After a year long hiatus without playing guitar I need to get back into it. To help me out, I want to get some recording gear. Something under $300, preferably 8+ tracks and a drum machine bundled into one. I have no idea what $300 can get me which is why I need some help. I assume my style doesn't matter but just in case, I play a mix between... Pixies and Pelican with some double bass flares/off-beats thrown in. Any advice is good advice!
Recording has progressed long beyond the days of the 8-track, my friend. If you have a decent computer, get the following:

REAPER
A drum VST (Superior Drummer for example)
Audio interface (Mbox 2 or M Audio Fast Track Pro)
Shure SM57
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
You whippersnappers are making all kinds of fancy mumbo-jumbo nowadays, aren't ya? I have an average laptop but programs aren't my thing. Too impersonal. I need something to feel and poke around with. Definitely need to be able to transfer recordings to a computer so no tapes or anything like that. I do appreciate the list you gave, I will look into those when I get a desktop again.
having a laptop has no way of slowing you down
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
We sometimes use a Boss BR-800 for quick demos when something portable is required.

Doesn't quite fit your requirements of 8 tracks, but it does record 4 tracks simultaneous and plays back 8. It does have a built in drum machine.

Not my favourite piece of equipment, but it does the job it was meant for.
If I were to use my laptop, what's the best method for input? I remember bad things when my buddy and I started recording via the mic port...

Quintex, thank you! That seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.
u can change the mic input to a line in through your settings to get a better receiving sound. im doing it as we speak. i have a 1/4" adapter to a 2 way 3.5mm from my zoom pedal to my mic input. changed it to a line input and it works like a dream
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED