidal ideas but they're badass because he's smoking a cigar
:The Pickpocket, who wears a beret, steals your wallet, and lies about it, then fights you over it. The humor to this one is a bit like the Purple-Shirted Eye Stabber.
:Manboob Man, who fights crime through the sheer terror of looking at his amazingly tight shirts
:KJ, my high school physics and chemistry teacher. >_>

If I uploaded any to photobucket I'll post em

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

There's a few people here.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Yep found two. The original BJP/LV, before I thought of visual puns as punishment

The other is really hard to read, but here it is This "fluorine will kill you" guy popped up on UG one day so I eviscerated him.. a week later, when this thought occurred to me

I know the art isn't anything to look at and honestly these aren't my favorites.... those tend to end up covered in a massive smudge.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse
Yep found two. The original BJP/LV, before I thought of visual puns as punishment

(Invalid img)

The other is really hard to read, but here it is This "fluorine will kill you" guy popped up on UG one day so I eviscerated him.. a week later, when this thought occurred to me

(Invalid img)

I know the art isn't anything to look at and honestly these aren't my favorites.... those tend to end up covered in a massive smudge.

I swear to god I've seen these before. They're awesome btw
Quote by R. Shackleford.
Glad to see the sex king getting some action I think it might be time for me to pull him out again tonight and take him for a spin around the rift.
TS: the artwork is very creative. the jokes/stories are kind of lacking. shows a lot of promise. just keep working at it.
#DTWD
Quote by AnEvilWalrus
I swear to god I've seen these before. They're awesome btw

They're in my photobucket because I posted them in the YLYL I got to open I might scan some more some time if you guys want

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Brandon860
I wholeheartedly enjoyed those

Thank you
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]

Quote by Kensai

Quote by Dirge Humani

FUCK ROCKS!
I write a webcomic / online graphic novel. I'd never actually done any kind of drawing on my own time, including notebook doodling, before I started this, so it's a bit rough right now. It's only got 11 pages up, but if you want to see it, it's here.

EDIT: Gunpowder: Your comics are hilarious. Your site design kind of sucks. Are you hoping to make those a regular thing? Because if you are, I can help get you set up. Meanwhile, you've earned mention in the rant for my next page.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Last edited by FrustratedRocka at Nov 10, 2011,
Yes it is. Pen and paper FTW.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Page 1 of 2