Page 1 of 2
...or have horrible pasts or something. 6 suicide attempts last time i checked.. Nothing I have tried makes them feel any better...got any suggestions anyone?
OH HELL YES METALCORE
Last edited by EyeForgot at Sep 18, 2011,
Get new friends.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Unfortunately, pulling someone out of depression isn't as simple as "making them feel better." So...
Quote by michal23
Become depressed yourself. Then you can all wallow in your misery together.

This.
I agree with Trowzaa, misery loves company and depression and negative attitudes can be contagious believe it or not.
Keep them occupied. Listen to them (you needent even speak, just here what they have to say). If they're depressed about something you know about, try and give them help and advice, if you aren't maybe suggest someone who is?
You must be an awfully boring person then if they all wanna kill themselves.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Quote by Trowzaa
Get new friends.

Nothing you can really do too much that would help. Convince them to hike a mountain or something though, could be beneficial.
Hugs.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
hookers and ice cream.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by pushingthrough
I agree with Trowzaa, misery loves company and depression and negative attitudes can be contagious believe it or not.

Unfortunately, this.

If your friends are really unhappy people due to serious issues then there's really nothing you can do to help them, other than be there for them when they need you and maybe suggest getting help.

If you're an otherwise happy person then surrounding yourself with a bunch of depressing dudes is going to bring you down as well, because as pushingthrough said, negative attitudes can be very contagious, so you might want to start spending more time with happier people.
Quote by Trowzaa
Get new friends.

^this

I had similar problem myself. I was first trying pretty hard to help all of them but the effect was pretty much none. After some time I srsly grew sick of their eternal whining, but somehow i just couldn't tell them to **** off. Moved away (for different reason though) and lost pretty much all contact with my former friends. My life's waaaaay happier now.
Quote by michal23
Become depressed yourself. Then you can all wallow in your misery together.

isn't that how My Chemical Romance were formed?
Misery loves company.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by EyeForgot
got any suggestions anyone?

I guarantee they'll forget about anything bad for at least a few minutes. You could even do it together to show your companionship in tough times.

Yeah I'm unhelpful.

Edit: The picture dissapeared.. it was fapping, fyi.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Last edited by Silent Murder at Sep 18, 2011,
Quote by Afroboy267
isn't that how My Chemical Romance were formed?

Quote by homeless-john
Magician. People like magicians.

“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
I had a few friends who were seriously depressed. The way I got them through was by keeping constant contact with them, taking them out for long walks and talking about everything, getting them to tell me everything, and when I couldn't help, I told them, I couldn't help. Sometimes the realisation that only they can help themselves out of their situation is enough to motivate them to push through and really sort things.

My friends are now a lot happier, even though my life was hell for a few months. Trying to get somebody to be happy is no fun when they only whine. It'll seem as if no matter what you say to them, or what you do, they don't listen. Get angry at them, show force, but compassion - A loving kick up the backside.

Just make sure you have something to keep your emotional stamina up: I had my wonderful girlfriend.
Don't you hate it when you're reading a sentence and it doesn't end how you testicles.

Did you hear the one about the boy with the short atten
Quote by EyeForgot
...or have horrible pasts or something. 6 suicide attempts last time i checked.. Nothing I have tried makes them feel any better...got any suggestions anyone?

Try giving them drugs.
Quote by bradulator
Misery loves company.

Disagree.

As someone who might be considered a depressed friend, all you can do is be there for them. Don't ditch them for for happier friends, that's stupid. The last thing depressed people need is to be even more alone. If you feel like their negativity is bringing you down consider your positivity might lift their spirits. Of course I'm assuming when you say depressed they are actually depressed and not just bitching and sucking you into their world. There's a difference.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Quote by fail
Disagree.

As someone who might be considered a depressed friend, all you can do is be there for them. Don't ditch them for for happier friends, that's stupid. The last thing depressed people need is to be even more alone. If you feel like their negativity is bringing you down consider your positivity might lift their spirits. Of course I'm assuming when you say depressed they are actually depressed and not just bitching and sucking you into their world. There's a difference.

Depending on the nature of their depression, the first thing they need may also be a wake-up call in the form of a kick in the pants, metaphorically speaking, either to get professional help if they need it, or to try to start having a better outlook on life, if they don't.
^ Depends on the person, but if these people have already tried to commit suicide I doubt a kick in the pants is going to wake them up. If trying to take your own life doesn't tell you you need help then losing all your friends really shouldn't help either.
Quote by fail
Disagree.

