i have been playing for almost a year im a decent rythem guitarist. but i cant solo at all i cant learn anything off the tabs they all sound horible to me no matter what the rating is. is it my playing or the tabs. the only solos i can play are nothing else matters one fade to black and children of the damned. i have tried writing solos to and they just sound like scales to me. if you have any advice leave a comment thank you
You tried learning on your own and it didn't work. That's ok. You know what you need to learn, so find a music teacher to help you out.
i know it dosnt happen over night but i can spend weeks trying to learn the 1st line of a solo and it dosnt sound right at all i have been trying back in black and the trooper and i cant learn any of it
make sure your in tune, and i know that sounds stupid. but i mean realllyyy in tune. way to many beginners go through a lot of frustration because they can't figure out why it doesnt sound right and think it's their tone, when really its just they're not in tune. Also, just gotta work on those chops. play play play. start learning albums instead of songs to keep yourself occupied as well as develop your ear. I always had the same problem, i know how frustrating it can be, but good luck! feel free to message me with any questions or askin for tips =)
I've been playing for almost 15 years and can hardly solo, as far as not sounding like scals work on phrasing and learn the basic scales over the neck
thank you for the advice what are some basic metal/rock solos that should be easy to learn
For solo's, pick a scale, and use the notes in that scale to make a melody. It doesnt have to be a 300bpm sweep picking solo, just make it something you are fine with playing.

Also, BE COMFORTABLE when you are playing. This makes a HUGE difference (for me at least). Just be comfortable playing. And there are no wrong notes when soloing, just have fun and if you hit a "wrong" note, maybe go off of that note, try something different. YOU are your biggest critic.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Learn the techniques first. Trying to learn a solo without having decent lead skills is like trying to learn to play somgs before learning how to play guitar. Some do approach it this way but I wouldn't recommend it.
Hammer ons, pull offs, bending, vibrato, ascending and decending runs etc are all things you can work on first. BTW not every good guitar player becomes a lead player. A good rythm player seems to be more rare though.
Moving on.....
I just started to incorporate lead licks in my rhythm playing, instead of just power chord chugging, throw some single note licks in there, and it helps build single note playing.

Its' takes time dude, I've been playing for 7 years, and I still can't solo as good as I wish I could...if at all.
okay thank you i just messed around for a few hours and came up with a decent lick im gonna work on it more tomorrow i might put it up here so i can get advice
What KenG and AWACS said. Do you have any recording equipment? An ipod or something would work. Try jamming over your own rhythm playing and see what you come up with.

Good luck!
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
I've been playing for over a decade and I can't solo to save my life, some people just don't have it in them. I can play the most complex rhythm parts in the world but you put some petrucci shit in front of me and it takes ages for me to even figure out the fingering, let alone the timing.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Quote by CJ Noble
I've been playing for over a decade and I can't solo to save my life, some people just don't have it in them. I can play the most complex rhythm parts in the world but you put some petrucci shit in front of me and it takes ages for me to even figure out the fingering, let alone the timing.

being a good rhythm player is far more important than being able to play solos imo. solos usually take up a very small portion of the song and the rest of the time, you're most likely gonna be playing rhythm anyway

nobody can tell you how to magically become amazing at guitar solos, you have to put the work in. practice scales just to keep your fingers well exercised but be careful not to get them locked into going up and down scales - try things like going up and down in different intervals. and learn about phrasing, chord-tones etc. this will help you write solos that sound like solos instead of scales. work hard at it until it starts to come naturally to you. that's the only way.

that might sound like a lot of work and it is. but it's work that has to be done.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Basically you just fiddle around with scales. Just make sure that it's in the key that the song is in.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
i agreee wholeheartly

Quote by AWACS
For solo's, pick a scale, and use the notes in that scale to make a melody. It doesnt have to be a 300bpm sweep picking solo, just make it something you are fine with playing.

Also, BE COMFORTABLE when you are playing. This makes a HUGE difference (for me at least). Just be comfortable playing. And there are no wrong notes when soloing, just have fun and if you hit a "wrong" note, maybe go off of that note, try something different. YOU are your biggest critic.
I've played for a few years, and the only reason I can solo is because I practice scale patterns all the time. But if you asked me, for example, to play a D5 it would take me 30 seconds to realise what I just heard and another 30 to find it.
Didnt read all this^^ but this is what I do.
Play a track. Any track in any scale. Listen to it a few times through to get the feel, now hum or sing a run over it. Transfer to guitar. Done.