Page 1 of 3
Like the title says, what are some albums/songs that you feel have especially bad production that takes away from the musicianship and effect of the songs? An obvious example of bad production is Metallica's Death Magnetic, so don't bother ranting about that one
Metallica-- St. Anger, everything about it is bad, includign the production
OH HELL YES METALCORE
Slayer - Show No Mercy
Unrelated to the thread: I live six miles from Retford. I didn't realise there were real people within fifty miles of my village

You. Stole. My. Colour.
I was here first. I'll fight you for it!
inb4 Death Magn....... oh............
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
black metal
grindcore
noise music
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by ninnipinni93
The first Megadeth album.

And Justice for All.

I hear this all the time on here, can someone please explain this to me
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
Mountain Goats - All Hail West Texas

so good
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by vicarious46
I hear this all the time on here, can someone please explain this to me

The guitars, vocals, and drums, opposite of DM, are really dry sounding. I don't think it sounds terrible, but it really made the songs lack a punch they could have provided.

Nevermind the fact that the bass is literally inaudible.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
I can't stand a lot of early death metal, as the production just sounds so crap, at least to me.

Another for would be Kill 'em All. I think the guitars sound like crap, and the vocals have WAYYYYY too much reverb.

Actually, now that I think about it some more, Metallica should be the poster child for crap production

KeA - Just flat out bad
RtL - Can't hear the bass
MoP - Same as RtL
AJFA - No bass, and and drums sound way too thin and clicky
Black Album - Actually good
Load - Don't care
Reload - Don't care
St Anger - I don't need to go into detail
DM - everything sounds loud and compressed to all hell

<flameshield>
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Quote by StewieSwan
All BTBAM up until Colors.

Alaska had pretty good production

UnderOATH albums pre-Spencer were pretty poor production-wise.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Brown Album, by Primus.

Decent songs, but the quality of the songs makes it annoying to listen to. This was more of a recording issue instead of a production issue.
Quote by muffinduck01
I can't stand a lot of early death metal, as the production just sounds so crap, at least to me.

You aren't alone, Morbid Angel's production makes me enjoy Blessed less than I want to enjoy it.

There is a good quality to the rougher production, and I honestly hate overproduced plastic metal more than the stuff that sounds like they recorded it on answering machines, but good production can make a band so much better. It is like another instrument and band member altogether.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by muffinduck01

Check out Relapse's re-releases of Death. They've done Human and TSoP so far, and Individual Thought Patterns comes out in a few weeks. They did a total remix/remaster of Human, and it sounds phenomenal. TSoP only got remastered, but (imo) the new release sounds better than the old master.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by TheWickerMan666

Unrelated to the thread: I live six miles from Retford. I didn't realise there were real people within fifty miles of my village

I was here first. I'll fight you for it!

You already have Comic Sans, I get Medium Turquoise!
you're a stone fox
Definitely Trivium's Ember to Inferno and The Crusade. I hate the production on The Crusade.

The Human Abstract's Midheaven.

BTBAM's S/T and The Silent Circus

Meshuggah's Destroy, Erase, Improve

The aforementioned Metallica albums.
Quote by Das_Skittles
Check out Relapse's re-releases of Death. They've done Human and TSoP so far, and Individual Thought Patterns comes out in a few weeks. They did a total remix/remaster of Human, and it sounds phenomenal. TSoP only got remastered, but (imo) the new release sounds better than the old master.

Is the bass more audible? Steve is too good to be buried in the mix.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Pretty much everything on SST.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
The original mastering on Megadeth's Killing Is My Business sucks.
Quote by palm mute
Is the bass more audible? Steve is too good to be buried in the mix.

Yes. It's fantastic. Also, if you get the three disc collector's edition, they've included the drum and bass sessions (which were recorded live) as a separate CD. I actually enjoy listening to just those because Sean and Steve make such a phenomenal rhythm section.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
I really don't like the production of Kezia by protest the hero, even though every other person who listens to them thinks that album is the greatest thing ever.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
If at first you don't succeed, play bass.

Quote by Jackal58
Cats don't think. They plot.

Catch me on FLICKR
Proud owner of a beautiful PRS P22
ILLUMINAUDIO - Chiodos.....

it would have been a great album if they had not barried the guitars so much and aded fuzz on all of his screams....
I haz gotten gud
Quote by Das_Skittles
Yes. It's fantastic. Also, if you get the three disc collector's edition, they've included the drum and bass sessions (which were recorded live) as a separate CD. I actually enjoy listening to just those because Sean and Steve make such a phenomenal rhythm section.

This has made my day, Steve and Sean were the best rhythm section Death ever had in my opinion. The Human line up was so legendary.

I know what I am going to buy soon
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by Das_Skittles

I'm gonna have to give them a listen, I didn't know this was happening. Do you know if there are plans to remaster Spiritual Healing? Last I knew it was completely out of print. I remember Epic records remastered all of the AC/DC albums a few years ago, and they did a good job.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Every fucking Hüsker Dü album. It works up until New Day Rising.

And I feel like I could enjoy Bivouac by Jawbreaker way more if it didn't sound so terrible. The drums, Blake's voice, everything sounds so hollow.

Other than that, I don't usually get too hung up on production.
Last edited by due 07 at Sep 18, 2011,
COMIC SAAAAAAAAAANS

OT: Holland, 1945 by Neutral Milk Hotel

I know it was done on purpose, but I just don't like it as much as I would have if it had better production
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by Primus2112
OT: Holland, 1945 by Neutral Milk Hotel

I know it was done on purpose, but I just don't like it as much as I would have if it had better production

Fuck you. That entire album is perfect. Perfect.
Page 1 of 3