Important bit. Some people are just whiny and drama filled, that isn't depression.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Last edited by palm mute at Sep 18, 2011,
All my friends are depressed too... and invisible.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Stop listening to that depressing dark metal crap.
Just because I have some strong opinions doesn't mean I agree with everything I say.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Depending on the nature of their depression, the first thing they need may also be a wake-up call in the form of a kick in the pants, metaphorically speaking, either to get professional help if they need it, or to try to start having a better outlook on life, if they don't.

Sure. But a wake-up call need not come from someone who doesn't know how to handle depression. Being abandoned hits a lot harder when you're depressed. A 'kick in the pants' can trigger something much worse.

I'm speaking from experience here. A few years ago I had a good group of friends but I was extremely depressed, negative, distrusting, and a whole bunch of other shit that would understandably make people not want to be around me. And that's what happened. I lost everyone and now I'm worse off because of it. Sure I could've behaved myself, and I regret it. But my head was not in the right place at the time. It's not like my intentions were to bring people down. But it's nearly impossible to see out of the hole of depression. If at least one of them had stuck with me through it all I wouldn't be as much of a lonely motherfucker today.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Last edited by fail at Sep 18, 2011,
Quote by palm mute
^ Depends on the person, but if these people have already tried to commit suicide I doubt a kick in the pants is going to wake them up. If trying to take your own life doesn't tell you you need help then losing all your friends really shouldn't help either.

Like I said, then they need help. Suicidal people have serious issues that can't be solved by buddies or friends. If you had a drug addict as a friend, wouldn't you also urge them to get help to cure their problem, but then discard them as a friend if they continued going down the wrong path without trying to get better?

Quote by fail
Sure. But a wake-up call need not come from someone who doesn't know how to handle depression. Being abandoned hits a lot harder when you're depressed. A 'kick in the pants' can trigger something much worse.

I had missed the part about suicide in the OP, that obviously hints towards serious issues that TS definitely can't help them with.

In my case, at least, it was a kick in the pants that dislodged my head from my ass after a long time, which in fact was a result of being abandoned time and time again because nobody wanted to put up with my depressing shit and issues anymore - but then I was never really suicidal, either, so this goes beyond anything I really know about from myself.

All I know is depressed and suicidal people are shitty friends. Sounds harsh, but it's true.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Sep 18, 2011,
^ Somethings work for some people, and do the opposite for others. I just wouldn't try the kick in the pants approach because if it doesn't work it could set off alot worse problems. I would try to get them to professional help, since they are better trained in finding out what will help each person best. Even that may not work, but atleast you tried. I think eventually if it went on too long I would distance myself from someone sucking me down all the time.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Like I said, then they need help. Suicidal people have serious issues that can't be solved by buddies or friends. If you had a drug addict as a friend, wouldn't you also urge them to get help to cure their problem, but then discard them as a friend if they continued going down the wrong path without trying to get better?

Friends can persuade you to get help when you might have otherwise not. I agree that you should look after yourself too though, don't let someone drag you down just because they are depressed, but if you have a friend that needs help you should atleast try to help them. The moral support can sometimes make all the difference.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Last edited by palm mute at Sep 18, 2011,
You need to be there for them. However sadness is infectious. Keep two depressed people away from eachother.
Quote by palm mute
Friends can persuade you to get help when you might have otherwise not. I agree that you should look after yourself too though, don't let someone drag you down just because they are depressed, but if you have a friend that needs help you should atleast try to help them. The moral support can sometimes make all the difference.

oh definitely, but there comes a point when you have to remind yourself that you are not responsible for the well-being of others, and that there's only so much you can do.

I think we're both on the same page with this topic
Quote by CoreysMonster
oh definitely, but there comes a point when you have to remind yourself that you are not responsible for the well-being of others, and that there's only so much you can do.

I think we're both on the same page with this topic

Yeah, I think so too
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by CoreysMonster
In my case, at least, it was a kick in the pants that dislodged my head from my ass after a long time, which in fact was a result of being abandoned time and time again because nobody wanted to put up with my depressing shit and issues anymore - but then I was never really suicidal, either, so this goes beyond anything I really know about from myself.

It's definitely a case by case thing. But it can become an awful cycle. Be depressed, be abandoned, get even more depressed because of that, be abandoned again because of that, etc.

All I know is depressed and suicidal people are shitty friends. Sounds harsh, but it's true.

Depends. People can also be great friends because of their depression. More insightful and understanding.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Page 1 of 2