I have a peavy vyper 60 and the tubes have gone bad and now I need to find replacement ones. I dont have a large about of money to spend but i would like your imput. my amp has 2 6L6 and one 12AX7. I have been looking at a pair of Mesa/Boogie 6L6 GC STR 440 for 42 bucks. This would be my first time toying with my amp or changing my tubes so I dont have a clue.
Assuming you are using the same type of tubes, you probably don't have to re-bias. However, for best sound and performance, you should re-bias the amp. For that you need a multimeter and tube testers. If you aren't sure on how to re-bias tubes, and can't follow a youtube video or read a FAQ, then take it to a tech and have them do it. It is definitely not something that you want to be messing around with if you don't know what to do.

As for tubes, you can most likely get some generic tubes at your local music store. If you want something specific, you need to go online to places like tubedepot.com

For 2 6L6s and 1 12ax7 shouldn't be more than $50.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Stay away from the Mesa tubes, they are just rebranded Ruby tubes...nothing wrong with them, they are great reliable tubes, I ran a set through my Valveking, but there's better for the price.

I'm actually very happy with my TAD(Tube Amp Doctor) 6L6GCSTR tubes, great tubes, same price.
My local store sells mesa tubes for a good price and they have done great work on my guitars so i will just end up bringing my amp down to them. just was wondering if i should go with the tubes they carry or others, whats some good brands to look at?
JJ, Sovtek, mullard, electro harmonix, tung-sol. They are all good.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Stay away from the Mesa tubes, they are just rebranded Ruby tubes...nothing wrong with them, they are great reliable tubes, I ran a set through my Valveking, but there's better for the price.

I'm actually very happy with my TAD(Tube Amp Doctor) 6L6GCSTR tubes, great tubes, same price.

Rebranded Rubies? Ruby are a rebranding outfit too, they don't manufacture tubes themselves. TAD just rebrand tubes too.

If you can afford SED =C= 6L6's get them. If not get JJ's.
For the 12AX7 get JAN Phillips if you can afford it, if not a JJ ECC83S.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Sep 19, 2011,
Quote by Cathbard
Rebranded Rubies? Ruby are a rebranding outfit too, they don't manufacture tubes themselves. TAD just rebrand tubes too.

If you can afford SED =C= 6L6's get them. If not get JJ's.
For the 12AX7 get JAN Phillips if you can afford it, if not a JJ ECC83S.

Who knows where tubes come from anymore, it's like everything is just a rebrand of some obscure brand that nobody has ever heard of.