Gnostic Atheist
36 19%
Agnostic Theist
36 19%
Gnostic Theist
9 5%
Voters: 192.
Page 1 of 3
Classify yourself as agnostic atheist, gnostic atheist, gnostic theist, or agnostic theist.

I'm just interested in the results.

EDIT: I'd like to hear you guys' positions for your beliefs. I'd especially like to hear a good argument for gnostic theism.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Alvarez SLM
Orange Dark Terror
Orange PPC212OB 2x12 cab
Yamaha P-85 Keyboard
Last edited by TheSPillow at Sep 18, 2011,
Quote by ethan_hanus
Lol, gnostic...I swear, the guy making up words in the English language must be a 4 year old.

I believe in God...I don't classify myself because I'm hip.

Gnostic has been a word for quite a long time.
The distinction between gnostic and agnostic atheist isn't needed and ultimately pointless, but I guess I'm gnostic.
Eh agnostic theist. I believe in some other, higher being but I don't know it's nature and such.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Which one do you choose if you not only know Gods exist, but are having a mean game of checkers with them right at this very moment?
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I believe in Jediism. You guys are freakin nerds
Not exactly a frequent poster.
pantheist, so i guess out of those four i'd be closest to gnostic atheist.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by hawk5211
HA, i see i'm in the minority on this poll...

Looks like you were number 1?

I'm number 2.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by ethan_hanus
Lol, gnostic...I swear, the guy making up words in the English language must be a 4 year old.

I believe in God...I don't classify myself because I'm hip.

It's a greek word that has been borrowed in English. It literally translates to "knowledge".
Last edited by RU Experienced? at Sep 18, 2011,
Quote by due 07
The distinction between gnostic and agnostic atheist isn't needed and ultimately pointless, but I guess I'm gnostic.

How so?

Me, I'm an agnostic atheist technically but it makes more sense to me to identify as an apatheist.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Agnostic cause it would be kinda pompous to assume we have that kinda knowledge. Atheist cause well duh.
Quote by due 07

It is a mildly pointless distinction, but I think gnosticism in any form is a bit arrogant. To assume we have enough knowledge in the world to know for sure on the existence of a God or not is just plain unscientific.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by Weaponized
Agnostic cause it would be kinda pompous to assume we have that kinda knowledge. Atheist cause well duh.

It doesn't assume that we have it now, just that it would be possible for us to have it.

OT: I voted Agnostic Atheism, but the question is ill-defined. It depends on what you mean by God. If you mean the Roman Gods or the God of the Abrahamic traditions or whatever then ya, Gnostic Atheism; but there are possible conceptions of God that one would have to be Agnostic about.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by palm mute
It is a mildly pointless distinction, but I think gnosticism in any form is a bit arrogant. To assume we have enough knowledge in the world to know for sure on the existence of a God or not is just plain unscientific.

Not at all. Gnosticism assumes that it's possible to discover gods, not that we can immediately rule out the notion of whether or not gods exist.
Quote by fail
How so?

There's really no reason to distinguish between the two, as both are atheist. They masquerade as being, say, "different levels" of atheism, when they are really the same level of atheism.
oh you silly non believers and your petty classifications.
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!
Quote by due 07
There's really no reason to distinguish between the two, as both are atheist. They masquerade as being, say, "different levels" of atheism, when they are really the same level of atheism.

That's true, but it's still convenient to communicate ones general beliefs on religion more succinctly and accurately than to just identify oneself as an atheist or theist.
Agnostic Theist. Not christian
Quote by CPDmusic
I'm content with being a horny mutant lizard.
Last edited by piercedthought at Sep 18, 2011,
^Can I ask which religion then?
Quote by due 07
Not at all. Gnosticism assumes that it's possible to discover gods, not that we can immediately rule out the notion of whether or not gods exist.

Gnostic Atheism is assuming it is possible to discover there aren't any gods. It all depends on your definition of a god though, I am looking at it from the viewpoint of any form of creator rather than an established theological deity.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Last edited by palm mute at Sep 18, 2011,
Right now I'm sort of an agnostic deist, sort of. Eh, I'll think about it later.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by palm mute

I'm gonna throw a random one out there from context clues and go with Thestic Satanist
Quote by son_of_bodom
oh you silly non believers and your petty classifications.

There are ~38,000 different Christian denominations alone. Everyone loves classifications.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by TheWEBBY
I'm gonna throw a random one out there from context clues and go with Thestic Satanist

Don't judge a book by it's cover
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Gnostic atheist, I suppose.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
Quote by Dirge Humani
The Greek language was invented to further the liberal agenda, though.

So that is why science is so fond of it
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by palm mute

wiccan for most of my life
Quote by TheWEBBY

ha
Quote by CPDmusic
I'm content with being a horny mutant lizard.
Last edited by piercedthought at Sep 18, 2011,
Page 1 of 3